Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

Fixing the catcher and 2B positions might go a long way for the pitching issue we may have if some guys don't perform to what they did a year ago. It will also take a little bit of pressure off guys like Cain & Yelich to not always have to be the producers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't we past finding the "cheapest serviceable option" though? ......

Not in this instance. If you save money on 2B, then you have that money for midseason acquistions or even picking up a new catcher or pitcher now.

And the position to save at is 2B, as Hiura is in the wings and will come up when he is conservatively can save us a year of control. Perez can play there if needed, especially if we pick up a lefty bat. And if Hiura isn't an improvement due to injury or performance, 2B isn't that hard to usually find a guy to trade for.

Perez is a serviceable option. He's good defensively, hits LH pitching reasonably well and playing on a more regular basis might help his offense tick up. I think the idea is to get better production at the position at a good value and maintain strength on the bench by having Perez be the main utility guy. There's a lot of names out there for certain. Like I said if they can deal Thames they can address 2B with multiple guys who can also fill in at 1B and 3B adding production at the position and replacing a lot of Thames' punch. I named two in Dietrich and Solarte but there's others.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

1m

Why would #Brewers even consider free agent Daniel Murphy when he annually rates as one of the worst defenders at 2B? Same reason they were comfortable playing Travis Shaw at the position last season. MIL believes team’s shifting can reduce impact of an infielder’s limited range.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

1m

Why would #Brewers even consider free agent Daniel Murphy when he annually rates as one of the worst defenders at 2B? Same reason they were comfortable playing Travis Shaw at the position last season. MIL believes team’s shifting can reduce impact of an infielder’s limited range.

I really like Murphy as a target, as he can help out at 1b if needed.

Murphy is probably the best bat available at 2b on the FA market.

I do wonder if they end up signing Murphy if that makes Thames disposable from a roster construction stand point. I know people want to dump Thames because of the salary, but from a roster construction standpoint he still makes some sense. If they add Murphy, Thames becomes a tad redundant.

Murphy is older, slower, less productive, and on a more precipitous decline than Neil Walker was when the Brewers wisely decided not to re-sign him. I'd pass. I don't like any of the options and would have rather kept Villar and Perez as the 2b's one more year until the right upgrade opportunity comes along. And I hated Villar.

I'm not really worried about Murphy as a hitter. He will almost certainly hit pretty well.

I am concerned about the defense at second base though. Maybe being further away from his knee surgery will improve his mobility some.

Last season the rotation was fly ball heavy. But there's a reasonable chance that Anderson, Peralta, and Suter aren't in the rotation next year. Woodruff, Burnes, Nelson, and Davies are more ground ball heavy while Chacin is closer to being neutral. Yes positioning matters, but with more ground ball pitchers you're looking at more opportunities for failure. Murphy also looked very cumbersome trying to turn the double play last year.

It's interesting that we've heard the Brewers connected to Kinsler and Murphy. Pretty different skill sets at this point in their careers. The one common theme between the two is that they're probably 1 year deals and neither is a major road block for Hiura if they decide he's ready.

Put me the camp of not wanting someone "cheap and serviceable." The Brewers were on the cusp of the World Series and the most significant way they can improve for 2019 is to get better production out of 2B. I'd like the Brewers to target their guy and get him. That said, I'd prefer it be a one year deal with the expectation that Hiura can take over in 2020. I would overpay to get a one year deal if necessary.

Put me the camp of not wanting someone "cheap and serviceable." The Brewers were on the cusp of the World Series and the most significant way they can improve for 2019 is to get better production out of 2B. I'd like the Brewers to target their guy and get him. That said, I'd prefer it be a one year deal with the expectation that Hiura can take over in 2020. I would overpay to get a one year deal if necessary.

If you are limiting yourself to one year, then you very well are probably not targeting the best 2B. So you are probably contradicting yourself.

I think a lefty bat to platoon with Perez would be enough to get through to Hiura.

Sign Murphy one year and trade away Thames.

If you are limiting yourself to one year, then you very well are probably not targeting the best 2B. So you are probably contradicting yourself.

I think a lefty bat to platoon with Perez would be enough to get through to Hiura.

Sign Murphy one year and trade away Thames.

I'm saying the best they can get on a one year deal. What I'm not in favor of is waiting until March for the one who doesn't have a deal so we can get him on the cheap.

Murphy is probably the best bat available at 2b on the FA market.

I do wonder if they end up signing Murphy if that makes Thames disposable from a roster construction stand point. I know people want to dump Thames because of the salary, but from a roster construction standpoint he still makes some sense. If they add Murphy, Thames becomes a tad redundant.

Not only would it make Thames disposable, I believe the only way they go this route is if they have a taker lined up for Thames. Anyone they acquire to play 2B is going to have to have versatility and value elsewhere for once Hiura arrives May/June. Murphy only adds that type of versatile value if its to pair with Aguilar at 1B. Remember the Brewers are always exploring multiple avenues. The Murphy route (if chosen) means Thames is as good as gone imo. If you see a Thames trade, I'd expect a Murphy signing soon after and vice-versa.

I'd like either Brian Dozier or Ian Kinsler on a one year deal.

I could live with Daniel Murphy on a one year deal if David Stearns personally visited me and convinced me that their positioning metrics would turn him into a non-terrible defender at second.

I'm not interested in any 2B's on a two (or more) year deal.

I'd be fine with a not-old quality versatile 2B on a multi-year deal. Like Marwin Gonzalez. Not sure if anybody else fits the bill.

Jurickson Profar

I'd like either Brian Dozier or Ian Kinsler on a one year deal.

I could live with Daniel Murphy on a one year deal if David Stearns personally visited me and convinced me that their positioning metrics would turn him into a non-terrible defender at second.

I'm not interested in any 2B's on a two (or more) year deal.

I'd be fine with a not-old quality versatile 2B on a multi-year deal. Like Marwin Gonzalez. Not sure if anybody else fits the bill.

Jurickson Profar

I think he meant Free Agents, as Profar would cost more than just money.

As a prospective World Series contender, I don't think we can punt on 2B just because Hiura might break out. The front office should absolutely be planning to sign a guy who can be a credible everyday starter in both 2019 and 2020 (i.e. not Hernan Perez...). Lowrie brings added value in that he is a little more versatile than some of the other 2B free agents.

Slotting Perez into a starting position is a giant mistake.

I know there is love for him in Brewer nation, but as long as he is around, CC can't stop himself from giving him too much playing time. He makes a good super sub, but should not be part of a regular platoon or an everyday starter. He just isn't good enough with the bat, and can't consistantly get on base.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brew interested in Lowrie per Rosenthal

The brief paragraph on this topic from Rosenthal in The Athletic mentions that Stearns has some familiarity with Jed Lowrie since they both were with the Astros in 2015.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports the Brewers are interested in free agent second baseman Jed Lowrie.

The Brewers have an opening at second base now that Travis Shaw will be moving back to third base full time. They've previously been connected with Daniel Murphy and now they are pursuing Lowrie. Brewers' general manager David Stearns is familiar with Lowrie from their mutual time with the Astros in 2015. The 34-year-old Lowrie is coming off the best season of his career after batting .267/.353/.448 with 23 home runs and 99 RBI.

Source: The Athletic Dec 15 - 4:10 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Watch Stearns shock us and pull the trigger on Machado, moving Shaw to 2nd and playing Machado at SS when Arcia needs a rest.

I'm not predicting that, but if there is one thing we've learned about Stearns: expect the unexpected.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived