Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-20 (NLCS Game #7): Dodgers (Buehler) at Brewers (Chacín) 7:09 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-1 -- 2018 Season Comes to a Close]

Eye Black
What is the strategy tonight? Hader first guy out of pen for 3 innings? Or give him 8 & 9? This assumes Chacin gives you a solid start.

If we grab an early lead, I would love to see us hold on Hader as long as you can. Very short leash to bring him in, don’t get me wrong, but we have the luxury of a number of other really good relievers.

The Dodgers know Hader is coming in at some point. So the longer the game goes with no Hader, the shorter and shorter the game gets and the more the pressure rises on the Dodgers.

I am not Shea Vucinich

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roberts can go this way:

Pederson L (If his wrist is intact)

Turner R

Muncy L

MM. R

Bellinger L

Taylor R

Puig R

Barnes R

P

Freese, Dozier, Kemp, Kike, and Grandal

I think that could play right into the Brewers' hands. Bring in Hader to face the LHB's early. If they PH for any of them, it's not like it's a huge disadvantage, and now you have more RHB's in there for the rest of the bullpen to face. Or if they leave the LHB's in there, Hader mows them down effortlessly and gives you an extra inning.

Roberts can go this way:

Pederson L (If his wrist is intact)

Turner R

Muncy L

MM. R

Bellinger L

Taylor R

Puig R

Barnes R

P

Freese, Dozier, Kemp, Kike, and Grandal

I think that could play right into the Brewers' hands. Bring in Hader to face the LHB's early. If they PH for any of them, it's not like it's a huge disadvantage, and now you have more RHB's in there for the rest of the bullpen to face. Or if they leave the LHB's in there, Hader mows them down effortlessly and gives you an extra inning.

Roberts might prefer CC using Hader early and then taking his chances against our righties in the 8th and 9th. Great chess here.

With the entire season on the line, what are the odds Knebel and Jeffress could both go 2.0 IP, assuming not many base runners? Knebel went 1.2 IP last night but didn't throw a lot of pitches.

Imagine getting 7.0 IP out of Hader/Knebel/Jeffress alone

And you could use Hader in the middle, to go RHP-LHP-RHP

Barely slept. It’s like Christmas morning at age 8.

Well, I woke up to about an inch of snow in the Northwoods. 'Tis the season! :)

My parents still live up in Superior and they are getting some snow. Ish, ish.. ish!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

With the entire season on the line, what are the odds Knebel and Jeffress could both go 2.0 IP, assuming not many base runners? Knebel went 1.2 IP last night but didn't throw a lot of pitches.

Imagine getting 7.0 IP out of Hader/Knebel/Jeffress alone

And you could use Hader in the middle, to go RHP-LHP-RHP

Using Hader in the middle innings, we would be seeing a lot of Freese, Dozier, and Kemp. If we win, those are the guys we get out. If we lose, those are the guys that beat us.

Is it reasonable to ask who CC trusts more in the 8th and 9th? JJ or Hader. Would he pitch Knebel against say Muncy in the middle innings in relief of Chacin, come back with JJ as the bridge to the end of game to Hader throwing possibly 2+ to close it out?

Or would he go with Hader against Muncy in the middle innings? I go with Knebel personally and give Hader the keys to close this baby out.

Do you think Kershaw will be available out of the bullpen tonight?

Yes, I'd think so. At the very least a LOOGY in a tight spot. I'd also expect Miley is available to do the same.

Kershaw isn't quite what he used to be but he's still really good and I think still has some intimidation factor with the game on the line

All this talk about the bullpen makes me think, "Please let us score runs off of Buehler so that this conversation is necessary."

Buehler is crazy good. I'm so nervous that he's going to shut us down. There's also that part of me that's thinking that we're due for a bad game from a starter. We'll see what happens!

All this talk about the bullpen makes me think, "Please let us score runs off of Buehler so that this conversation is necessary."

Buehler is crazy good. I'm so nervous that he's going to shut us down. There's also that part of me that's thinking that we're due for a bad game from a starter. We'll see what happens!

Let’s say it is the 6th in a close game with Shaw or Moose up. They bring in Kershaw. Do you pinch hit Santana or do you stay with your LHB to keep them active for their power righties coming later from the pen?

They got to Kershaw last time he pitched in Miller Park. They'll do it again. It isn't like the Dodgers pen has been bad by any means. i think it would be a mistake for them to go to Kershaw.

That would make for great drama and I like our chances. I believe that Hill pitching last night was foreshadowing of Kershaw throwing those big benders tonight.

Speaking of baseball drama, this conversation about Kershaw pitching tonight reminds me Randy Johnson in Little Big League

What a ride, gentlemen. God bless David Stearns and Craig Counsell.

Yes, this roster is amazing. Look at the guys who didn’t make the post season roster. There are 6-7 critical pitchers to get us to this point that are watching. As JoeyMeyer pointed out the other day, adding a guy like LeMahieu and perhaps Lowrie can be a big boost for our position players too. This is setting up nicely short and long term.

Buehler is good, but he's also young and has all the pressure on his shoulders. If the Brewers keep the approach they had last night they'll get to him. If they try to jump out of their shoes to be the hero, then well, advantage Buehler.

Counsel has managed about as well as possible. I think Chacin gets the ball at least 3 and from there you manage the pen to keep the mental edge. Holding the best relieves, Hader and Knebel until it's necessary. I'm not sure exactly what that is but I'm saying I wouldn't just put Hader in in the 4th with no sign of trouble in a tie game.

All the hard work during the season, finishing with the best record is on the line now and is why you play for home field. Everything is in the Brewers advantage to start, IMO. I don't care what line Vegas has. Buehler is good but he's young and on the biggest stage of his career. He's not been super dominant in the post season. I reeellly think the Brewers get to him early.

Let's GOOOOOO!

Let’s say it is the 6th in a close game with Shaw or Moose up. They bring in Kershaw. Do you pinch hit Santana or do you stay with your LHB to keep them active for their power righties coming later from the pen?

I'd hold. Moose and Shaw are capable of really good ABs even against lefties

I'd hold. Moose and Shaw are capable of really good ABs even against lefties

Agree, LA has a clear advantage in terms of PH options with the depth on offense they have. Can’t wait for the Crew to get to this point using their budget friendly ways of course.

Yes, this roster is amazing. Look at the guys who didn’t make the post season roster. There are 6-7 critical pitchers to get us to this point that are watching. As JoeyMeyer pointed out the other day, adding a guy like LeMahieu and perhaps Lowrie can be a big boost for our position players too. This is setting up nicely short and long term.

Getting Lemahieu is a real possibility. He has family ties to Wisconsin. His grandmother lives in Oostburg and when Colorado was in town earlier this year he visited some friends of mine who have a 7 year old son who's favorite player is him. He posed for a picture with him.

Obviously I want the Brewers to win 10-0, but there is part of me, even if it takes a year off of my life, that would love to see a walk-off homer.

I was going to say about the same thing. I know it's stressful, but close games and long odds are part of what has made this year so fun. If I could somehow choose a very tight game while somehow guaranteeing that the Brewers win, I would do it. I was going to say at the beginning of the series that I kind of hope the Brewers win in 7, but wasn't sure I would be able to explain it.

Getting Lemahieu is a real possibility. He has family ties to Wisconsin. His grandmother lives in Oostburg and when Colorado was in town earlier this year he visited some friends of mine who have a 7 year old son who's favorite player is him. He posed for a picture with him.

LeMahieu would be an absolute ideal #2 hole hitter in this lineup. But he'd also be a perfect fit in a lot of lineups. I have a feeling he will be pretty highly sought after this offseason. The nice thing about him is that he has some positional versatility as well, as he's logged time at 3B and SS. He's known as a very good fielder at 2B, though, and at 30 years old is still in the prime of his career.

Archived