Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

Particularly after last year's trade deadline and down the stretch, it seemed like the Brewers were facing tons of lefty starters. In the NLCS the only righty they faced was Buehler (Ryu twice, Hill, Kershaw twice). The Cubs seemingly shuffle all their lefty starters against the Brewers, too. This happened in the 2nd half because their key RH bats that were supposed to take advantage of lefties struggled.

But as Bill Hall Star said, they will often be able to shuttle guys for times like that. If you have 10 straight games and 7 are against the Cubs and Dodgers, then you call up Saladino or Dubon instead of one of the young pitchers for some of those games. Otherwise you're talking about a permanent spot on the 25 for a guy who just won't see much playing time. I don't think that's a good allocation of money or roster spots.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the plan is to have a 69 wRC+ hitter and a prospect whose never had an PA in MLB as the "Plan" for if Shaw hits horribly against LH pitching?

For whatever it's worth, Saladino is a 78 WRC+ hitter against lefties. Actually had a bad 2018 against them but a small amount of PAs.

I get the idea as Shaw is actually better against lefties over his career but I think with Saladino's slight improvements as a hitter, if Shaw is really not good against lefties as some worry, Saladino may be about as good of a hitter against lefties, possibly provide better defense, and leave Shaw in for a late game PH against a RH pitcher.

But you are right...the splits can be a bit overplayed.

So the plan is to have a 69 wRC+ hitter and a prospect whose never had an PA in MLB as the "Plan" for if Shaw hits horribly against LH pitching?

The plan is to give a roster spot and precious salary to some retread who's better than those guys just so you can mash LHP's when half your positions players are already RHB's and Grandal is a legit switch-hitter? Even though only about 20% of pitchers are LHP's?

Braun, Aguilar, Pina, Cain, Arcia, Perez

Thames, Shaw, Yelich, Gamel, Spangenberg

Grandal

You could make a pretty strong case that they should add a guy like Moustakas. So many pitchers are RHP's. It's robbing Peter and Paul to pay Mary if you want more than half your position players to be RHB's just so you can start 7 RHB's against LHP's.

What are the odds the Brewers are one of the "mystery" teams in on Machado?

That thought makes me shudder. If they were going to blow that kind of money, I'd rather it be on Harper. Machado is probably more gifted, and plays a more valuable position, but he's such a tool.

Oh I agree. No commentary on whether it's a good move or not, just curious what others thought because it seems like a Stearns move. Particularly if the price really is way down.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

What are the odds the Brewers are one of the "mystery" teams in on Machado?

That thought makes me shudder. If they were going to blow that kind of money, I'd rather it be on Harper. Machado is probably more gifted, and plays a more valuable position, but he's such a tool.

Oh I agree. No commentary on whether it's a good move or not, just curious what others thought because it seems like a Stearns move. Particularly if the price really is way down.

It would be a Stearns type of move to come out of nowhere and pick up a player....not a Stearns type of move to invest roughly the same amount that Mark A spent to buy the franchise on one player.

Though if he were a Brewer, I wouldn't mind his attitude as much(other than not running out Ground Balls when perfectly healthy).

We'd be better off waiting 2-3 years until the White Sox realize they're stupid rebuilding plan didn't pan out, then trade him while they eat a massive chunk of his contract.

If Machado's offers really are in the $25M a year range currently, do I think its possible that Stearns has an offer, with Mark A's go-ahead, in the ballpark of 1 year/35M? Sure, I think that's possible. Maybe not all that likely, but I wouldn't call it zero.

This Brewer team just doesn't have the type of strong leadership personalities that would keep a diva like Machado in his place. I think Counsell and Stearns are very cognizant of team chemistry and the importance it plays in success. Because of that, I think the chance of the Brewers signing Machado are about as close to 0% as you can get.

This Brewer team just doesn't have the type of strong leadership personalities that would keep a diva like Machado in his place. I think Counsell and Stearns are very cognizant of team chemistry and the importance it plays in success. Because of that, I think the chance of the Brewers signing Machado are about as close to 0% as you can get.

Weren't they just strongly in on him in July and had the 2nd best offer out there for him?

Obviously the NLCS did no favors to his reputation there but if they didn't feel his diva personality was a disqualifying factor then I don't see why they would now.

I think Arcia's late season emergence would be more of a factor in our lack of interest in Machado than Machado's reputation.

If Machado's offers really are in the $25M a year range currently, do I think its possible that Stearns has an offer, with Mark A's go-ahead, in the ballpark of 1 year/35M? Sure, I think that's possible. Maybe not all that likely, but I wouldn't call it zero.

Completely agree here. While Stearns/MA might not have cared for his antics and stated attitude toward hustling during the 2018 postseason they also know they're shooting for a ring. They also have a pulse on how their clubhouse operates and they will have performed their due diligence when it comes to the leadership/interpersonal side with teammates in the clubhouse. They're not just evaluating on-field performance. So if they have no reservations and it's possible they can land him on a 1yr deal for crazy money I wouldn't be surprised at all if they offered one and, as a fan, I'd be all for that 1yr deal.

And the Brewers don't need strong personalities in the clubhouse to keep him in check. The Brewers clubhouse culture is the complete opposite of LA and Balt

I suspect the Brewers have a lot more leadership than you are aware of. There's player with tons of respect in their clubhouse, and not necessarily the guys you'd expect. Perez is one for certain. So is Aguilar and Cain is off the charts. Yelich? Certainly and he has the hardware to command respect.

Even if we signed Machado it wouldn't really solve our problem at 2B. I don't think Shaw is going to play a full season there, and it makes no sense to replace him at 3B when he is one of our better position players (even factoring his issues with LHP).

In theory, we could use Machado at SS and then trade Arcia for some pitching or a 2B.

I suspect the Brewers have a lot more leadership than you are aware of. There's player with tons of respect in their clubhouse, and not necessarily the guys you'd expect. Perez is one for certain. So is Aguilar and Cain is off the charts. Yelich? Certainly and he has the hardware to command respect.

I think Braun is clearly the leader in the clubhouse, but anything having to do with Braun divides opinion around here :laughing

Even if we signed Machado it wouldn't really solve our problem at 2B. I don't think Shaw is going to play a full season there, and it makes no sense to replace him at 3B when he is one of our better position players (even factoring his issues with LHP).

In theory, we could use Machado at SS and then trade Arcia for some pitching or a 2B.

Or we shift Arcia to 2b for 1 season, assuming any brewer deal to Machado is for 1 year and high dollars. With all the shifting, they would essentially be interchangeable middle infielders, with arcia shifting to the key defensive spots

It saddens me that people seem to be fine with a punk like Manny Machado on our roster.

How soon some forget his antics in the NLCS. He was public enemy number one around here, and now there are those willing to let that slide?

I don't care what he brings to the team on the positive side, the negative vibes he creates would be a total bummer, on the field and in the clubhouse...

The thought of him as a Brewer, my team, disgusts me.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It saddens me that people seem to be fine with a punk like Manny Machado on our roster.

How soon some forget his antics in the NLCS. He was public enemy number one around here, and now there are those willing to let that slide?

I don't care what he brings to the team on the positive side, the negative vibes he creates would be a total bummer, on the field and in the clubhouse...

The thought of him as a Brewer, my team, disgusts me.

Why care about something that isn't going to happen?

Archived