Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason Astudillo has never gotten any prospect love is probably because he is listed at 5'9"/225 pounds & is probably shorter/fatter than that.

Assuming the above and that he plays catcher means he is slow and he doesn't strikeout - sounds like a future lead the league in GIDP guy.

549 players had at least 10 qualified runs to qualify for the StatCast Sprint Speed leaderboard last year & Willians came in at 24.5 feet per second which was 520th in the sample.

For comparison it looks like the slowest Brewers were Jett Bandy (23.8), Kratz (24.6) & Aguilar (24.7).

Checking his minor league stats it looks like Astudillo had 70 GIDP in 2,461 PAs or a GIDP rate of about 2.8%. MLB average GIDP rate last year was 1.9% so it looks like his extreme contact, no speed profile will likely make him more susceptible to double plays.

Guy is a truly fascinating player, will definitely be interesting to see how the Twins use him this year.

Guy is a truly fascinating player, will definitely be interesting to see how the Twins use him this year.

Is he? I truly don't mean this as a troll-y response.

When I follow his MiLB track record, I don't see anything special. He definitely posted a good MLB line in a small sample last season, but to me he screams DH-only defensively, without the DH-caliber bat.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When I follow his MiLB track record, I don't see anything special. He definitely posted a good MLB line in a small sample last season, but to me he screams DH-only defensively, without the DH-caliber bat.

I think he is fascinating in that he carries such high contact skills (and almost never strikes out) at a time when there is more swing and miss in the game than ever. He also played less than 200 innings in the majors last season, but managed to cover each of the following positions: C, 3B, 2B, LF, CF, and Pitcher. That’s kind of fun. I think he is fascinating in a “this player is much different than others” sense more than a “I wish this player was on my favorite team” kind of way.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Currently at 8 HR & 4 K (with 11 BB) in 236 Venezuelan League plate appearances. That is a 3TO of less than 10%.

Sure, it's the Venezuelan League, but that is pretty insane.

In Ken Rosenthal’s most recent article for The Athletic he says the Brewers “like” Brian Dozier as an option that would allow Travis Shaw to move back to 3B. He also mentions that re-signing Mike Moustakas is still an option for the Brewers. He points out Moose has become friends with Braun, Yelich, as well as Mark Attanasio’s son Mike.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

In Ken Rosenthal’s most recent article for The Athletic he says the Brewers “like” Brian Dozier as an option that would allow Travis Shaw to move back to 3B. He also mentions that re-signing Mike Moustakas is still an option for the Brewers. He points out Moose has become friends with Braun, Yelich, as well as Mark Attanasio’s son Mike.

It would be hoping for a Dozier rebound, but he's always been known as a great clubhouse guy and would be a solid fit there with the Brewers. He's not exactly versatile, though. I think I would like an infield of Shaw/Arcia/Dozier/Aguilar better than Moose/Arcia/Shaw/Aguilar. I doubt Dozier can recapture his terrific 2017 numbers, but he isn't super old (turning 32 on May 15), and if you could get a .240-.250 average, .330 OBP and 20 HRs, that's a major improvement. Also, a career K percentage of roughly 22% indicates that he puts the ball in play. In the Brewers' lineup he'd be more a table setter instead of a run producer, so that may theoretically raise that average and OBP a touch.

I'd gladly take a chance on Dozier if the money is acceptable. Doubt he gets a big offer. Wouldn't bet on him being good next year, but it's not hard to be a better option than some of the other guys available. I could live with Spangenberg/Perez at 2B though. Spangenberg's career OPS+ isn't much worse than Moustakas's (94 to 98), and he's got a better OBP (.318 to .307).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One thing about Dozier is that he had a deep knee bruise for the entire season. Now, perhaps he's really just digressed as a player, but it has been suggested that it really affected him last year. If so, he could end up being a bargain if he can rebound.

I personally did not see him play much last season, so I don't know what to think about him. But Milwaukee would offer him a great opportunity on a one year deal. 2B would be his for the year. He has a solid lineup around him. And a playoff caliber team. And a park that's generally considered pretty hitter friendly. He could come in, do well, rebuild some value, and still get another decent contract.

I agree that Dozier seems like a perfect fit for the Brew Crew on a reasonable one year deal.

Might not be a bad idea to add an option to that - just in case someone gets hurt.

Or, you know, the "Chosen One" turns out to be a false prophet.

If you add an option, you are also adding a buyout. I would rather go straight one year for a player like Dozier (age plus down year).

If Hiura and/or Dubon are still not ready for 2020, then you can dip back into the free agent waters.

Or

We still end up signing Moose if his price comes down and we move Shaw to 2B.

Or

I think if given a chance that the Perez/Spangenberg platoon would be at least league average for the position, at a way below league average price tag.

Spangrez or Perenberg?

I think if given a chance that the Perez/Spangenberg platoon would be at least league average for the position, at a way below league average price tag.

I can not express to you how disappointing that would be to go into the season with that as our plan...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I can not express to you how disappointing that would be to go into the season with that as our plan...

Ya I totally agree. The only way I’d be ok with it is if they spend on Grandal, an elite reliever, or acquire a SP/SS via trade/FA.

Even then the Pérez Spangenberg platoon only makes sense if the Brewers believe Hiura (or less likely Dubon) can be ~league average offensively in 2019.

Dozier was horrendous at the plate last year, but I agree that he's likely enough to bounce back that a 1-year deal makes sense. His worst season involves a higher OBP than an average Schoop season does. He's also a decent defender and would likely hit 25 HR at Miller Park. Plus, his top 2 similarity scores (overall and age-based) are Rickie Weeks and Jose Valentin!

Dozier was horrendous at the plate last year, but I agree that he's likely enough to bounce back that a 1-year deal makes sense. His worst season involves a higher OBP than an average Schoop season does. He's also a decent defender and would likely hit 25 HR at Miller Park. Plus, his top 2 similarity scores (overall and age-based) are Rickie Weeks and Jose Valentin!

Baseball Reference projects him to post a .777 OPS with 55 XBH and 12 swipes.

cf: Cain

2b: Dozier

rf: Yelich

lf: Braun

3b: Shaw

1b: Aguilar

c: Pina

ss: Arcia

I'd go one year, $11 million for Dozier, with a team option and a $1 million buyout. The Crew would need to find a taker for Thames quickly. That's the only real negative.

Can Lowrie or Marwin Gonzalez play a decent SS? If Arcia falters again I am not sure Dubon or Perez are players that can take is to the promise land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Marwin has played around 30 games at SS each of the last couple years. Quick glance looks like it's the only spot he's not above average, but seems respectable or at least not awful.

I'm fine with Dozier on a one year as well, it's fine. Probably a bit more in the low BA boom or bust type hitter than I'd prefer but it is what is and if only a one year deal so be it. It's obviously a step up over what we trotted out most of last year and it leaves Perez in a utility role where he belongs.

Still hoping they can get Lowrie on a two year. Seems like the perfect fit to me.

Archived