Brewer Fanatic

Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Who should be the Brewers starting catcher in 2019?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Brewers starting catcher in 2019?

• Piña / Kratz / Nottingham (no outside acquisitions)
    • Yasmani Grandal (via free agency)
    • Wilson Ramos (via free agency)
    • J.T. Realmuto (via trade)
    • An Old Friend (Jonathan Lucroy or Martin Maldonado via free agency)
    • Other (please post an explanation)

I'd have no problem giving Wilson Ramos a 3 year, 36 million dollar deal if that fits into Attansio's payroll plan. If Attanasio puts the payroll cap for 2019 at 110 million, then I don't think there is enough room to fit that contract in and still have enough wiggle room for in-season moves. If the payroll cap is 120 million, then I'd make Ramos that 3 year, 36 million offer. He just turned 31, so this would cover his age 31-33 seasons. He's been a .343 OBP/.826 OPS hitter from 2016-2018...I feel pretty good about still being an above-average performer in 2021. Also really like the fact that when the Rays traded him, it sounded like there was some uncertainty on when/if he'd be able to play. Ramos got back mid-August and performed really well down the stretch for the Phillies. Doesn't seem like there is any type of significant injury concern. Just seems like a real solid investment to me.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it is partially a product of the uncertainty in knowing what the actual acquisition cost would be for Realmuto or salary cost and years required to sign Grandal or Ramos, but I am a bit surprised by how many people opted for no external acquisitions in the poll.

I think Piña would be a good backup catcher next year, but for a team that has aspirations of another deep playoff run catcher seems like an obvious place where an upgrade could pay big dividends. I do think Realmuto is cost prohibitive (in terms of trade capital), but I think either Grandal or Ramos could prove to be a solid investment. If Grandal can be signed to a 3 year deal for around $42 million I think the Brewers should seriously consider it, even with including the loss of a second round draft pick. I also would be content with Ramos if he could be signed for a one or two year commitment with an AAV somewhere between $11-13 million.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Piña would be a good backup catcher next year, but for a team that has aspirations of another deep playoff run catcher seems like an obvious place where an upgrade could pay big dividends. I do think Realmuto is cost prohibitive (in terms of trade capital), but I think either Grandal or Ramos could prove to be a solid investment. If Grandal can be signed to a 3 year deal for around $42 million I think the Brewers should seriously consider it, even with including the loss of a second round draft pick. I also would be content with Ramos if he could be signed for a one or two year commitment with an AAV somewhere between $11-13 million.

This is where I am at on things with regards to catcher.

Grandal is a switch hitting catcher who is generally considered an excellent receiver. Yes, he struggled at the end of 2018 and in the playoffs, but I'd rather look at the last few years as a whole rather than one month. I think a 3-year deal at around $40M would be all right.

I like Ramos as well - in fact, I picked him to be our catcher - but as noted, a 2-year deal would be better. I was think about $10-12M annually. The bat is better than Grandal - but the defense is worse.

Either guy would be a really good addition. And neither would have to catch 150 games or anything crazy. Maybe 100-110 starts and Manny getting 50-60. It will keep both players fresh - which is important over a long season.

I want the priority for a catcher to be on defense, hence why I'm not too keen on Ramos. For an offensive upgrade I'd rather spend on a 2B/3B/OF type of player. If the club was to spend big on a FA catcher I'd much rather do it on Grandal, even if he'll be more expensive than Ramos. And no, one bad playoff series does not mean Grandal is a bad defender. Over his career he's consistently been one of the better defensive catchers in thr game.

I'd thought about just going with Pina/Kratz/Nottingham. Kratz hit well enough, seemed to handle the pitching staff and seemed to fit in alright. Why not just go with him next year? Then I went back and reviewed his numbers. In his previous 450 MLB plate appearances, which stretched from 2013-2017, Kratz was a .193/.236/.338/.574 hitter. I'd guess that odds are overwhelming that his numbers significantly fall from the meager .236/.280/.355/.634 he posted last year. It will be his age 39 season. Like with Sogard in 2017, Stearns should count his blessings that he found a guy that greatly over-achieved. Then in 2018, Stearns should have realized a repeat performance would be very, very unlikely when looking at Sogard's entire resume, not just what the guy did for a few weeks during a hot streak. The Brewers should really be looking for an upgrade to pair with Pina.

Wilson Ramos is not top-tier defensively. Baseball Prospectus ranked Ramos 45th out of 117 catchers in their defensive metrics. So he's an above-average defender.

Grandal was number one, but surprisingly, I don't think the metrics include passed balls and Grandal is sort of known as the king for allowing passed balls. He had lead the league or tied for the league lead three times already. Career 64 passed balls in 5175 1/3 innings. Just for a quick comparison, Pina has 6 passed balls in 1683 1/3 innings. I have no idea how these guys would stack up against the rest of the league. Not sure if Pina's numbers are exceptionally good or anything like that. But if Grandal has lead the league or tied for the league lead three times already, I just have to assume that he's just flat out bad when allowing passed balls.

Obviously the big unknown is how much Attanasio is willing to spend next year. My gut feeling is that a 12 million per year for Ramos would really stretch it to the near maximum. Guessing that the additional 4 million or so for Grandal is not a possibility. Of course that's all speculation. I'm more worried that, with these two guys ranking far and away the best free agent catchers available this off-season, that they will get more than anticipated and both will be priced too high for the Brewers.

Grandal was number one, but surprisingly, I don't think the metrics include passed balls and Grandal is sort of known as the king for allowing passed balls.

That's really weird, in that blocking pitches is probably the #1 aspect of being a quality defensive catcher--and that's not even a passed balls thing, it's a prevention of wild pitches thing.

Grandal was number one, but surprisingly, I don't think the metrics include passed balls and Grandal is sort of known as the king for allowing passed balls.

What makes you think that? It's a combination of Framing Runs + Blocking Runs + Throwing Runs, and I would find it very hard to believe that "Blocking Runs" doesn't include passed balls and wild pitches.

What makes you think that? It's a combination of Framing Runs + Blocking Runs + Throwing Runs, and I would find it very hard to believe that "Blocking Runs" doesn't include passed balls and wild pitches.

Yes, Blocking Runs absolutely include passed balls. It's based on BL_CHANCES which is defined as "pitches the catcher received that could have resulted in a wild pitch or passed ball; this is when runners are on base or a dropped third strike is possible."

Grandal was +0.8 in Blocking Runs in 2018, which is not superb, but was a net positive. Pina and Kratz were both +1.3.

I had been doing some more searching about the blocking runs and passed balls are factored into the blocking runs statistic. I stand corrected on that.

MLBTR has Ramos projected to get $36/3. He certainly carries an injury risk, but his ceiling as a hitter is certainly on par with Realmuto. Brewers could afford to let Schoop and his $10 million go and just start the year with Perez at 2B if they added a bat like Ramos behind the plate.

I'm totally fine going with Manny Pina as the #1 catcher for 2019 and piecing things together for the #2. I think Pina gets dumped on too much on this site. He's a perfectly decent catcher both defensively and offensively. There's a lot of value in being average.

I'm totally fine going with Manny Pina as the #1 catcher for 2019 and piecing things together for the #2. I think Pina gets dumped on too much on this site. He's a perfectly decent catcher both defensively and offensively. There's a lot of value in being average.

Totally agree.

I feel like management dumped on him too at the end when Kratz was receiving the majority of starts.

We'd be just fine with Manny if he is our weakest link in the batting order.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Alden Gonzalez

@Alden_Gonzalez

SP Hyun-Jin Ryu is expected to accept the qualifying offer, but C Yasmani Grandal will not, source confirms. Dodgers will look for a new, short-term catcher to buy time before their promising prospects are ready. And they will have a ton of starting pitching coming back.

Alden Gonzalez

@Alden_Gonzalez

SP Hyun-Jin Ryu is expected to accept the qualifying offer, but C Yasmani Grandal will not, source confirms. Dodgers will look for a new, short-term catcher to buy time before their promising prospects are ready. And they will have a ton of starting pitching coming back.

Damn, does this mean they will steal Ramos from us?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I like Pina more than most, but the fact that the team did not even deem him worthy of getting any playing time over Erik Kratz in the second half and playoffs is pretty telling as to how they feel about going forward with Pina as the starter.

I like Pina more than most, but the fact that the team did not even deem him worthy of getting any playing time over Erik Kratz in the second half and playoffs is pretty telling as to how they feel about going forward with Pina as the starter.

To me, this felt more like an error by CC. I think they liked Kratz in there calling games and for his veteran presence. Stearns should absolutely punt Kratz for the sole purpose of not giving CC an opportunity to make stupid decisions again.

Archived