Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stearns should be on the phone right now trying to get Starlin Castro. He's not cheap but if they can get the Marlins to take back Anderson it would even things out. I don't buy the budget limitations. The signing of Grandal was the sign they are willing to do what it takes for this year.

Stearns should be on the phone right now trying to get Starlin Castro. He's not cheap but if they can get the Marlins to take back Anderson it would even things out. I don't buy the budget limitations. The signing of Grandal was the sign they are willing to do what it takes for this year.

It's odd that there isn't more talk about Castro. He's a pretty good player, his salary isn't cheap but it's doable for any contender. He's also got an extra option year next year which makes him even more attractive. From the Marlins' perspective they're rebuilding for awhile anyway, they could use his salary off the books and get something for him too. I'm surprised that his name doesn't come up more.

I still really like Forsythe as a really cheap option to serve as a 2 month bridge to Keston. He was awful last year, but generally has been a pretty respectable OBP guy and can cover some innings at 3B if Shaw needs a day off against a tough lefty.

Would love to know how much money Stearns has left to play with.

I'll get really wacky and say we bring in Brandon Phillips on a minor league deal. They go with Perez/Spangenberg and give the wily old veteran a shot in case that fails.

How's that for a prediction. And I'm not even drinking.

I don't think this is wacky at all. I don't know if it will be Phillips per say but the long play here, after super 2, is Hiura whether some like it or not.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'd be fine with Castro if the Marlins eat some of his salary.

I'd also be fine with Cabrera. I think you can pretty much rely on Castro and Cabrera to give you an OPS+ of 105 or better and hopefully their defense can be hidden with shifts.

I want nothing to do with Harrison or Panik. Total crapshoot as to what you'll get from them.

This isn’t the most exciting option, but Freddy Galvis wouldn’t be the worst signing. Likely pretty cheap. Solid defender at SS, provides better Arcia insurance than Pérez and Saladino. Still better offensively than what they had 2nd last year and won’t impede Hiura’s call up (which could come as early as May). Jose Iglesias is the more expensive version of this plan (if you can convince him to play 2b or play Arcia there)

I'm really interested to see what happens here. Stearns has a pretty fair (short) history of getting pretty significant upgrades. I know it won't take much to actually have an upgrade over last season but I dont see him acquiring somebody that would qualify as a potential upgrade. I feel like if he's going to get somebody it'll be worth the effort.

Good, I don't get the appeal with LeMahieu. One really good season in 2016 and just a real mediocre player otherwise. Below average hitter in Colorado, which is never a good sign.

I'd argue that the blanket Coors adjustment is a bit *too* punishing. Partly in and of itself, but also because none of it includes the Coors hangover effect.

Anyway, the appeal is that even if you buy the 90/92 wRC+/OPS+ as adjusting offense correctly, his elite defense makes him valuable. Over the last 4 years averages 2.5 fWAR, 3.5bWAR and a whooping 4.5 WARP (And it's not all 2016 either). So essentially even if you take the defense metric that likes him the least, and the park adjustments that punish him the most, he's still an average starter at worst. At best, he's an allstar.

Now, while the appeal of the player himself is pretty clear to me, it's a different question whether he's a good fit for the Brewers, roster- and contract-wise. Which, with Keston Hiura looming and him being strictly a 2B, I'd argue that he isn't.

I'm really interested to see what happens here. Stearns has a pretty fair (short) history of getting pretty significant upgrades. I know it won't take much to actually have an upgrade over last season but I dont see him acquiring somebody that would qualify as a potential upgrade. I feel like if he's going to get somebody it'll be worth the effort.

He's already acquired significant upgrade from last year's production at 2B in the form of Spangenberg even if he just lets him play everyday and against lefties at that position. It's not a glitzy acquisition, but then again Chacin wasn't last offseason either.

Schoop was supposed to be the answer there this year, but he flopped and Stearns cut ties to avoid paying ~$10M for a boom or bust type year from him. I can see the possibility of another 1 year deal with Moose at 3rd if he takes a 1 year contract again, but that starts yo-yoing Shaw around the diamond more than he'd probably like. Adding a guy like Harrison on a 1-yr deal makes some sense for the current roster, because he can play both 2nd and 3rd and would be a decent platoon mate for both Spangenberg and Shaw - Perez can only cover one of those spots against LH pitching himself. Plus, Harrison can probably be added at a contract amount that would still let them add some more payroll with adding another quality SP if they are so inclined.

Gonzalez is also very intriguing for the same reasons as Harrison with even more positional flexibility, but he's going to command a multi-year deal that should be pretty pricey - when you really look at it, Harrison and Gonzalez are actually similar players aside from Gonzalez being a switch hitter.

The biggest longterm upgrade at 2B is going to be Hiura - in the meantime I think adding Harrison to this roster would be another incremental upgrade. Gonzalez would probably be my preferred option, but probably not at the pricetag and # of years guaranteed he'll wind up getting. It's not like if Harrison is acquired that he's going to be slotted in the #3 hole of this lineup everyday.

This isn’t the most exciting option, but Freddy Galvis wouldn’t be the worst signing. Likely pretty cheap. Solid defender at SS, provides better Arcia insurance than Pérez and Saladino. Still better offensively than what they had 2nd last year and won’t impede Hiura’s call up (which could come as early as May). Jose Iglesias is the more expensive version of this plan (if you can convince him to play 2b or play Arcia there)

OK... why would you move Arcia to second base?

His calling card - his main asset - is his defense at shortstop.

OK... why would you move Arcia to second base?

His calling card - his main asset - is his defense at shortstop.

Iglesias might be better defensively than Arcia. If the brewers like Iglesias better than the decaying corpses of Neil walker and josh Harrison it makes some sense.

I think Hiura is going to be up before the ASG. So Iglesias or Galvis helps in the month or two leading up to a Hiura promotion and provides Arcia insurance at SS if he’s 2018 Arcia.

Now that they’ve lengthened the line up with Grandal I’m less concerned about spending on a second baseman. I’d be fine with what they have (assuming Hiura is an early call up).

I’d be fine with what they have (assuming Hiura is an early call up).

What if Hiura struggles to adjust to MLB hitting? What if he doesn't hit well enough in AAA in April/May to justify a call-up?

We're still pinning a LOT of hopes on a rookie that may not be ready to be thrust into the middle of a playoff race.

Good, I don't get the appeal with LeMahieu. One really good season in 2016 and just a real mediocre player otherwise. Below average hitter in Colorado, which is never a good sign.

the guy has batted over .300 in 3 of his last 4 seasons. and has the highest OBP of available 2nd baseman...i know in 2019 we're all about advanced metrics and what not, but what ever happened to just getting on base a ton and extending innings and rolling through the order! when did that go out of style! give me all the advanced metrics you want, but a team full of guys who get on base at a clip of .320 or better 1-7 in the lineup is going to win PLENTY of games and contend for a World Series!

All of this depends on how much money is left to spend. We're getting mixed signals from the media (not surprising.) One source said Brewers not in on LeMahieu now that they got Grandal. But the same day it's reported they are still in on Moose. So do they have $10MMish per year to sign someone or not?

If not, I don't see signing Harrison(very questionable bat and no position flexibility) and definitely not Walker. I keep saying it but Spangy/Perez would probably make them league average at 2B at least. Then Hiura may/ may not come up at some point and improve on that. But even league avg is a big improvement from last year, and they can always get someone in July if necessary.

But I think Mark A would spend the money on the right player/deal. That's what my gut says. And I think that would be Moose. That allows Shaw to play some 2B as well, and a lot of 1B vs RHP. There would be room for improvement with Perez at 2B vs LHP, but otherwise the roster would be perfectly set-up. 2 RH on the bench, 2 LH. And 6/8 hitters in the line-up could be LH or RH without forcing it. Also, it would make me "feel like" they got Moose for 3 years in the trade, and I would feel better about trading Phillips.

the guy has batted over .300 in 3 of his last 4 seasons. and has the highest OBP of available 2nd baseman...i know in 2019 we're all about advanced metrics and what not, but what ever happened to just getting on base a ton and extending innings and rolling through the order! when did that go out of style! give me all the advanced metrics you want, but a team full of guys who get on base at a clip of .320 or better 1-7 in the lineup is going to win PLENTY of games and contend for a World Series!

That's well and good, but if you look at his home/away splits.... he's a poor hitter away from Coors. Anyone signing him and expecting him to replicate those numbers elsewhere would be really, really disappointed come January 2020.

Now that Lowrie and Dozier are off the board, I'm all aboard the Marwin Gonzalez train. He just seems like the perfect fit on this roster. Even if we bring up Hiura in June, we will still be able to get him tons of AB's.

I would bet that Counsell is advocating for him, he is a weapon that could put our lineup over the top.

Archived