Brewer Fanatic

2018 Award Season

pacopete4

Manny Pina just named as a finals for a Gold Glove at the catcher position.

Man has the catcher position fallen off. I mean Pina, Posey, and caught less than 100 games this year. Even with a direct shot to his nut sac, Molina caught 120+ games. I'm sure it is a no brainer to give him the award but boy, what a weak field it has become.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think Brewers fans tend to underrate Shaw defensively though.

Other than having the quickness to come up on balls in front of him, he has the arm, accuracy, glove at 3B. Shaw looked better at 2B than I would have guessed.

I do think Brewers fans tend to underrate Shaw defensively though.

Other than having the quickness to come up on balls in front of him, he has the arm, accuracy, glove at 3B. Shaw looked better at 2B than I would have guessed.

Specifically at third, I think Shaw does a really nice job coming in on the ball and making those barehanded plays. That's just my eye test though.

I don't think he moves laterally as well as guys like Arrenado, Chapman, Baez, or Rendon though.

I don't know if there are publicly available numbers to verify this so I could be wrong. :)

Yelich and Cain also finalists. I like Cain's odds. Yelich being a legit (overwhelming?) MVP candidate will help, even though it shouldn't.

Yelich is a legit Gold Glove-level defender in LF. He is miscast in RF, though, do to a lack of arm strength. He's likely to continue seeing time in RF, though, as long as Braun is on this team.

Shaw is slow running up on balls. He makes decent throws, but you can’t be that slow and get a ton of baserunners out. I think he is a fine defender, but nowhere near GG.

Shaw is underrated to some extent, but Yelich is overrated. Yelich isn’t very fast so he doesn’t cover a ton of ground and his arm is pretty terrible. He runs great routes though which a lot of people overlook when it comes to OF defense. I just don’t see how you can get anywhere close to calling him a GG.

Shaw for 2B? Because he was shoved out of his position for a better fielder. I mean these awards are ridiculous.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's hard to judge catcher defense when I haven't seen them play much and when the defensive metrics for catchers aren't quite there, so not going to comment on that. But in the other three races, Cain is the only one who should be winning. And he really, really should.

Shaw is a very underrated 3B though. Not someone to make those throws from his knees outside the third baseline like Arenado does, but his decision making and the reliability and accuracy of his throws has impressed me throughout his tenure.

Shaw is slow running up on balls. He makes decent throws, but you can’t be that slow and get a ton of baserunners out. I think he is a fine defender, but nowhere near GG.

Shaw is underrated to some extent, but Yelich is overrated. Yelich isn’t very fast so he doesn’t cover a ton of ground and his arm is pretty terrible. He runs great routes though which a lot of people overlook when it comes to OF defense. I just don’t see how you can get anywhere close to calling him a GG.

Doesn't Yelich already have a GG from Miami? I think you may be being a bit harsh. He doesn't have Broxton speed, but he is definitely fast. His arm is pretty accurate, but it is definitely lacking in the power department.

GGs in some ways, over the past decade, have sort of become an award for the best defensive player who can also hit

Doesn't Yelich already have a GG from Miami? I think you may be being a bit harsh. He doesn't have Broxton speed, but he is definitely fast. His arm is pretty accurate, but it is definitely lacking in the power department.

GGs in some ways, over the past decade, have sort of become an award for the best defensive player who can also hit

Well I guess we are talking LF right? Which for most NL teams is where the worst defender goes in OF or their worst defender period. So yah, competition isn’t really all that high from the get go.

Yelich probably would have won in the old days because he was the best hitter, will be interesting to see now that defensive stats make up part of the vote...

Dickerson | 1057 Innings +16 DRS +8.6 UZR

Duvall | 766 innings +17 DRS +6.6 UZR

Yelich | 596 innings 0 DRS -2.2 UZR (in LF only)

Yelich | 1269 innings +3 DRS +0.6 UZR (all three OF spots)

If they don't win ay least they were recognized.

Travis did a great job at second base with no previous time there. How many players can do that. He isn't Brooks Robinson but give the guy credit for only having 11 errors all year playing 3 infield positions.

Travis did a great job at second base with no previous time there. How many players can do that. He isn't Brooks Robinson but give the guy credit for only having 11 errors all year playing 3 infield positions.

He had all 11 at second base, don't forget that.

He had 10 errors at 3B, and just 1 at 2B.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/shawtr01.shtml

Gruber Lawffices

He had 10 errors at 3B, and just 1 at 2B.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/shawtr01.shtml

Obvious knock on the MLB Network announce team who knew absolutely nothing about the Brewers when they broadcast their NLDS game against the Rockies.

Yelich isn't very fast....?

this

Yelich isn't very fast....?

Compared to....like....Cain....or like Hamilton...or other guys considered elite defensively, no. He does not have elite speed. He does not cover a ton of ground.

But once again I guess we are talking LF where you just need to be slightly above average in the OF to win a GG.

Yelich won the NL Hank Aaron Award

J.D. Martinez won it in the AL.

When do they announce the MVPs?

It is usually mid-November. I believe this year the MVP awards are announced on November 15th.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Hader wins Hoffman POY award. Chalk another award for the crew.

Archived