Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am still thinking the Brewers will be ok with the idea of Perez and Cory at the platoon at second.

They may be okay with it, but I'm sure their pursuit of several other FA 2Bs is a clear indication they felt they could do much better, too, with the key being desired target(s) needing to be okay with $$ & term that fit the Brewers' liking, which obviously hasn't happened yet.

***Logs into BrewerFan.net after 24-hour hiatus.***

Me (Internal Dialogue): Oh cool, the 2B/3B Options thread is heating up. I must have missed some juicy Brewers related rumors and speculation. Can’t wait to see what my BF.net friends have to say...

Me (Reading): ...Machado... Machado... Machado... Addison Russell... Machado... Braun... Braun.... STEROIDS... Chain-of-Custody...

Me:

giphy.gif

If there was a "thumbs up" feature here, this would get it from me.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I am still thinking the Brewers will be ok with the idea of Perez and Cory at the platoon at second.

They may be okay with it, but I'm sure their pursuit of several other FA 2Bs is a clear indication they felt they could do much better, too, with the key being desired target(s) needing to be okay with $$ & term that fit the Brewers' liking, which obviously hasn't happened yet.

I still think Aguilar at third, Shaw at second, Thames at first is a decent option if they can't get a free agent.

Hear me out:

Looking over the fielding stats (keeping in mind a small sample), Aguilar's overall RF/9 at third in 2018 was a little above average, and he seemed to be okay. It did show 20 Rtot/yr (or 20 runs above average per year), but again, small sample.

It does mean keeping what flexibility the Crew currently has on payroll. Plus, if Thames and Aguilar both have hot starts, the Brewers could get a better return for one of them in a trade when Hirua finally forces the issue.

Plus, it makes the Crew's bench Pina, Perez, Spangenberg, Gamel, Taylor - a much stronger proposition.

Well since there is no news at 2b I guess we can blame Stearns for this thread going sideways.

Here is what people point to when saying he threw the guy under the bus. Although you are right and I shouldn't use the phrase bc it is misleading. Maybe this report has been proven completely false

https://www.si.com/si-wire/2013/08/19/ryan-braun-discredit-urine-collector

Even if it wasn't questionable hearsay reporting/sensationalism from an anti-PED Purity Squad Protectors of Baseball Journalist, who really cares what Braun said in private to Matt Kemp? :laughing

[sarcasm]Anyways, to get his thread back on topic this is all a long way of saying that I think we should move Braun back to 3B.[/sarcasm]

***Logs into BrewerFan.net after 24-hour hiatus.***

Me (Internal Dialogue): Oh cool, the 2B/3B Options thread is heating up. I must have missed some juicy Brewers related rumors and speculation. Can’t wait to see what my BF.net friends have to say...

Me (Reading): ...Machado... Machado... Machado... Addison Russell... Machado... Braun... Braun.... STEROIDS... Chain-of-Custody...

Me:

giphy.gif

If only this site had mods to fix this..

It's not a ridiculous notion (give up Thames & gain Starlin Castro) on some level, but the way they ended the MIL haul part of it was saying that essentially we'd be paying $5M to acquire Castro. His 2018 fWAR makes that seem reasonable, but it's not just paying him $5M but also still, net, doing so on top of paying the $6M that was due Thames.

Granted, the guy's goal was to fix the Tigers' situation, and overall there's a good bit of sense to this scheme he's put together. But I'm not sure paying Starling Castro $11M instead of Thames $6M is exactly ideal or a desirable outcome for the Brewers' FO.

I understand where we are at financially (I think we all think we have little money left to spend and already overextending with Grandal) but I am not entirely convinced that the longer that Machado goes unsigned the more he becomes an option for us at 3B/SS. With Harper, based on reports, tending to be the Phillies priority target I am not sure where Machado will fit (especially if the White Sox offer is the best he has received). Is it possible Machado signs a high dollar, one year deal? I am not entirely convinced with his young age that this isn't a possibility. I could see him "settling" for a 1 year, 40 million dollar deal with hopes of a market reset next offseason. I know, I know it would send our payroll to a level that no brewer fan could ever envision. I just believe that if Mark A sees this as the most likely year to win it all he could be ok operating at a substantial loss for one season if his past financial numbers exceeded expectations and the projection of ticket sales/new TV contract revenue can make up for this loss. If he can write off the loss for a future financial benefit he may be game for this.

I didn’t think it necessarily needed to be fixed since it wasn’t quite to the point of no return and the discussion remained relatively civil. Just trying to add a touch of lightheartedness to the subtopics that broke out. At this point though you are probably right, lets steer the conversation back toward the primary purpose of the thread.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I didn’t think it necessarily needed to be fixed since it wasn’t quite to the point of no return and the discussion remained relatively civil. Just trying to add a touch of lightheartedness to the subtopics that broke out. At this point though you are probably right, lets steer the conversation back toward the primary purpose of the thread.

Yep, time to sign Dietrich. :)

Here's a summary of the in-house 2B/3B options I see the Brewers having for Opening Day:

In-House 2B

1. Keston Hirua on Opening Day

2. Travis Shaw on Opening Day

3. Perez/Spangenberg platoon

4. Mauricio Dubon

5. Tyler Saladino

6. Jake Hager

In-House 3B

1. Travis Shaw

2. Jesus Aguilar

3. Hernan Perez

4. Tyler Saladino

5. Jake Hager

6. Lucas Erceg

7. Spangenberg

8. Ryan Braun

I'm not as familiar with some of the external options. Moustakas at third is one, and there's Harrison, Gonzales, and Dietrich at second on the free-agent side.

Of course, a trade could come and scramble that entire picture.

Here's a summary of the in-house 2B/3B options I see the Brewers having for Opening Day:

In-House 2B

1. Keston Hirua on Opening Day

2. Travis Shaw on Opening Day

3. Perez/Spangenberg platoon

4. Mauricio Dubon

5. Tyler Saladino

6. Jake Hager

In-House 3B

1. Travis Shaw

2. Jesus Aguilar

3. Hernan Perez

4. Tyler Saladino

5. Jake Hager

6. Lucas Erceg

7. Spangenberg

8. Ryan Braun

I'm not as familiar with some of the external options. Moustakas at third is one, and there's Harrison, Gonzales, and Dietrich at second on the free-agent side.

Of course, a trade could come and scramble that entire picture.

Are you hoping or predicting?

Re: the bolded above, Clancy, while I admire your zeal, as my wife says to a couple of our kids, I think you're just plain stuck on a couple things that aren't going to happen (though it's at least nice to see Braun at the very bottom of your 3B list this time...). Aguilar not screwing up in his 14.1 career Brewers innings (and his 2 career Cleveland innings) consisting of 4 total chances at 3B isn't a peek into "what might be," only some sheer good fortune at avoiding the total disaster that could've been. I do think he's more athletic than many give him credit for, but I believe firmly that suggesting he's an everyday 3B is just plain folly -- well, that may be too strong, and I get that it may be fun to consider, but it's just not at all realistic without a slew of injuries, and even then I'd think they'd find other options to plug an everyday hole.

Stearns and Counsell have said repeatedly that Hiura's not starting the season in MIL, which would negate any likelihood of your #1 2B option happening, either. So many here would love to see it happen, and there's no guarantee it won't happen this year, but when the Boss Man says it's not happening, is asked again and says it has a "0% chance of happening," it's just not happening.

Zobrist would fit our needs perfectly; short term and positional flexibility. Downside is that it helps the Cubs; if that's what they need to do to sign some relievers or (unlikely as it seems at this point) sign Harper, it's going to feel really bad. Then again, if there's a decent trade to be made then someone else will probably make it. Worth considering.

Zobrist scores 18 points in Scrabble. However, if you start the word 2 slots on top of the triple word score slot, you’re setting your opponent up for 30+ points. The Brewers do need to consider whether the possibilities for the competition more than offset the return for themselves.

Dealing for Castro is the last remaining move that would bring a significant RH hitting upgrade over what Brewers have already. Much like Grandal, he's a pricey one year investment but he'll come off the books after this season. Marlins might be reluctant to make another deal with Brewers, but they'll lose him anyway after this season.

Dealing for Castro is the last remaining move that would bring a significant RH hitting upgrade over what Brewers have already. Much like Grandal, he's a pricey one year investment but he'll come off the books after this season. Marlins might be reluctant to make another deal with Brewers, but they'll lose him anyway after this season.

While not overly likely to happen, how much fun would it be to see Starlin absolutely mashing against the Cubs left-handed starters while in a Brewers uniform.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

While not overly likely to happen, how much fun would it be to see Starlin absolutely mashing against the Cubs left-handed starters while in a Brewers uniform.

My understanding was that Castro wanted to be traded form Miami.

I always wondered if the Crew couldn't have taken Castro off Miami's hands - and maybe have kept one of Diaz or Harrison (say dealing the Marlins Dubon instead).

It's not a ridiculous notion (give up Thames & gain Starlin Castro) on some level, but the way they ended the MIL haul part of it was saying that essentially we'd be paying $5M to acquire Castro. His 2018 fWAR makes that seem reasonable, but it's not just paying him $5M but also still, net, doing so on top of paying the $6M that was due Thames.

Granted, the guy's goal was to fix the Tigers' situation, and overall there's a good bit of sense to this scheme he's put together. But I'm not sure paying Starling Castro $11M instead of Thames $6M is exactly ideal or a desirable outcome for the Brewers' FO.

Seems reasonable to me. We swap out Thames for Castro for a net cost of 5M on top of what we were going to pay Thames anyway. Given the market for 1st basemen, Thames doesn't really have any surplus value anyway, so it's basically getting Castro for nothing. And while it's difficult to see it end up coming into play, there is a $16M team option on Castro for 2020 should he enjoy a breakout season in 2019.

My understanding was that Castro wanted to be traded form Miami.

I always wondered if the Crew couldn't have taken Castro off Miami's hands - and maybe have kept one of Diaz or Harrison (say dealing the Marlins Dubon instead).

I don't think the Brewers viewed 2B as a huge need last offseason. They had Sogard coming off a career year and were still seemingly very high on Villar's potential to rebound. Heck, they never gave Neil Walker a second thought after he was pretty valuable for them in 2017.

I'd say 2B is much more of an obvious need this year than it was at this time last year. The last two seasons they've attempted to shore up 2B with an in-season trade (Walker in 2017 and Schoop last year). I'd like to see them avoid this scenario this year and actually have a solid option there from the get-go. If the Marlins would be willing to take a high contract or two, or eat some of Castro's deal, I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up. Hi skillset would be a nice fit for the lineup. I also don't think the Marlins would be reluctant to make another deal with the Brewers. I don't think GMs operate that way.

Archived