Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

I got to see an awful lot of Dozier during all his year up here w/ the Twins. He was well-liked by his teammates and the community and is no stick-in-the-mud (with the exception, apparently, of one viewpoint -- rooted in the fact that his teammate lost a no-no because of a bunt hit -- emotions in the moment, anyway, and not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things).

It wasn’t a no hitter, the Orioles already had a hit in the game at that point. The Twins shifted Sisco in a one hit shutout and then were upset when Sisco bunted against the shift to get on base. If it was a no hitter, fine get upset. It wasn’t, they were literally upset about him trying to get on base with a bunt (did I mention AGAINST THE SHIFT) in a non-no hitter situation. That is about as silly as the unwritten rules can get.

First, I agree about Dozier's stand being sorta nonsense. And second, no-no vs. shutout obviously isn't the same thing (my mistake on the scenario), although the nature of Dozier's protest is on similar principle.

Still, my point is that one view on one situation doesn't define who Dozier is as a player or a teammate. I think the whole "unwritten rules" thing can get somewhat dumb & soapbox-y -- not to mention very Cardinals-ish, which I personally don't care for -- but from what I've seen (and I've seen plenty of him) up here for his whole career, Dozier's a good dude.

I'd rather the Brewers decide he's not worth pursuing for our starting 2B for baseball or money reasons, not a sound byte. It seems several here are judging the whole of who Dozier is by the latter.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be clear, I wasn’t asserting that it should be a reason to write off Dozier as a 2B option, I was just pointing out in that one specific scenario it was a silly thing to be upset about. In regards to what extent Brian Dozier is, or isn’t, a baseball gentleman and a fine teammate... I have no idea.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Well after Grandal I'm hoping they fully go "all in" here. I know these vets also need their last payday but I'm sure they'd also appreciate going to what seems like a legit WS situation. My goal would be to move Thames money out however you can and get this position taken care of. Lowrie/Gonzalez is the dream. I'd assume Lowrie is cheaper and less years so that's where I'd be targeting.

Wouldn't surprise me if they try to move Anderson's money too, he's a fine mid level P but if they are confident in the younger guys and Nelson it seems you could save that money if needed. I don't see them ponying up the money and/or prospects for a big SP like Bum, Keuchel, or the other top guys supposedly available by trade.

Since Dozier if off the table - I think its either Lowrie, LeMahieu or Shaw (with Moose resigning)

Lowrie - Think age caught up with him last year - Batter .239 with a .380 SLG%

Maybe some dominoes start falling. What do you mean on Lowrie? Those aren't his stats. Maybe those are second half or something?

Since Dozier if off the table - I think its either Lowrie, LeMahieu or Shaw (with Moose resigning)

At this point, bring Moose back, move Shaw to second.

Or, there's always Aguilar at third, Shaw at second, and Thames at first... say what you will about the defense, but with Grandal... it would be a lineup that would mash.

Maybe some dominoes start falling. What do you mean on Lowrie? Those aren't his stats. Maybe those are second half or something?

Sorry - Yes, i meant 2nd half stats

Sorry - Yes, i meant 2nd half stats

Could be a concern of course. however, switch hitter with even-ish splits and can play SS a bit if needed if Arcia collapses. He was also playing in a big pitchers park so would get the boost here. Seems to check all our boxes as long as their experts aren't overly concerned about the 2nd half and of course money isn't crazy.

Could we be in on Joe Panik? He is rumored to be discussed with several teams. It was reported we are in on MadBum so maybe it is for both of them?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wonder if Danny Valencia would be of interest? He would strictly be a platoon guy that mashes lefties. He can play third, first, or right field if need be to get his bat in the lineup. He’s a career .312(!) hitter against lefties with an OPS of .864. He wouldn’t be my top choice, but getting him on a one year $2 million contract to be the platoon guy with Shaw at third could be appealing. He would be an inexpensive option to consider if the Brewers are creeping toward the high end of where they want to start the season payroll at.

I know that it seems that Harrison has been a "Brewer killer" all of his career, but I guess I don't look at his stats and think that he's the top guy that I'd want here on a 1 year deal to man 2B. What am I missing with him that others are intrigued by?

I know that it seems that Harrison has been a "Brewer killer" all of his career, but I guess I don't look at his stats and think that he's the top guy that I'd want here on a 1 year deal to man 2B. What am I missing with him that others are intrigued by?

Eh, versatility, leadership and that fact that he is likely looking at a short-term, affordable deal. If guys like LeMahieu and Lowrie are demanding 3 years and substantially more per year, the downgrade from those guys to Harrison likely isn't drastic enough to make up the difference.

If he's saying 2b/3b I'll go with Lowrie on 1/10M deal. Switch hitter but power coming as lefty hitter starting at 2b but when we face lefties he can shift to 3b spelling Shaw if needed with Perez going to 2b (hits lefties well). When he's on the bench being a switch hitter is a great thing to have.

Has there been any chatter (Brewer or not) about Marwin Gonzalez? He would be an excellent backup plan if Arcia forgets to hit again this year.

Early on in the offseason, I had read that something like 20 teams had touched base with him. I'm kinda expecting him to get Zobrist money, if not more.

Walker, Harrison, and Panik are all really underwhelming options to me, I hope it's none of them. Not sure if they are even upgrades over our existing options.

Castro is intriguing. Lawrie is my top choice.

Positional flexibility is key, whoever we bring in is likely only keeping the seat warm for a couple months.

Walker, Harrison, and Panik are all really underwhelming options to me, I hope it's none of them. Not sure if they are even upgrades over our existing options.

Castro is intriguing. Lawrie is my top choice.

What do you think of Marwin Gonzalez? He strikes me as the type of guy Stearns and Counsell would love. Even more of a Swiss Army Knife than Perez.

Archived