Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

What do you think of Marwin Gonzalez? ... Even more of a Swiss Army Knife than Perez.

No way. If you take out the one bad outing Perez had, he has not given up a run as a pitcher in his career. As an emergency catcher, I think Counsell was in error in not playing there.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Walker, Harrison, and Panik are all really underwhelming options to me, I hope it's none of them. Not sure if they are even upgrades over our existing options.

Castro is intriguing. Lawrie is my top choice.

Positional flexibility is key, whoever we bring in is likely only keeping the seat warm for a couple months.

Agree. As I said last night, Lowrie is ideal (theoretically) because:

He can play 2nd vs. Righties, with Shaw at 3b.

He can play 3rd vs Lefties, with Perez at 2b, and hopefully Hiura quite soon.

I like Gonzalez too, but I feel like we'd be paying for the versatility that he brings in the OF which I don't see as a need at all. Also, he hasn't played much 3b. And I worry that 2017 was an outlier. And his OBP is not good.

I have a feeling Stearns is gonna surprise everyone and trade for a starting 2B.

I still think he might circle back around to Whit. Peralta, Ray, Dubon, and Taylor Williams, and Houser... who says no?

Whit Merrifield?

Brewers say "NO" times x1000

I have a feeling Stearns is gonna surprise everyone and trade for a starting 2B.

I still think he might circle back around to Whit. Peralta, Ray, Dubon, and Taylor Williams, and Houser... who says no?

That is a big price, but Merrifield is such an absolute perfect fit for this lineup. I don't know if i'd go that high, but I wouldn't completely shoot it down either.

Whit Merrifield?

Brewers say "NO" times x1000

I think you are seriously underestimating how valuable having a guy like Merrifield in your lineup is. The Brewers have signaled that they are all in on 2019.

All in would be trading Hiura as part of a package for Kluber

All they have signaled is they want to be competitive again this year.

This team was going to be competitive with or without Grandal. They were within one game of the WS with Erik Kratz getting the majority of the starts! I don't think you sign a top catcher to an $18+ million 1-year deal without shooting for the moon. That's why I don't think they are done making big moves too.

This team was going to be competitive with or without Grandal. They were within one game of the WS with Erik Kratz getting the majority of the starts! I don't think you sign a top catcher to an $18+ million 1-year deal without shooting for the moon. That's why I don't think they are done making big moves too.

I dont think are done yet either

I don't think it has to be an "all-in" year by just grabbing Grandal. It just helps put you in a position to compete for the Central again this year and see how the season plays out. Maybe those big moves come in July when this team proves it is a winner again.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that the Giants are "talking with teams" about a potential Joe Panik trade.

There are still good second basemen available via free agency, so the Giants would probably have to sell low here to get something done. Panik battled multiple injuries last season and hit just .254/.307/.332 with four home runs and 24 RBI in 102 games. The 28-year-old is under team control through 2020.

Source: Jeff Passan on TwitterJan 10 - 10:50 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panik and MadBum to Milwaukee?

I don't have a lot of interest in Panik myself.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't think it has to be an "all-in" year by just grabbing Grandal. It just helps put you in a position to compete for the Central again this year and see how the season plays out. Maybe those big moves come in July when this team proves it is a winner again.

Technically it is never an "all-in" year and obviously we have enough young guys that we aren't at an all-in point realistically either. But signing a guy to a one year contract for big bucks with no QO and Cain/Braun getting one year older and Chacin a free agent does push the needle closer that way.

Lots of people mentioning Joe Panik in Bumgarner deals. What if we did the smaller deal of just getting Panik? He's alternated good and bad seasons the last 4 years so it's tough to know exactly what you're getting. Would a Chase Anderson for Panik swap make sense?

The person we sign will only be for a 1 yr deal

The person we trade for will only have a yr left on his contract.

If it’s just a 2B only type I agree, but a guy like Marwin ginzalez would make sense for a multi year deal with his positional versatility. Hiura is no sure thing either so it’s insurance there but he can also play 3B and OF (for if/when Braun/Cain get hurt need days off). He could be our Zobrist.

The person we sign will only be for a 1 yr deal

The person we trade for will only have a yr left on his contract.

If it’s just a 2B only type I agree, but a guy like Marwin ginzalez would make sense for a multi year deal with his positional versatility. Hiura is no sure thing either so it’s insurance there but he can also play 3B and OF (for if/when Braun/Cain get hurt need days off). He could be our Zobrist.

This is where I am. There will be injuries and rest needed for different guys during the season. Gonzalez can start at 2nd and be mostly an everyday guy playing all over the diamond if/when Hiura arrives this season. He is also insurance incase Arcia struggles again this year. Gonzalez seems like a perfect fit.

Panik and Will Smith interest me more than giving up what SF wants for MadBum.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm guessing he's more open to a 1 year deal for not thaaat much due to his poor 2018 to try and prove himself for a better contract next year. Marwin/Lowrie needing the multi years and for much more per year. I've never really wanted him as he's too much of the low OBP type for my preference. But it is what it is and we're still MKE with our budget constraints, it's an improvement.

Also, I just checked and he did play a good chunk of games at 3b in 2017 and has splashed around in the OF. So he does have position flex.

Man, I think Josh Harrison is going to be a turd. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I would rather either sign Moustakas and play Shaw there or just let the Perez/Spangenberg duo take it.

Spangenberg is really being glossed over IMHO. Compared to some of the names being thrown around, he is as good or better. He can also play other positions, and very realistically could hit .800 vs RHP. If they can get a guy that's better, I'm all for it. But a temporary Spang/Perez platoon until Hiura arrives would be fine for a plan B.

Unless Harrison comes really, really cheaply I'd prefer to give Perez/Spangenberg the job until Hiura is up. As a platoon I expect they'd provide similar numbers. And any money spent on Harrison is money we can't spend on a LH starter.

Archived