Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

Issue with Spangenberg is that Perez can only platoon with one of Spang and Shaw vs lefties. So, one of those guys would be playing vs lefties if they don't add anyone else. They might be fine with Shaw doing that since he's done it a lot the last two years, but the numbers are ugly and it's a spot you could clearly add a few runs by improving.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spangenberg is really being glossed over IMHO. Compared to some of the names being thrown around, he is as good or better. He can also play other positions, and very realistically could hit .800 vs RHP. If they can get a guy that's better, I'm all for it. But a temporary Spang/Perez platoon until Hiura arrives would be fine for a plan B.

I agree. Fine yes, but we want more than fine... We've tasted game 7 of the championship series and we want the World Series. I think Spangenburg might be a "replacement" for Perez if they sign another 2B. There's no guarantee they keep Perez even if he's Counsell's precious... I also think that Perez and someone like Harrison are so overlapping that we wouldn't keep both. At this point we go for someone better than Spang/Perez and keep only 1 of the 2 or we just stand pat with Spang/Perez. I also wouldn't be surprised if they add a short term FA 2B, keep Perez and option Spangenburg with the idea that in 2020 Hiura is the 2B and Spang/Perez are backups.

Issue with Spangenberg is that Perez can only platoon with one of Spang and Shaw vs lefties. So, one of those guys would be playing vs lefties if they don't add anyone else. They might be fine with Shaw doing that since he's done it a lot the last two years, but the numbers are ugly and it's a spot you could clearly add a few runs by improving.

Good point. But this approach assumes Hiura will be up in a couple months, so I could live with that temporarily. TBH though, we really don't know the plan for Hiura. Could be they have no intention of brining him up in 2019 unless they're "forced" to.

Ideally, they get a Lawrie, Castro, someone who could be the full time 2B. Then you have a bench of Gamel, Pina, Perez, Spangy. Very balanced, position flexibility, and most of all not any junk.

Harrison's career OBP is .007 less than Dozier's, FWIW.

I've always liked the guy, would be happy to see the Brewers get him.

Other than last year, he's been pretty solid. Not a superstar, but a high-energy spark plug type. I don't understand where the idea that he sucks is coming from. I mean, who are people expecting is going to be open to signing a one-year deal?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Harrison can play multiple positions and doesn't K much. Fits the Stearns profile at least. I'm ok with him on a 1 year deal.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'll say this up front: Josh Harrison was not good last year.

But from 2014-17 he had some good (and mediocre) years. Baseball Reference puts him at 5.5, 1.8, 1.9 and 3.3 WAR from 2014-17. Fangraphs isn't as kind, putting him at 4.8, 1.3, 1.2 and 2.6 WAR in the same span.

Yes, it's uneven, but it shows he has been an effective player as recently as 2017.

So what happened last year? Harrison had some injuries (broken bone in his hand, hamstring), which likely affected his play. Plus, he turned 31 in July. Perhaps age has simply caught up to him.

I could see the Brewers going with him on a short deal - and giving him the 2B job. He is a solid defender, and doesn't strike out much, which is a positive. The bat is meh, but usually has been okay. I don't see a ton of upside, but I think the club is just looking for a consistent bat to hold them over for a year. And they'll like his versatility.

I would hold out for Lowrie personally, but i'm glad that it seems like they're going to do something.

Well, now that Lowrie's signed with the Mets -- a very curious move given that they already bumped their 2B starter (McNeil) when they traded for Robinson Cano -- holding out for Lowrie means waiting to see what happens in the winter of 2020-21.

Top Free Agent Second basemen:

Jed Lowrie (35 years old, 4.9 WAR)

Asdrubal Cabrera (33, 2.7)

Ian Kinsler (37, 2.3) -- Signed 2-year deal with SD (12/20).

DJ LeMahieu (30, 2.0)

Marwin Gonzalez (30, 1.6)

Daniel Descalso (32, 1.6) -- Signed 2-year deal with CHC (12/18).

Brian Dozier (32, 0.8) -- Agreed to 1-year deal with WSH (1/10).

Daniel Murphy (34, 0.8) -- Signed 2-year deal with COL (12/21).

Derek Dietrich (29, 0.8)

Cory Spangenberg (28, 0.6) -- Signed 1-year deal with MIL (1/4).

Jonathan Schoop (27, 0.5) -- Signed 1-year deal with MIN (12/6).

Ronald Torreyes (26, 0.4) -- Signed 1-year deal with MIN (12/6).

Josh Harrison (31, 0.3)

Andrew Romine (33, 0.1)

Neil Walker (33, 0.1)

Sean Rodriguez (34, 0.0)

Gordon Beckham (32, -0.1)

Logan Forsythe (32, -0.2)

Brandon Phillips (38, -0.3)

Yangervis Solarte (31, -1.3)

Top Free Agent Third basemen:

Eduardo Escobar (30 years old, 3.5 WAR) -- Signed 3-year deal with ARI (10/22).

Mike Moustakas (30, 2.4)

Josh Donaldson (33, 1.3) -- Signed 1-year deal with ATL (11/26).

Jung Ho Kang (32, 0.0) -- Signed 1-year deal with PIT (11/8).

Chase Headley (35, -0.4)

Ryan Flaherty (32, -0.4)

Danny Valencia (34, -0.4)

Jose Reyes (36, -0.9)

Mark Feinsand

Verified account

@Feinsand

1m1 minute ago

According to a source, the Brewers’ infield pursuit (as reported by @JeffPassan) is unlikely to result in Milwaukee signing 2B DJ LeMahieu. The Brewers had been interested in him, but the Yasmani Grandal signing may have pushed him out of their price range.

Lowrie and Dozier gone.

That leaves the following 'name' options:

Derek Dietrich

Asdrubal Cabrera

Marwin Gonzalez

DJ LeMahieu

Josh Harrison

Yangervis Solarte

Neil Walker

Logan Forsythe

Gonzalez is probably out of our price range. LeMahieu is strictly a 2B, so probably no. Solarte, Walker and Forsythe probably don't work (injuries, age, ineffectiveness). I'm guessing we end up with one of Harrison, Cabrera or Dietrich.

The Moustakas option is still there as well - but I'm betting that only happens if the price is right.

There are certain guys that seem to bring out the best in their teammates. Josh Harrison strikes me as one of those guys. Would love for Stearns to get him on an affordable one year deal.

I would love to get a guy like Asdrubal Cabrera (or Marwin?) who can feasibly handle SS in case Arcia struggles and Hiura forces his way up. Is Josh Harrison really a huge upgrade over a Spangenberg/Perez platoon?

I would love to get a guy like Asdrubal Cabrera (or Marwin?) who can feasibly handle SS in case Arcia struggles and Hiura forces his way up. Is Josh Harrison really a huge upgrade over a Spangenberg/Perez platoon?

I'm not sure what the numbers said, but I was very impressed with Perez's play at SS last year. Dubon is lurking around as well to cover for short periods of time. If Arcia suffers a season ending injury I think we'd have to make a trade to more permanently cover the position, but I would doubt that the ability to play SS plays into who they sign to start the year.

I'm not sure what the numbers said, but I was very impressed with Perez's play at SS last year. Dubon is lurking around as well to cover for short periods of time. If Arcia suffers a season ending injury I think we'd have to make a trade to more permanently cover the position, but I would doubt that the ability to play SS plays into who they sign to start the year.

We're definitely covered for an emergency, but I was thinking of the scenario where Cabrera/Player X is hitting really well and Hiura is tearing the cover off the ball, while Arcia is struggling again. I don't think Perez bumps Arcia in that scenario, but I could see Cabrera becoming the everyday SS. Then again maybe Cabrera can't even play SS everyday anymore.

We're definitely covered for an emergency, but I was thinking of the scenario where Cabrera/Player X is hitting really well and Hiura is tearing the cover off the ball, while Arcia is struggling again. I don't think Perez bumps Arcia in that scenario, but I could see Cabrera becoming the everyday SS. Then again maybe Cabrera can't even play SS everyday anymore.

The issue with that is that Cabrera is an absolutely horrid defensive SS. The downgrade from Arcia to him would be enormous.

John Perrotto

@JPerrotto

6h6 hours ago

Hearing Brewers are considering stepping up pursuit of Josh Harrison to play second base now that Brian Dozier is signing with the Nationals. #pirates #dkps

Oh Yuck. This is the one guy I don't want. IMHO he sucks.

Lowrie and

That leaves the following 'name' options:

Derek Dietrich

Asdrubal Cabrera

Marwin Gonzalez

DJ LeMahieu

Josh Harrison

Yangervis Solarte

Neil Walker

Logan Forsythe

Gonzalez is probably out of our price range. LeMahieu is strictly a 2B, so probably no. Solarte, Walker and Forsythe probably don't work (injuries, age, ineffectiveness). I'm guessing we end up with one of Harrison, Cabrera or Dietrich.

The Moustakas option is still there as well - but I'm betting that only happens if the price is right.

Walker was brutal to start out last year, but in the second half of the season he posted a more typical Walker line of .346/.442/.788

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports that the Brewers are unlikely to sign free agent DJ LeMahieu

The Brewers have been linked to LeMahieu as a potential replacement at second base, but Feinsand reports that Milwaukee no longer is interested with the signing of Yasmani Grandal taking up most -- if not all -- of the remaining budget. It's possible the Brewers will trade for a second baseman, or they could just go with a stopgap until star prospect Keston Hiura is (hopefully) ready this summer.

Source: Mark Feinsend on Twitter Jan 10 - 8:21 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived