Brewer Fanatic

2B/3B Options

Watch Stearns shock us and pull the trigger on Machado, moving Shaw to 2nd and playing Machado at SS when Arcia needs a rest.

I'm not predicting that, but if there is one thing we've learned about Stearns: expect the unexpected.

Off-topic a little but I was talking to a friend in L.A. - a huge Dodgers fan - and he hates Machado with a passion, for the same reasons that many here do. He thinks Machado is a great player but is utterly classless as a player, didn't want him in the first place and doesn't want him back... of course, it might help that his team can afford another expensive free agent to fill that hole... :laughing

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a prospective World Series contender, I don't think we can punt on 2B just because Hiura might break out. The front office should absolutely be planning to sign a guy who can be a credible everyday starter in both 2019 and 2020 (i.e. not Hernan Perez...). Lowrie brings added value in that he is a little more versatile than some of the other 2B free agents.

Exactly. Assuming Hiura comes up in 2019 and produces, Lowrie could play 3B vs LHP, Shaw ornlowrie could play some 1B if Aguilar isn’t producing, or Lowrie could rotate to rest everyone (Lowries old, Aguilar is fat, and Huiras never played a full mlb season). Plus, some random injury could happen or Hiura could struggle in AAA.

Watch Stearns shock us and pull the trigger on Machado, moving Shaw to 2nd and playing Machado at SS when Arcia needs a rest.

I'm not predicting that, but if there is one thing we've learned about Stearns: expect the unexpected.

Signing Machado is not an option for this small market franchise. His salary would cripple our payroll for the length of whatever contract he receives.

Signing Machado is not an option for this small market franchise. His salary would cripple our payroll for the length of whatever contract he receives.

Plus, he's a douchebag.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

There are so many 2nd base options out there. You would think some of these guys would start getting a little nervous that they will be left without a chair.

Yep. That's why we definitely shouldn't overpay right now. Be patient. We might be able to get exactly who we want for significantly cheaper than traditional "market value."

It's hard to think of a better fit for the way we do business than Jed Lowrie.

- Most importantly obviously, he's really good -- about a 4 WAR average player the last couple years.

- He can play all over the IF, so though we'd obviously be signing him for 2B, we have the flexibility that we love to have if and when Hiura is up.

- He's a solid defender. Don't need to try to hide his glove.

- He's a switch hitter with nearly even career splits from both sides, so forget about trying to neutralize him with a LOOGY and you can start him with confidence against LH rotations like the Cubs and Dodgers, or standard RH heavy rotations. There's no need to try to play matchups.

Obviously, age is a concern, but for a short-term investment that should be within the budget, it would be hard to do better. I hope we can make it happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Lowrie would be an awesome addition. It just comes down to money and years. I don't know what our budget is for 2019 (and beyond), but so much comes down to what we have available to spend.

I believe the Crew was going to shop for a LH starter, a LH reliever (check), a catcher and 2B. We still have three spots to account for - and only so much money to spend. I'd love Lowrie, Grandal or Ramos, and Dallas Kuechel. But I doubt we are going to bump our payroll by $50M.

I'm guessing something more like Ramos for $10-12M, Miley for $7-8M, and a 2B such as Murphy, Dietrich or Dozier for $5-6M. That's still around $23-25M - and I'm not sure even have that kind of cash to spend.

And I'm not sure all those guys can be had for those prices.

Oh well, we'll find out sooner or later.

Lowrie would be an awesome addition. It just comes down to money and years. I don't know what our budget is for 2019 (and beyond), but so much comes down to what we have available to spend.

I believe the Crew was going to shop for a LH starter, a LH reliever (check), a catcher and 2B. We still have three spots to account for - and only so much money to spend. I'd love Lowrie, Grandal or Ramos, and Dallas Kuechel. But I doubt we are going to bump our payroll by $50M.

I'm guessing something more like Ramos for $10-12M, Miley for $7-8M, and a 2B such as Murphy, Dietrich or Dozier for $5-6M. That's still around $23-25M - and I'm not sure even have that kind of cash to spend.

And I'm not sure all those guys can be had for those prices.

Oh well, we'll find out sooner or later.

I think acquiring Claudio in a way was a payroll preservation move to get that caliber of arm without paying going FA rate.

Thames and Anderson trades could free up a pretty good amount, Santana and Davies to a smaller extent.

If Lowrie and Ramos could be acquired for say $20M annually combined and we stuck with the pitchers we have, I'd be pretty thrilled with our offseason, and I think that is doable. Another trade for a pitcher would be fine with me too, but I think it bears repeating that the Brewers in the Stearns' era have always been on a different wavelength than the mainstream belief as far as what their pitching needs are, and for the most part they have been right.

Still sensing these connections made are simple due diligence and the Brewers will wind up with a bargain. They literally check in on just about everyone. If a Lowrie or Dozier come really cheap on a 1-year deal, great. In the end it still feels like either Dietrich or Cabrera come on cheap 1 year deals. Both of their bats play perfectly and their shared deficiency (defense) is covered by the positioning the Brewers do better than anyone else.

Still sensing these connections made are simple due diligence and the Brewers will wind up with a bargain. They literally check in on just about everyone. If a Lowrie or Dozier come really cheap on a 1-year deal, great. In the end it still feels like either Dietrich or Cabrera come on cheap 1 year deals. Both of their bats play perfectly and their shared deficiency (defense) is covered by the positioning the Brewers do better than anyone else.

Could be. I sensed there was a little bit more to the Ramos talk, but it's been pretty quiet since then. It is indeed hard to speculate ahead of time on what moves we might actually make because it really is true that we kick the tires on almost everyone, so at some point it's hard to tell what is serious and what is just due diligence.

Quite a few of our moves happen very suddenly and without too much connection or speculation ahead of time.

Slotting Perez into a starting position is a giant mistake.

I know there is love for him in Brewer nation, but as long as he is around, CC can't stop himself from giving him too much playing time. He makes a good super sub, but should not be part of a regular platoon or an everyday starter. He just isn't good enough with the bat, and can't consistantly get on base.

While ideally a quality everyday player could be found to play secondbase, i have no problem at all with Perez being in a platoon there if needed. The last three years vs lefty pitchers, Perez numbers.

2016-- .787 OPS

2017-- .805 OPS

2018-- .783 OPS

So if Stearns acquired someone who to play second that hits righthanders well, but struggles vs lefties, i'm fine with Perez being in a platoon. Just keep his at bats vs righthanders to a minimum.

I know there is love for him in Brewer nation, but as long as he is around, CC can't stop himself from giving him too much playing time. He makes a good super sub, but should not be part of a regular platoon or an everyday starter. He just isn't good enough with the bat, and can't consistantly get on base.

While ideally a quality everyday player could be found to play secondbase, i have no problem at all with Perez being in a platoon there if needed. The last three years vs lefty pitchers, Perez numbers.

2016-- .787 OPS

2017-- .805 OPS

2018-- .783 OPS

So if Stearns acquired someone who to play second that hits righthanders well, but struggles vs lefties, i'm fine with Perez being in a platoon. Just keep his at bats vs righthanders to a minimum.

..and then, on what should be his off days from his platooning with the other 2B, CC will find a place for him at SS, 3B, or OF positions to give others a day of rest. Meaning, Perez would then be a regular, full time player.

I just don't trust CC with guys he loves, that get way too much playing time based on that love (IE Sogard and Perez)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

2016-- .787 OPS

2017-- .805 OPS

2018-- .783 OPS

..and then, on what should be his off days from his platooning with the other 2B, CC will find a place for him at SS, 3B, or OF positions to give others a day of rest. Meaning, Perez would then be a regular, full time player.

I just don't trust CC with guys he loves, that get way too much playing time based on that love (IE Sogard and Perez)

He's going to be on the roster regardless. At least if he was in a platoon at second, that's less chances for him to play elsewhere.

Part of the reason he played as much as he did last year was Arcia hitting like a pitcher much of the year before getting sent to the minors, and then Saladino got hurt, so Perez got a number of starts at shortstop.

Bottom line, Perez hits lefties fine, so there is nothing wrong with him being in a platoon at secondbase if that were to happen and he'd be really good defensively there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Some people say that Counsel will start Perez because he loves him. Perhaps. But I'd argue that Perez would have started very few games last year if:

- Arcia had hit better

- Shaw had hit better against left handers

- Villar had hit better

- Schoop had hit better

- Santana had hit better

- Broxton had hit better

- Braun had not been on the DL twice last year

- Yelich had not been the DL once last year

- Cain had not been on the DL once last year

- Dubon had not been hurt most of the year (he would have taken over for Arcia)

I'd argue that all of our failing and injured bats got Perez into the lineup more than because of CC's love for him. It was a matter of necessity.

I think Counsel appreciates what Perez does, and isn't afraid to use him. But his playing time would have been far less if Santana and Arcia and Shaw had hit more like 2017 than 2018.

No one really wants Perez to play, but if guys start sucking or get hurt, he's been the one who steps in. It's not always pretty, but he's there, and does an adequate job (for the most part).

I don't doubt that Perez would have gotten his ABs last year if things had gone better - but he wouldn't have started 80 games (which is what he started last season). Ideally, he'd only start half that amount (mostly against lefties).

My guess is that the following happens:

1. We get a multi-positional player to play 2B this year, partly so he can play or back up elsewhere when Hiura comes up this year or next.

2. To get anything of starting value, we need to give at least a 2 year deal.

3. The #2 spot in the order is up for battle, as well. An aging Braun goes to hit #5 or 6 in RBI positions, Yelich to #3 possibly, with the new 2B (eventually Hiura hopefully) hitting second.

4. A Jed Lowrie signing for 24 million for 2 years, and a club option for 10 million (opt out 2 million) makes the most sense...... I guess this is done December 31.

There are still so so many 2B with versatility still available. With the way the Brewers can cover for defense, they have their pick of the litter who can produce the desired results with the bat. I see no reason they have to overpay in years or dollars. Good possibility of getting someone at 1 year for low dollars. That will leave budget room to upgrade elsewhere either before or during the season.

Asdrubal Cabrera seems to make a lot of sense here, I think he'd be cheaper than Lowrie or Daniel Murphy, and more versatile defensively.

If they can swallow his poor defense profile at every position, I agree that he may be a possibility. At least Lowrie would provide solid defense.

Asdrubal Cabrera seems to make a lot of sense here, I think he'd be cheaper than Lowrie or Daniel Murphy, and more versatile defensively.

If they can swallow his poor defense profile at every position, I agree that he may be a possibility. At least Lowrie would provide solid defense.

A reminder that Travis Shaw manned 2B in a pennant chase. Cabrera would be fine.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived