Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trade Thames (plus a MiLB'er) for Sonny Gray, the sign Moose.

Shaw can play 1B, 2B, 3B

Moose can play 1B, 3B

Jesus at 1B

H Perez can play everywhere

KH is waiting at AAA to take over 2B

Braun can play LF, RF, 1B, [sarcasm]3B, 2B, SS[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

LeMahieu everyday at 2B, with Shaw at 3B and Perez getting lots of LHP starts at 3B would be fantastic.

Oh I disagree. We would have a very poor offense with this lineup, especially with Arcia at SS.

When Arcia's right as he was down the stretch and in the playoffs and the last 4 months of 2017, he's an offensive asset, not a liability. Hard to predict what your going to get but I'll take my chances with his talent that he's going to pick up where he left off.

Reports were that Arcia showed up ill-prepared and out of shape...

so what is he doing now so that MIL doesn't have to suffer through more of those types of ABs?

How close is Dubon to giving him some days off if he is slacking?

New rumors that we are in on Daniel Murphy.

Obviously the best 2B available if he is fully healthy again, but how many years do you give him?

Might actually make sense to sign him with the plan of moving him to 1B once he gets a little older and Hiura is ready.

Murphy is terrible defensively if I remember right. His bat would fit well and maybe with how much we shift and how good Arcia is we could cover his liability.

He was bad last season because he was coming off surgery and seemingly couldn't even run at full speed when he first started back in the majors. After the trade to the Cubs he had a neutral dWAR for what it's worth. I have never heard of him having a reputation as "terrible" on defense pre-2018. (Granted he's a bat-first player obviously)

Murphy is terrible defensively if I remember right. His bat would fit well and maybe with how much we shift and how good Arcia is we could cover his liability.

He was bad last season because he was coming off surgery and seemingly couldn't even run at full speed when he first started back in the majors. After the trade to the Cubs he had a neutral dWAR for what it's worth. I have never heard of him having a reputation as "terrible" on defense pre-2018. (Granted he's a bat-first player obviously)

Considering that the Brewers had Travis Shaw at 2nd alot down the stretch, I'd be fine with putting an actual 2B at that position even if he's viewed as below average defensively with how the Brewers utilize shifting. A healthy Murphy would be a great offensive boost as a 2B, and if Hiura finds himself in Milwaukee mid season Murphy would actually be a fantastic bench option that can pH or backup as a 1B assuming Thames will be dealt at some point this offseason.

Murphy would be a solid option in the #2 hole offensively. He wasn't great against lefties last year, but overall in his career he's hit them well. If he is fully back from injury, can play 2B at a passable level, and is willing to sign a short, affordable deal, he'd be a nice fit.

Murphy turns 34 on April 1. He probably would be platooned with Perez to keep him fresh and taken out for defense late in games. With as many strikeout pitchers as the Brewers have, his diminished range is not that big of a deal. Big question is if he can return to the premium bat he was in 2017. If so, he's clearly a better hitter than Moustakas.

Negative WAR guy entering his age 34 season. The stat line would be nice to add in the order but I dont know if we want to keep adding older players to the lineup.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Murphy's projected offensive stats look pretty darn appealing.

Daniel Murphy’s Steamer projections...

[pre]G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ BsR Off Def WAR

146 616 20 74 79 3 6.7 % 12.6 % .178 .300 .286 .338 .464 .341 114 -0.6 10.1 -5.9 2.5[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the Brewers sign Daniel Murphy to a two year deal I hope they are either 1) convinced he has some positional flexibility to also play 1B and maybe even occasionally 3B, or 2) have made up their mind Keston Hiura is going to be part of a trade package for another big piece. I have been among Keston’s biggest fans since before he was even in the Brewers organization, but at present there isn’t a single place on the diamond for him outside of 2B. You simply can’t carry two players chained down to second base only on the 25 man roster for a significant portion of the season. Even if they had no intentions of calling him up this season, it would cause a strange situation for 2020. I guess they could make the deal with the idea of eventually trading Daniel Murphy, but that doesn’t seem like the Brewers M.O.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Negative WAR guy entering his age 34 season. The stat line would be nice to add in the order but I dont know if we want to keep adding older players to the lineup.
his bat will be good and all you are doing is keeping 2nd base warm until Hiura is ready, so I’m ok with a 1 or 2 year deal.

Friends who are Cubs fans (not a great choice of friends I know) constantly talked about how terrible his defense was

If the Brewers sign Daniel Murphy to a two year deal I hope they are either 1) convinced he has some positional flexibility to also play 1B and maybe even occasionally 3B, or 2) have made up their mind Keston Hiura is going to be part of a trade package for another big piece. I have been among Keston’s biggest fans since before he was even in the Brewers organization, but at present there isn’t a single place on the diamond for him outside of 2B. You simply can’t carry two players chained down to second base only on the 25 man roster for a significant portion of the season. Even if they had no intentions of calling him up this season, it would cause a strange situation for 2020. I guess they could make the deal with the idea of eventually trading Daniel Murphy, but that doesn’t seem like the Brewers M.O.

I'd be willing to go for three years for Murphy.

He's got a good hit-for-average tool, and he brings positional flexibility (has played 3B, 1B, LF in his major-league career) to the mix as well. He hits lots of doubles, and doesn't strike out much.

It's worth that sort of deal, IMO. 3 years, $19.5 million.

"Daniel Murphy, professional hitter"

Someone has to pick up the old Matt Stairs label. And a bat like Murphy's would sure be a huge step forward away from having quite so many all-or-nothing (read: high K, low BA/OBP) bats on the roster.

A 2- or 3-year deal seems a little large, but if he has a bit of Zobrist positional flexibility to him, he'd be a nice asset to have on the team for a while.

Someone has to pick up the old Matt Stairs label. And a bat like Murphy's would sure be a huge step forward away from having quite so many all-or-nothing (read: high K, low BA/OBP) bats on the roster.

A 2- or 3-year deal seems a little large, but if he has a bit of Zobrist positional flexibility to him, he'd be a nice asset to have on the team for a while.

Per Baseball-Reference, Murphy has played 2B, 1B, 3B, and LF in the majors.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/murphda08.shtml

I'd say he is flexible enough to be a decent starter for the first part of 2019. When Hiura forces his way up, Murphy them can be a backup option at all four positions.

Per Baseball-Reference, Murphy has played 2B, 1B, 3B, and LF in the majors.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/murphda08.shtml

I'd say he is flexible enough to be a decent starter for the first part of 2019. When Hiura forces his way up, Murphy them can be a backup option at all four positions.

Clancy, throw the LF part out - Murphy hasn’t played out there since 2011, and he’s had a significant injury since then.

Murphy can handle some first base, and he can still hit - though I wouldn’t expect him to match his best years.

If Murphy is fully healed now, he may be ok at second base, but he’s just “a guy” with the glove.

I’ll take the bat if he’s healthy.

Archived