Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

I'm not an easy man to please but I'd be good with Dozier on a one year deal.

nice. I would too and I think that is what he will eventually settle for after he waits for a multi-year deal to come...

Still hoping they can get Lowrie on a two year. Seems like the perfect fit to me.

Lowrie on a 2 year deal would be my preference as he can play SS in a pinch if black hole man returns to SS in 2019... Like Cain, I think some team will go an additional year (to 3 years) (like the Nats if they lose Harper), or the Cubs with Russell gone (deScalso isn't their plan A for anything)... I'd be much more inclined to sign both Lowrie and Dozier than Dozier/Moustakis as there would be plenty of AB to go around the infield with platooning, injuries, etc and Lowrie offers much more positional flexibility.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can Lowrie or Marwin Gonzalez play a decent SS? If Arcia falters again I am not sure Dubon or Perez are players that can take is to the promise land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're worried about Arcia being playable (fair concern), then I think Jose Iglesias isn't the worst guy to consider. He's probably what we hope Arcia turns into at this point.

He's an elite defender at short and hits about as well as Arcia did in 2017, but has done it consistently for several seasons. He will be 29 all of next season and has been pretty healthy.

I think Iglesias probably gets a multi year deal to be a starting SS, but he isn't a bad idea if he's willing to play 2b. He's still better offensively than what they got from the position last season.

I still think the Brewers have faith in Arcia putting up at least numbers in line with 2017 after his fine September and playoff run and his continued good hitting in VWL. Arcia wasn't a top 10 prospect only because of his defense. His slump in 2018 lasted far too long, but he might have the highest ceiling on the roster of guys not named Yelich. He doesn't need a safety net.

I'm in the camp that a Perez/Spangenberg platoon would put up decent numbers for the position (in the .725 to .750 OPS range) and isn't the disaster some suggest. Their both in their primes too. But while there's still guys out there in FA who've proven to be capable of All Star production, they'd be foolish not to try and land one of them. That list isn't all that long, but Dozier is one year removed from an .856 OPS and Lowrie is coming off back to back .800+ OPS seasons.

An interesting Dozier stat is that his subpar 2018 season can be nearly fully explained by his falling apart against LHP. Against lefties his OPS fell from 1.057 in 2017 to .643 in 2018. His OPS against RHP was fairly close to his career average. With the Cubs having 3-4 left-handed starters, a Dozier signing would need to include faith that his 2018 vs. LHP was a fluke or fixable.

Dozier is a big "unwritten rules" guy - between that and his 2018 output, hard pass.

Seriously pass.

Hah, I forgot about that silliness.

Well then I can’t imagine he was a fan of the celebration after Broxton stole his home run to dead center this year. [sarcasm]Maybe the Brewers had to move Keon before Dozier would consider their FA offer.[/sarcasm]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If we aren't going to consider signing a guy because he's a stickler for the "unwritten rules", wow. Just wow.

Yeah, sometimes things are taken too far...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Just because "chemistry" can't be quantified, doesn't mean it isn't an actual thing which affects a team over the course of 162 games.

By all accounts we had a loose, easy going club last year. It was obvious watching & players mentioned it numerous times throughout the year. If Dozier is a threat to disrupt that, why risk it when he doesn't offer anything special on the field?

It almost makes me wish we had 300 million to sign Machado just to watch heads explode around here.

Who knows, maybe Stearns saw The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh on MeTV one night & the secret to our success is astrologically compatible players?

With tulo and didi (after comes back from DL) and possibly machado...do the yanks make Miguel Andújar available? Wow would that be a young stud to add to our infield. Would cost a ton but may be worth it like a Yelich move. I’m probably living in a fantasy world but Stearns has surprised me before!

The only issue with Andujar, besides acquisition cost, is he probably isn't a 3B.

He registered -25 DRS/-16 UZR last year.

Those are the 3rd/2nd worst marks out of 224 qualifying 3B seasons since Braun put up -32 DRS/-25 UZR in 2007.

The only issue with Andujar, besides acquisition cost, is he probably isn't a 3B.

Those are the 3rd/2nd worst marks out of 224 qualifying 3B seasons since Braun put up -32 DRS/-25 UZR in 2007.

Yikes. That is pretty rough. Maybe shifting would help? Is he a future DH? Hit swing and approach are nice to see.

Yikes. That is pretty rough. Maybe shifting would help? Is he a future DH? Hit swing and approach are nice to see.

I'm not sure range is his issue. Admittedly I didn't watch a ton of Yankees games in 2018 outside of Sunday Night baseball and the playoffs, but I just read up on his issues and what they're working on. Seems to be a foot work issue which is causing him issues with fielding cleanly and putting himself in a good position to throw.

If we aren't going to consider signing a guy because he's a stickler for the "unwritten rules", wow. Just wow.

Depends who we are choosing him over.

There are going to be more than a couple quality options still on FA market when March rolls around.

I think I'd prefer Jed Lowrie or Marwin Gonzalez signed, but wouldn't hate the Brewers getting Dozier. Definitely could help them win some games.

I much prefer the versatility of Lowrie and Gonzalez both at the plate and in the field.

"Between that and his 2018 output" - my point being, if the choice is between a mediocre player and a mediocre player who is also a dink, I take the non-dink. There are lots of same-ish options out there at second base, Dozier included.

I don't like Brian Dozier...

How dare I...

Chemistry matters. If you sign a stick in the mud like Dozier it could be a bad mix in that clubhouse considering how loose the brewers like to be.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I got to see an awful lot of Dozier during all his year up here w/ the Twins. He was well-liked by his teammates and the community and is no stick-in-the-mud (with the exception, apparently, of one viewpoint -- rooted in the fact that his teammate lost a no-no because of a bunt hit -- emotions in the moment, anyway, and not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things).

I'm not sure I'm into the idea of Dozier as the Brewers' 2019 2B, although I'd like him better than a Perez/Spangenberg duo.

I got to see an awful lot of Dozier during all his year up here w/ the Twins. He was well-liked by his teammates and the community and is no stick-in-the-mud (with the exception, apparently, of one viewpoint -- rooted in the fact that his teammate lost a no-no because of a bunt hit -- emotions in the moment, anyway, and not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things).

It wasn’t a no hitter, the Orioles already had a hit in the game at that point. The Twins shifted Sisco in a one hit shutout and then were upset when Sisco bunted against the shift to get on base. If it was a no hitter, fine get upset. It wasn’t, they were literally upset about him trying to get on base with a bunt (did I mention AGAINST THE SHIFT) in a non-no hitter situation. That is about as silly as the unwritten rules can get.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived