Brewer Fanatic

Corey Kluber available?

adambr2
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the financials are being somewhat overstated as a potential road block. I believe the Brewers have budgeted money to spend on pitching when the time is right. I don't think they have a fixed salary threshold etched in stone.

With the last two years of Kluber's contract being team options subject to buyout the risk is significantly mitigated. Obviously you hope to get three great years from Kluber, but if something catastrophic occurs you can pay the $1 million buyout and rid yourself of the financial commitment. That is a good framework to start with for a club that can't afford to be sunk with multiple years of dead money.

Couldn't agree more. Was it 2 years ago that payroll was like $60 million? We definitely banked a ton of money that year. Also that new tv deal is going to help a lot, with the attendance we get...we could be a fringe middle of the pack payroll team.

Kluber is the type of pitcher you consider making "untouchable" prospects or young pieces available for. I probably wouldn't be willing to do it but I understand if they pony up what it would take and wouldn't be disappointed.

I'd offer Ray, Santana, Peralta +minor league pieces. Idk if that would get it done.

I feel like many of you are failing to consider Kluber's age or contract with comments. He's owed $52M over the next 3 years and turns 33 this year. Would the Brewers sign Kluber for $52M over 3 years? Absolutely. Should we give up top prospects for the right to pay age 33-35 of Kluber $52M? That's a significantly different question. I'd recommend noting his age and contract when considering what you might offer or not offer.

I feel like many of you are failing to consider Kluber's age or contract with comments. He's owed $52M over the next 3 years and turns 33 this year. Would the Brewers sign Kluber for $52M over 3 years? Absolutely. Should we give up top prospects for the right to pay age 33-35 of Kluber $52M? That's a significantly different question. I'd recommend noting his age and contract when considering what you might offer or not offer.

Or maybe some of you are drastically overrating the value of Brewers players?

Since 2014 his lowest WAR (according to fangraphs) is 5.1 with a high of 7.4 but you don't think we should give up anything for him besides our #2 prospect (who isn't rated in the top 100). You can't get a Cy Young caliber pitcher for multiple years (team controlled through 2021) without giving up something of value.

Top prospect lists are for fans. GMs could care less. Ray is a young (24) 5-tool OF who was a very high pick and is finally living up to that potential. Value is high.

Ray is not a 5 tool player. Below average hit tool and average defense tool.

I’d love to trade Ray while his year was reasonably good. Though his super low hit tool will make him very likely to fail at the MLB level. Let’s hope other teams ignore that. At best he is a worse version of Brinson so if you think Brinson is a bust you have to say Ray will be too.

Ray, Peralta, Santana, and Anderson but I doubt that gets it done.

Even with his age & contract Kluber ranked 12th on FanGraphs Top 50 Trade Value Series published at the 2018 All Star Break.

Nathan Eovaldi has posted 2.9 WAR the last three seasons & just got 4/68.

Kluber has posted 18 WAR the last three seasons. Sure he is older, but he'd be getting way more than 3/52 were he a free agent this offseason so there is plenty of surplus value on his deal.

He will require a significant haul & rightfully so.

I’d love to trade Ray while his year was reasonably good. Though his super low hit tool will make him very likely to fail at the MLB level. Let’s hope other teams ignore that. At best he is a worse version of Brinson so if you think Brinson is a bust you have to say Ray will be too.

Ray, Peralta, Santana, and Anderson but I doubt that gets it done.

Ray actually made significant strides with his hit tool this year. He made mechanical adjustments allowing him to get to the inside pitch more consistently. It showed in his HR total. I think his contact rate is highly likely to improve when he nails down his mechanics and is simply thinking about results and not thinking about mechanics at the plate. I have to imagine that will be this year...it's a bit make or break for him.

Hiura +++ for three years of Kluber is obviously more than fair, I'm just not confident in our immediate win-now chances in 2019 to go out on a limb like that. Counting on a pitcher to remain elite through age 35 is always a huge risk.

Keeping our last bluechip positional prospect sets us up for sustained success as a small payroll team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Dodgers are reportedly very interested in Kluber, and Alex Verdugo is someone the Tribe likes. Verdugo was #32 on MLB's Top 100 in 2018. High average guy who takes a lot of walks, doesn't strike out that much. Has hit .320+ at AAA over the last two years. He's major league ready, which would be perfect for Cleveland.

In the end, we have to beat other teams' offers as well as put together an attractive package.

The Dodgers are reportedly very interested in Kluber, and Alex Verdugo is someone the Tribe likes. Verdugo was #32 on MLB's Top 100 in 2018. High average guy who takes a lot of walks, doesn't strike out that much. Has hit .320+ at AAA over the last two years. He's major league ready, which would be perfect for Cleveland.

In the end, we have to beat other teams' offers as well as put together an attractive package.

If I’m Dodgers I sell off Puig or Kemp & insert Verdugo. I guess when money is endless you don’t need to think that way.

I still like Bauer better. Age & he continues to trend up each season. Whatever deal keeps Huira I’m good with

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Hiura +++ for three years of Kluber is obviously more than fair, I'm just not confident in our immediate win-now chances in 2019 to go out on a limb like that. Counting on a pitcher to remain elite through age 35 is always a huge risk.

Keeping our most-well regarded and advanced bluechip positional prospect sets us up for sustained success as a small payroll team.

Fixed your earlier statement - there are other blue chip positional prospects in the Brewers' system right now, they just haven't had the time to develop as professional players yet.

No way Hiura is getting traded by Stearns. If he makes a trade of impact using prospects, he will continue to utilize prospects/young players within the organization that he didn't draft.

• 2 weeks later...
If The Reds are going to offer Senzel and Trammell in a Kluber deal we have a hard time competing with that unless we add Huira which sounds like its not happening.

The article states that the Indians asked about Senzel and Trammell, not that the Reds were willing to offer both of them. I think if they were willing part with both, the trade would already be done.

Shocking development, the Indians like senzel. I also heard a rumor that the yankees like mike trout.

I think the Indians are selling at a really good time on him. The market is on fire and kluber has considerable risk of decline at some point in the next 3 years.

At age 32, I have to agree with you in that Klubers best days are likely behind him. Maybe he puts together another solid season or two but I cant see him continuing to put up ridiculous numbers into his mid-30's. Especially after he looked gassed in the playoffs last year.

Here is a link to a MLBtraderumors.com article passing on the Morosi report:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/corey-kluber-trade-rumors-padres-indians.html

And here is the text:

"The Padres are among the teams discussing a trade for two-time AL Cy Young winner Corey Kluber with the Indians, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Morosi further tweets that several other NL clubs — the Dodgers, Reds, Phillies and Brewers — are also involved in Kluber talks to varying degrees. San Diego, he notes, is not believed to be any sort of favorite at the moment."

I gotta say that I really hope the Brewer don't pull the trigger here. Kluber has been excellent, however, i just don't see him keeping up the success in his mid 30's. Gotta believe the cost will be huge with the 3 years of control left.

The Brewers, like most teams, have interest in trading for Corey Kluber. But to this point, the asking price has been too high. Unless it comes down, it is unlikely they will be significant players for his services.

In other words, Stearns is scared...too freaking scared to give up some PROSPECTS that may or may not be good for a CY young winner..scared money don't make money. Meanwhile, the Cardinals, Cubs, and even the Reds are getting better and DS makes game changing acquistions of Corey Spangenberg and Ben Gamel...World Series winning moves for sure!

Archived