Brewer Fanatic

Asdrubal Cabrera

Good hitter, but grades out as a pretty poor defender. Maybe the Brewers aggressive positioning helps that.

I don't think he'd be atop the list of targets, but if he's signed late in the offseason as the primary second basemen or utility infielder for 2019 that's reasonable.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cabrera is interesting. He's got his warts, but that doesn't mean he can't be good.

The bad:

At 34 next month, he's going to decline at some point. His defense has never been good and won't get any better with age. He's not terrible, but below average. Might get pricey (in years and money) if someone else really wants him.

The good:

Switch hitter. He's been a consistent hitter the last few years. He's hit roughly .260-.280 with 15-20 HRs in each of his last four seasons. As noted above, he's hit better away Citi Field - about .50 points in OPS better on the road. So Miller Park would probably be good for him. He doesn't have big splits. He tends to hit for a higher average, but less power, against left handers. He gets more power - but his BA drops - against righties. It sort is a wash - at least looking at OPS. Offers versatility - but isn't really that good at any position.

Observations:

Would slide in at 2B for the Brewers. We'd give up some defense, but get a more consistent bat that what we have had the past few years. The team would benefit from a consistent guy at 2B, plus the switch hitting bat. If Shaw continues to struggle against lefties, he could get some starts there as well. He would also be a more realistic substitute for Arcia if the latter gets hurt or struggles again.

In the end, it really comes down to years and dollars. If he required more than a one year commitment, he could move into a super sub role if Hiura was ready in 2020. But if someone offers him 3 years and $30M, you want to pass. If the team decides he's their man, I wouldn't do more than two years. One year and an option would be better - but I'm guessing at least a 2-year commitment will be necessary.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Mets are one of the worst teams in baseball at defensive runs saved as well. Usually a pretty good indicator that they haven't made good use of positioning and shifts. It's likely Cabrera would be better deployed defensively by the Brewers.

Good thing to remember. Defensive ratings can potentially reflect the team in some ways.

I remember watching Cabrera and not being particularly impressed by defense. But that's just me. Perhaps it's his body type -- he's a little thicker than a lot of middle infielders - and just doesn't look that smooth.

• 2 months later...

Archived