Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-20 (NLCS Game #7): Dodgers (Buehler) at Brewers (Chacín) 7:09 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-1 -- 2018 Season Comes to a Close]

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Obviously I want the Brewers to win 10-0, but there is part of me, even if it takes a year off of my life, that would love to see a walk-off homer.

I would gladly, knowingly trade one year off the end of my life for a Brewers win in a game 7 on a walk-off dinger. Preferably by Braun.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously I want the Brewers to win 10-0, but there is part of me, even if it takes a year off of my life, that would love to see a walk-off homer.

I would gladly, knowingly trade one year off the end of my life for a Brewers win in a game 7 on a walk-off dinger. Preferably by Braun.

Kratz walk-off HR

I think I'd rather have Eduardo Escobar over LeMahieu. Same age, more versatility. LeMahieu was pretty bad away from Coors field this year. Asdrubal Cabrera is also a free agent.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Chances Miley could be available and effective as a LOOGY tonight?

Really unlikely. His splits aren't really that extreme for that kind of assignment. It might work out but Hader is probably going to draw a tough lefty way before Miley and Cedeno probably first before Miley too.

Miley has got to be strictly in case of emergency today. If he's pitching we are deep into extra innings.

I made plans to go on a bar crawl tonight months ago, but I had to cancel and go to the game instead. If it’s amazing game that the Brewers win and I chose to go on a bar crawl instead, I think I would regret my decision for a very long time.

They don’t make DVDs about losing Game 7 in the NLCS. We need this win and oddly I’m pretty chill and confident they can get it done. They returned home and the offense was great. Today we get to employ pitching better than any ace one can find. If Chacin can give us a solid start we are golden, just need to score runs then. I think being at home is going to be the difference maker here.

What a ride, gentlemen. God bless David Stearns and Craig Counsell.

Yes, this roster is amazing. Look at the guys who didn’t make the post season roster. There are 6-7 critical pitchers to get us to this point that are watching. As JoeyMeyer pointed out the other day, adding a guy like LeMahieu and perhaps Lowrie can be a big boost for our position players too. This is setting up nicely short and long term.

Getting Lemahieu is a real possibility. He has family ties to Wisconsin. His grandmother lives in Oostburg and when Colorado was in town earlier this year he visited some friends of mine who have a 7 year old son who's favorite player is him. He posed for a picture with him.

Would he be nearly as good away from playing half his games at Coors Field?

That would concern me a lot with the kind of money he will be getting.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yes, this roster is amazing. Look at the guys who didn’t make the post season roster. There are 6-7 critical pitchers to get us to this point that are watching. As JoeyMeyer pointed out the other day, adding a guy like LeMahieu and perhaps Lowrie can be a big boost for our position players too. This is setting up nicely short and long term.

Getting Lemahieu is a real possibility. He has family ties to Wisconsin. His grandmother lives in Oostburg and when Colorado was in town earlier this year he visited some friends of mine who have a 7 year old son who's favorite player is him. He posed for a picture with him.

Would he be nearly as good away from playing half hius games at Coors Field?

That would concern me a lot with the kind of money he will be getting.

Please excuse my captain obvious statement here: Miller Park is considered a hitter friendly park. If you can hit in one park, you should be able to hit in Miller.

Please excuse my captain obvious statement here: Miller Park is considered a hitter friendly park. If you can hit in one park, you should be able to hit in Miller.

LeMahieu has a career OPS+ of 92, and has already had his prime years. Schoop has an OPS+ of 98 for his career, and may still have his prime years ahead of him. So yeah, Miller is a hitter-friendly park, but it's not Coors and LeMahiue would probably just be another 6/7 type hitter on a team that already has too many of those and not enough reliable 3/4 guys to follow up Cain and Yelich.

Schoop has been terrible, no doubt, but so was Santana early this year and so was Aguilar until yesterday. I hated the trade but I don't see a simple upgrade. He could almost be a mascot for the Brewers' offense as a whole because it seems like they should be so dangerous but they're often not - often due to lack of plate discipline, among other things.

"should", yes. Coors has a lot of things going for it that make mediocre hitters look really good. Breaking balls don't break there.

An 83 mph curveball with no break is going to be pretty easy to hit. The outfield is huge, giving outfielders a ton of ground to cover.

Coors isn't just "homer friendly" because of thin air, it's got a confluence of effects that make it extremely friendly for all types of hitters.

In a not-small- sample over his career, Lemaihieu is a .676 OPS hitter away from Coors (with 28 homers) and a .835 OPS hitter at Coors (with 21 homers). These are both almost 2000 PA samples. That's not a normal home/road split, that's a Coors split, and you'll find that pretty normally with a lot of long time Rockies.

Arenado home career OPS 1.022, away .783

Charlie Blackmon home .983/ away 764

Cargo -- .974/.728

Just......no on Lemahieu. I want no part of a .675 OPS 2nd baseman, going into his age 30 season, who hits for little power, and is going to be demanding a pretty significant contract.

LeMahieu has a career OPS+ of 92, and has already had his prime years. Schoop has an OPS+ of 98 for his career, and may still have his prime years ahead of him. So yeah, Miller is a hitter-friendly park, but it's not Coors and LeMahiue would probably just be another 6/7 type hitter on a team that already has too many of those and not enough reliable 3/4 guys to follow up Cain and Yelich.

Schoop has been terrible, no doubt, but so was Santana early this year and so was Aguilar until yesterday. I hated the trade but I don't see a simple upgrade. He could almost be a mascot for the Brewers' offense as a whole because it seems like they should be so dangerous but they're often not - often due to lack of plate discipline, among other things.

Points well taken. When researching DJ phrases like these seem very attractive to a team looking to add quality depth: Batting titles, plus defender, gold gloves, AS selections, 30 years old, competitive fire, under appreciated, Cubs liken him to a younger Ben Zobrist.

I don’t study the market like many of you, but seems like a guy to keep an eye on relative to who else is out there. Of course, it depends on the plans for Moose and Schoop. Where do they fit in the budget and does Schoop possess those qualities that CC and Stearns value? I wonder if they regret the trade for him and may try to go another route.

I guess it would be more about looking for a guy who brings a different philosophy when he's up there. LeMahieu isn't a power guy. He's more a high average, "put the ball in play" guy. Schoop is obvious a "try to hit an 18-run homer every time up" type. We just have too many of those "all or nothing" guys already. Another contact guy after Cain, or even in the #6-7 hole would be ideal. Schoop is never going to be that guy. Can Schoop be a useful player? Of course. I just don't see a fit for another low OBP, high K guy in this lineup on a regular basis.

Ask me about Schoop in 2 weeks (well, maybe tomorrow depending on DH options vs. the Red Sox). Or at least discuss his future in the Transactions Forum.

Tonight, Schoop might send us to the World Series.

Just saw the Fox pregame crew with a blurb about tonight's game 7. Arod says Milwaukee already won by getting this far while LA was expected to win since spring training. Well guys we all know you prefer the Dodgers, except maybe Frank Thomas, but no matter the payroll or how big the market is the Brewers deserve to be here and to go farther.

I think this Fox crew sucks.

Archived