Brewer Fanatic

2018 World Series

Bombers
This does show that money equals winning.

It’s amazing to think what we could do with either of these teams payrolls.

Money makes it easier but you still have to be competent. I don't think $200 million would suddenly make it easy for the Brewers. Lots of teams have had plenty of money and been dry for a long time. The Yankees have not really been all that great for the last 15 years or so. There was basically no separation between the Dodgers and Brewers. Money was not why the Brewers missed out on the WS. The Cardinals are competitive every year without a really monster payroll, the Royals won two pennants and a championship.

The money thing is just sort of played out. That is MLB, it is not changing, so we are better off just learning how to compete under these circumstances, which we are doing. I am convinced that money will not prevent the Brewers from winning a championship.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a Dodgers fan, I am so glad they lost this World Series. The thought of Machado being a world champion would make me want to retch. Poetic justice he makes the final out.

I thought the same thing. I hope he goes back to the NL next season. I don't want to face that creep any more than necessary. He's gonna hurt somebody before he's finished.

As a Dodgers fan, I am so glad they lost this World Series. The thought of Machado being a world champion would make me want to retch. Poetic justice he makes the final out.

Dodgers fan?

I'll never understand split loyalties as a fan.

I root for one team, and one team only. I dislike all other teams.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I hope that woman in the Dodgers cap from a couple innings ago is cheering her head off.

That was so strange to see her wearing the Dodgers cap, but cheering for the Red Sox... I doubt she has a clue what to cheer for, or who to cheer for, or when to do the cheering.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I hope that woman in the Dodgers cap from a couple innings ago is cheering her head off.

That was so strange to see her wearing the Dodgers cap, but cheering for the Red Sox... I doubt she has a clue what to cheer for, or who to cheer for, or when to do the cheering.

Maybe her husband is a Dodgers fan. ;)

1) I would rather be there losing the World Series than how we ended it. It is not all that uncommon to make consecutive World Series appearances so not like I would be scared of some terrible history of WS losers.

2) Not sure why anyone thinks we would have fared better against the Red Sox. They are good...really good. Yes, the Dodgers bullpen blew and ours doesn't. That being said our starters suck compared to the Dodgers...not to mention how much longer could we just keep using our pitchers the way we did? I think we would have ended up in a similar result.

Jalen Beeks. That's all the Red Sox had to give up to get Eovaldi. Hindsight is of course 20/20. For all the things Stearns did right, if he would have identified Eovaldi and outbid the Red Sox for him, Eovaldi could have been the difference maker for the Brewers this postseason.

Again, it's all just 20/20 hindsight. You can certainly see that Stearns had other holes to fill. But wow Eovaldi was awesome this postseason.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=beeks-000jal

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Jalen Beeks. That's all the Red Sox had to give up to get Eovaldi. Hindsight is of course 20/20. For all the things Stearns did right, if he would have identified Eovaldi and outbid the Red Sox for him, Eovaldi could have been the difference maker for the Brewers this postseason.

Again, it's all just 20/20 hindsight. You can certainly see that Stearns had other holes to fill. But wow Eovaldi was awesome this postseason.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=beeks-000jal

Can Eovaldi put up an .800 OPS? If not, then he really wouldn't have helped much.

2) Not sure why anyone thinks we would have fared better against the Red Sox. They are good...really good. Yes, the Dodgers bullpen blew and ours doesn't. That being said our starters suck compared to the Dodgers...not to mention how much longer could we just keep using our pitchers the way we did? I think we would have ended up in a similar result.

Have to agree. The Red Sox were the best team in baseball this year. The Brewers would have had a huge uphill climb to knock off those guys. 108 regular season wins and then pretty easily handled a 103 win team in the playoffs. My hats off to them. Just no dispute that they were MLB's best team in 2018.

Have to agree. The Red Sox were the best team in baseball this year. The Brewers would have had a huge uphill climb to knock off those guys. 108 regular season wins and then pretty easily handled a 103 win team in the playoffs. My hats off to them. Just no dispute that they were MLB's best team in 2018.

...and the 100 win Yankees.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

For all the bashing on Machado's antics, I don't believe anyone has posted his slash line from the World Series yet.

.182/.208/.182/.390

Ouch!

Despite allll the reasons he's a POS and his horrible results in postseason, he'll still get paid. Annoying.

Glad Dodgers lost, suckbutts.

1) I would rather be there losing the World Series than how we ended it. It is not all that uncommon to make consecutive World Series appearances so not like I would be scared of some terrible history of WS losers.

I really agree with your second paragraph. We do need better starting pitching. Do we have them already on the roster? That's the big question I suppose.

The best part of the WS was Machado striking out to end the game and give the Sox the win and the series. He didn't hit and even kicked Pierce at first like he did to Jesus. Just a punk and whoever gives him a big contract will be making a big mistake. If he acts like that trying to get the big contract imagine how he will be after he gets one guaranteed.

Money makes it easier but you still have to be competent. I don't think $200 million would suddenly make it easy for the Brewers. Lots of teams have had plenty of money and been dry for a long time. The Yankees have not really been all that great for the last 15 years or so. There was basically no separation between the Dodgers and Brewers. Money was not why the Brewers missed out on the WS. The Cardinals are competitive every year without a really monster payroll, the Royals won two pennants and a championship.

The money thing is just sort of played out. That is MLB, it is not changing, so we are better off just learning how to compete under these circumstances, which we are doing. I am convinced that money will not prevent the Brewers from winning a championship.

Money doesn't guarantee championships, but it gives a team a head start.

It also, and probably more importantly, allows teams to recover from mistakes. Teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs, can much more easily bounce back from bad personnel moves, bad drafts, and just bad seasons in general. Teams like the Brewers and Royals can't afford many mistakes. They can't afford not to hit on trades when they give up four prospects. They need everything to come together almost perfectly.

Our financial constraints could've easily held them back from one hitter that would've made the difference. Obvious example being Machado, put him on our team instead of theirs and maybe that's the difference. That's ignoring that having the money to have one legit starter to go deep might have been a help in keeping the BP fresh so maybe JJ doesn't fall apart and/or Hader could've come in the 5/6 inning instead of the 3rd. It matters, it's just that we all know the reality so there's no point in whining about it. I like not being the mega team and having any title be a major story/accomplishment. I have one friend originally from Boston who's a huge Sox fan, this is just ho hum at this point, not really even a big deal.

Another example thinking of Red Sox. We have Braun locked in at that money so nothing we can do, we're gonna play him. If we had Red Sox money we can sign JD Martinez and just have Braun be backup or whatever. You can think of stuff like that very easily. I think his bat could've been useful for us.

Money doesn't guarantee championships, but it gives a team a head start.

It also, and probably more importantly, allows teams to recover from mistakes. Teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs, can much more easily bounce back from bad personnel moves, bad drafts, and just bad seasons in general. Teams like the Brewers and Royals can't afford many mistakes. They can't afford not to hit on trades when they give up four prospects. They need everything to come together almost perfectly.

Money in baseball doesn't guarantee championships, but it essentially eliminates worrying about windows as an organization to try and win a title - money can be thrown around to dull the pain of losing key players or injuries, and teams with bottomless pocketbooks can be much more aggressive trading minor league assets knowing they can buy themselves out of a mistake if they really have to.

This year's AL playoff teams were last year's champion (Astros) who went even more all in for 2018, the Indians (go for it year aided by playing in an awful division), Red Sox (huge market), Yankees (huge market), and A's (AL version of the this year's Brewers). The NL playoff teams were the Dodgers (huge market), Cubs (huge market), Braves (tons of young talent aided by the Nats underperforming), Rockies (go for it year prior to key bats reaching free agency), and Brewers (smallest market in baseball). Money in baseball absolutely makes a difference in setting teams up for the sustained opportunity to compete for titles.

Other than 2014-2015 the Red Sox haven't had two consecutive sub 80 win years since 1966.

That is a crazy statistic.

Check out the Yankees, they've had like 6 years EVER of sub 78-79 type win seasons. Had a bad 4 year stretch in 89-92 and 2 years in the 60s, that's it. Haven't been below .500 since after the financial boom started in the 90s.

Archived