Brewer Fanatic

Game thread: Green Bay vs LA Rams, 10/28/18

nodakfan17

I’m agnostic on the McCarthy question. I think they could do a whole lot worse, but I’m concerned about the message and scheme getting stale. I think he clearly had the team ready to play a heck of a game today, so there are flashes, but I wonder if he’s clearly falling behind in terms of offensive innovation. Fresh blood offensively could rejuvenate Rodgers (who, I should clarify, is by no means playing poorly this year, but isn’t quite MVP-esque).

The question is, who do they get to replace him? Lincoln Riley of Oklahoma? John DeFilippo of the Vikings? Those are oft-discussed “next big thing” types, but are they ready to run a team? We may go hunting for a wunderkind, and find we’ve underestimated MM’s ability to build a cohesive unit and hold a locker room of egos and man-children together. I agree that Gute probably wants “his guy,” I’m just wondering who he has in mind. He better choose wisely, because it may be the last coach Rodgers ever gets.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ty Montgomery is about as useless as they come. Not a receiver, not a RB, not a returner. Why is he still here?

And why in God's name did MM or Zook not order him to kneel down the second he caught that in the endzone? The first stupid move was blowing the extra timeout by running out before the 2 minute warning, then he compounds it by fumbling. Just an awful, awful football play.

The Rams basically had 3 extra possessions today by virtue of a great punt, winning the coin toss, and the Montgomery fumble. That was the difference in today’s game. I lowered my expectations for this team after the loss to the Lions, so today was actually a (mostly) enjoyable game. They don’t have the horses to go all the way. The roster has eroded due to 3 consecutive poor drafts (2015-2017). Either accept that or don’t bother watching because it will only upset you. I have faith that they’re in the process of righting the ship, but nothing is going to change this year. McCarthy, despite his shortcomings, has earned the right to finish the season. I doubt he’s coaching this team next year, but I’m forever grateful for that man for helping my favorite team win a Super Bowl. Go Pack!

MM still getting crapped on? The Rams are a really good football team and the Packers gave them everything they can handle.

Enough of this. Yes he is getting crapped on, as he should. They were in position to win this game and there are multiple points you can point to where he made a bad decision.

He's definitely getting fired at the end of this season. BG probably wanted do it when he got the job.

:rolleyes Blow it out your rear buddy. They played a good game today. Tons of positive to take going forward. The loss stings but they should’ve had an opportunity for a big win on the road. I’d be willing to bet you had them losing by two scores. Go be a Debbie downer towards someone else.

Wow. Blow it out your rear? Really mature.

Go back to August. I called this team being terrible pretty accurately, right down to why they stink.

Called 6-8 wins and was pretty much met with disdain.

The fans calling for McCarthy's head were nuts when they were doing it 5 years ago, it is completely justified at this point. We have totally wasted an MVP QB's career beyond age 27. Again.

I'm sick of "Debbie Downer" being used against anybody who watches the game like a realist.

McCarthy said in his press conference in as subtle terms as possible that Montgomery was told prior to the return, not to return anything out of the endzone.

If your interpretation is correct, then it’s hard to see why he would be kept on roster going forward. I don’t like calling for people’s jobs, and nobody deserves to be hated like Brian “Buckner” Bostick, but that’s inexcusable.

What a snakebitten tenure for Ty Montgomery in Green Bay. Promising athlete and reputation as a willing and intelligent player as a rookie, left with no position after switching positions in good faith due to roster construction shortcomings, suffering an endless string of injuries and now that horrible play to smother a comeback in a huge road contest. What a sad story.

McCarthy said in his press conference in as subtle terms as possible that Montgomery was told prior to the return, not to return anything out of the endzone.

If your interpretation is correct, then it’s hard to see why he would be kept on roster going forward. I don’t like calling for people’s jobs, and nobody deserves to be hated like Brian “Buckner” Bostick, but that’s inexcusable.

What a snakebitten tenure for Ty Montgomery in Green Bay. Promising athlete and reputation as a willing and intelligent player as a rookie, left with no position after switching positions in good faith due to roster construction shortcomings, suffering an endless string of injuries and now that horrible play to smother a comeback in a huge road contest. What a sad story.

I'm paraphrasing a bit but it went like this:

McCarthy: "Yeah, the plan there was to take a knee in the endzone, keep the clock north of the 2 minute warning and take the ball at the 25. We even talked about that before the kick. I didn't see how deep the kick was. You trust your players though, I think Ty was just trying to make a play."

Intervlewer: "But shouldn't it have been said to Ty, hell or high water, do not return that kick out of the endzone?"

McCarthy: "I think I've already answered that, that was the plan."

I agree it's a sad story and Montgomery has had some tough breaks. But this is a performance business and he's a third string running back with no little chance of going back to receiver and he's a free agent next off-season. Thompson's country club approach of "if I use an early pick on a player, that player is here for four years regardless of how bad he is" really ended up ruining the bottom of the roster once his drafts started going downhill. Time for the new GM to send a message to the players. Time for Montgomery to go.

No reason to cut Montgomery right now because it's talent you otherwise wouldn't have. And one mistake is one mistake unless he actually had a history of ignoring advice, which I don't think there is. The message sent if he's cut could also be one where the other players become too afraid of ever making a mistake or even being creative.

But heck, I thought MM was pretty well done some weeks ago, so this does nothing but cement that opinion. He'd need an NFC Championship appearance to keep his job at this point. Ned Yost was fired not as much for total-season performance but for one terrible, terrible game of stupid decisions. But even if you want to look at total season, are the Packers performing above their ability level? It'd be pretty tough to say yes.

Hey cut it out there Mr Negative. The Packers are .500 which is totally acceptable for a team led by the best player in football.

Lots of reasons to feel warm and fuzzy after this one. Our love will keep them warm as they look up at the Bears and Vikings and possibly finish last in the North. They tried hard and if they miss the playoffs a second straight year that is a-ok as long as they battle! /s

Hey cut it out there Mr Negative. The Packers are .500 which is totally acceptable for a team led by the best player in football.

Lots of reasons to feel warm and fuzzy after this one. Our love will keep them warm as they look up at the Bears and Vikings and possibly finish last in the North. They tried hard and if they miss the playoffs a second straight year that is a-ok as long as they battle! /s

Man, you are being a tool. That is all.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Says the guy calling people tool and telling them to "blow it out their rear" One person on this thread stepped way over the line and hint hint, it was you. Hopefully you get what's long overdue.

Not being peppy Peter over a team that is yet again very disappointing doesn't give you license to a) be a jerk or b) circumvent the rules.

Says the guy calling people tool and telling them to "blow it out their rear" One person on this thread stepped way over the line and hint hint, it was you. Hopefully you get what's long overdue.

Not being peppy Peter over a team that is yet again very disappointing doesn't give you license to a) be a jerk or b) circumvent the rules.

Your condescending responses is what began it all. You can get your negative point across without it. You seemed to never figure that out. But I’ll just agree with you so you can be happy. The Packers are everything you say they are. You’re right. Everything you post is gold.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Lol. "Condescending," from the guy literally telling people to blow it out their ass. Buh bye buddy. Enjoy the time you have left here. You're throwing a little temper tantrum over the Packers losing and can't handle having their poor play pointed out to you, so you resort to (multiple) personal attacks, per usual for you.

Lol. "Condescending," from the guy literally telling people to blow it out their ass. Buh bye buddy. Enjoy the time you have left here. You're throwing a little temper tantrum over the Packers losing and can't handle having their poor play pointed out to you, so you resort to (multiple) personal attacks, per usual for you.

:laughing Even in this post you're a know it all. Too funny.

Uh oh. Someone is not following forum rules! :laughing

Keep digging your hole.

Just pointing out that you swore. Against forum policy, right?

Keep digging your hole.

Just pointing out that you swore. Against forum policy, right?

Well the forum has a filter which was not triggered, and it was your completely unprovoked insult that I was quoting, so you may not want to die on that hill.

Are you actually a teacher?

Pretty condescending again! WHOA! :laughing I know you don't see how you come across, just got tired of your posts telling everyone how they must see this team. It got old awhile ago. We get it, they wasted Rodgers golden years, yada... yada... yada.

And if you are quoting something, maybe try getting the quote right? ... right?

Not sure how asking if you're a teacher is condescending, but you are really intent on a pissing match. Please keep at it.

You know what I and many others are sick of? You telling people how to feel. It is old. You don't like it? Hit ignore.

I said NOTHING but my opinion on the game and McCarthy. You started slinging insults.

You should have been in the box a longgggg time ago, hopefully this is finally it for you.

Archived