Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado's Game 7 Crotch Grab

bani1717
I 100% agree with snapper. When it comes to the "kids are watching" talk, in today's world a dude in a baseball game grabbing his junk is absolutely nothing compared to what these kids hear, see, and say on a daily basis. heck, it happens so quick very few would even notice it if adults didn't talk about it and make a fuss about it. Every 12 year old kid in that stadium heard language from fully grown adults in their areas that is way worse than a dude touching his junk, which most of them didn't even notice.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Puig didn't bother me. I know others don't like him, but I view him as a free spirit. There was plenty of animation from the Brewers when they were in LA from Pina, Aguilar & Cain that the fans were riding them on...I thought they were just excited. He reminds me of Carlos Gomez and we all loved the way he played. More unbridled enthusiasm than any malice.

I hated Gomez. He was just immature, and his enthusiasm would lead to dumb stuff that hurt the team. Big difference between that and just being excited and demonstrative. He completely lost me when he tried to start a fight with Gerrit Cole over a being cursed out, but Cole was walking away and Gomez deserved to be cursed out anway for admiring a triple instead of turning it into what would have been an easy inside-the-park home run. He was a punk. Still is. No control over his impulses.

I agree about Puig. Bad social sense, but not malicious or unstable.

Making excuses for guys like Machado doesn't sit well with me. His behaviors are never acceptable.

I would hate to have a punk like that on my team, it would be impossible to root for him, under any circumstance.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I’m all for loosening the “unwirtten rules” and letting the guys play withouth bench clearing brawls because a guy pumped his fist or watched his 450-foot home run for an extra second.

But if a guy rounds the bases giving the entire crowd the “suck it” gesture on national TV, I also have no problem with him getting a fastball in the ribs next time we play.

Strongly agree. Bat flips and general excitement are one thing. Vulgar gestures like that toward what could be children in the crowd is a whole new thing and not ok. This is right up there with Randy Moss. So what if the crowd boos you? It's in reaction to you being a dirty player. I suspect it's going to be someone like Corey Knebel who retaliates as well. I would find it incredibly surprising and weak if we didn't...assuming we get an opportunity next year. Hader won't do it, and really shouldn't. Knebel is a beast, Machado wouldn't want to mess with him...he's the perfect candidates in my opinion. Or else maybe Burnes toward the tail-end of his start.

And this will accomplish what?

Inflict pain.

Accomplish justice since he deserves it. Hey, after we arrest someone for committing a crime what does it accomplish to put them in prison? Crime already committed

Deter other players in the league from trying to injure our players.

CC declared that the reason we made the playoffs was because everyone decided to become a family. If someone trips your little brother on the playground, what does it accomplish for you to punch them in the face? We can hit him in spring training if everyone is so worried about 1 base runner costing us the playoffs.

Inflict pain.

Accomplish justice since he deserves it. Hey, after we arrest someone for committing a crime what does it accomplish to put them in prison? Crime already committed

CC declared that the reason we made the playoffs was because everyone decided to become a family. If someone trips your little brother on the playground, what does it accomplish for you to punch them in the face? We can hit him in spring training if everyone is so worried about 1 base runner costing us the playoffs.

:)

Inflict pain.

I question whether it would really act as a "deterrent" and I would prefer to see professional ballplayers act differently than kids on a playground. I'm more upset that MLB did not review that video and hand down a fine and/or suspension to Machado. Suspend a guy for a playoff or WS game. I think that would be a fairly good deterrent going forward for others that feel the need to act in that manner.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Accomplish nothing except put a runner on base and jeopardize a game in a sport where we tied for the division this year and missed the playoffs by a game last year. If they don't throw at him, half this board will be saying Counsell is weak or something and that he doesn't support the team so they won't support him. It is childish lunacy, and maybe the only thing I hate about baseball. "Retaliate" by handing over a competitive advantage. Imagine if football teams retaliated by clocking a WR and getting pass interference.

In no facet of life is it deemed acceptable to hit somebody on purpose but for some reason it is OK in baseball, as long as the guy did something to mildly displease you first. So the same logic we admonish kindergarteners for.

Maybe he’ll think a bit longer before trying to roll over somebody’s ankle like a middle school child am having a tantrum.

I don’t care for retaliation for bat flips and theatrics, but Machado deserves a fastball somewhere where it hurts.

Accomplish nothing except put a runner on base and jeopardize a game in a sport where we tied for the division this year and missed the playoffs by a game last year. If they don't throw at him, half this board will be saying Counsell is weak or something and that he doesn't support the team so they won't support him. It is childish lunacy, and maybe the only thing I hate about baseball. "Retaliate" by handing over a competitive advantage. Imagine if football teams retaliated by clocking a WR and getting pass interference.

In no facet of life is it deemed acceptable to hit somebody on purpose but for some reason it is OK in baseball, as long as the guy did something to mildly displease you first. So the same logic we admonish kindergarteners for.

Maybe he’ll think a bit longer before trying to roll over somebody’s ankle like a middle school child am having a tantrum.

Could be wrong, but I don't think there is very strong evidence that shows throwing at a player is very effective at changing their behavior. I think what is more likely to happen is that the player will charge the mound. The benches will clear. Players from both teams will be thrown out of the game and risk of a possible injury to one of our players. Suspensions will occur, not just for them, but for our pitcher and possibly others on our team. The opposing team will have a man on first base. Machado will continue to act like a punk. [sarcasm]Awesome![/sarcasm]

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

No and I don't believe it for a second

Don't believe what for a second? That he actually grabbed his crotch?

I was watching the game at home and said to my wife "now he's grabbing his crotch at the crowd". It wasn't clear as day on TV but he definitely did it.

He's a punk. Puig's a punk. We've had players that were punks too.

Overall I don't really care much. Reflects poorly on them, but they don't care so why should I?

I would prefer to see professional ballplayers act differently than kids on a playground.

EXACTLY! Which is why he deserves some retaliation, even though we all know that is not the Brewer way...

I was on the third base side of the Club level for game 6 and after Machado’s last two outs he did the crotch grab towards the audience right before he got to the dugout. I assumed it didn’t make it on TV, but it was very clear what he was doing. I’m very happy the Brewers didn’t acquire this classless fool mid-season.

I don’t care for retaliation for bat flips and theatrics, but Machado deserves a fastball somewhere where it hurts.

This really isn't that different than hockey, where every team has an enforcer that protects little twigs like Crosby. Anyone that gets too out of hand with a key player for one team might find themselves literally in a fist fight on the ice with a big dude on that team. If this guy wants to try and injure our players through his dirty and reckless plays, those actions should have consequences. And whatever fine he got is probably comparable to that $3 playoff convenience fee many of us dealt with. Basically meaningless.

"Manny, you've changed over the years. What was the impetus for you?"

"Well to be honest it started when the Brewers threw a fastball at my back in April of 2019."

Yup. That's exactly what I said would happen.

You protect your own from guys who endanger them. Manny did that. Maybe he doesn't learn anything from being drilled, but maybe it stops makes the next guy think a bit. Perhaps it doesn't, but he could have knocked JA out of a game(s) with that bullcrap, and I'd think a 98 mph fastball that could find a hand, wrist or elbow would make him think twice.

At the least it'd make JA and other teammates feel protected a bit.

I'm not an old school, "he showed me up, let's stick one in his earhole" guy, but when a guy goes out of his way to potentially injure one of your own, you might do something about it. "Winning the game" is already the objective, so let's just avoid that point.

I fully expect almost no one to see it my way. But throwing the ball at Manny doesn't protect anybody. You suggested that it would "make him think twice," which is what I was mocking, in jest. It won't change anything nor does it protect anyone.

I can't avoid the "winning the game" point because putting a guy on base is the opposite of the objective of the game when you pitch. I have always hated putting a guy on first to prove a point. Always, since I was 7 years old. I accept that it's a thing in the game, but I hate it, and always have, and think it is dumb and child-like.

I fully expect almost no one to see it my way. But throwing the ball at Manny doesn't protect anybody. You suggested that it would "make him think twice," which is what I was mocking, in jest. It won't change anything nor does it protect anyone.

Well, to be fair, you can't prove your side anymore than I can (even if he never did anything intentionally again to potentially injure another player, I couldn't credit Knebel's fastball to his ribs for doing that).

Some guys do grow up, though. Maybe it expedites the process.

And even if it doesn't. You get what you get when you play dirty and endanger the health of another player. He simply deserves it.

Does nobody remember that Machado was hit by a pitch the next game? Or was that not good enough because it clearly wasn't intentional? I kinda liked it, he got plunked without all the ejections and drama that usually come with it. I think it's silly to want to throw at him (again) for it. It's over, he's still a dirt bag and always will be.

What he did to Aguilar wasn't as bad as what he did to Pedroia last season and I remember most posters on here were very willing to accept Machado as part of this team if Stearns managed to trade for him, myself included. So I'm good with just booing the guy every time he makes an appearance at Miller Park going forward.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Lmao, if Machado put on a Brewers uniform and OPS'd .975 with 38 homers we'd all forget about his issues real quick. Myself included. Jerry Sandusky is a dirt bag, Manny Machado is just a bit of your classic arrogant showman pro athlete.

We got beat. I thought all the hubbub about it was weak while the series was going on; it is even weaker now.

When Michael Jackson does it, no one has a issue. Now we are getting all over Machado?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

WWE has been doing things crotch grab/suck it related for 20 years now and their primary demographic is kids. It's not much of a big deal at all, it's certainly not going to warp a generation because they saw a guy grab his junk. It's just a cocky (pun intented) thing to do. It is what it, big time athletes have egos and often want to talk back especially when they're getting relentlessly bood. Heck, in baseball players constantly grab their junk just to adjust.

Making excuses for guys like Machado doesn't sit well with me. His behaviors are never acceptable.

I would hate to have a punk like that on my team, it would be impossible to root for him, under any circumstance.

The issue with Machado is this isn't the first time he's done something stupid/dirty. He was a hot head in Baltimore. I don't care how talented he is - I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Archived