Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-19 (NLCS Game #6): Dodgers (Ryu) at Brewers (Miley) 7:39 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-2 -- Force Game 7 with the NL Pennant and a spot in the World Series on the line]

Eye Black
Guess for the lineup given Ryu's reverse splits:

1. Cain CF

2. Yelich RF

3. Braun LF

4. Shaw 2B

5. Aguilar 1B

6. Moustakas 3B

7. Kratz C

8. Arcia SS

9. Miley P

If Miley has a good start (5 innings, 1 run), we can afford to trot out Hader, Knebel, Jeffress for multiple innings each. Dodgers are going to need great pitching to beat us today if they can't hit Miley.

I can understand going with Kratz, but I'd prefer to get Pina in there for the offense. I also like the idea of going Santana in Aguilar's spot with Braun at 1b, I just don't think it happens. Also there's an outside chance they go Perez at 2b and Shaw at 1b with Perez hitting 5th. Both Santana and Perez are probably less than 5% chance of happening, this is probably the lineup with the most likely variation being at catcher.

Kratz catches Miley. That's just the way it is. You aren't going to mess with chemistry in Game 6 of the NLCS. Kratz is gonna catch Chacin tomorrow too. I'm sure Pina will have the opportunity to make a contribution in a big spot at some point, though.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea this off day has helped me enjoy where we are at a little more than I have.

These games have been SO TENSE!

Lets get the win tonight and see what happens tomorrow!

+1. I feel so much more positive and optimistic today than I felt after the game Wednesday. Letting the losses settle and realize we have a fully rested bullpen and our top 2 starters going in must win games...i think we have a real chance in both. We outplayed the Dodgers pretty significantly in games 1 and 2, and only lost 2 due to the bullpen meltdown. If we can win today, I could see the stage being a bit too big for Buehler on Saturday. He struggled with it in his first postseason start, knowing he's starting game 7 might result in a similar struggle.

Kratz catches Miley. That's just the way it is. You aren't going to mess with chemistry in Game 6 of the NLCS. Kratz is gonna catch Chacin tomorrow too. I'm sure Pina will have the opportunity to make a contribution in a big spot at some point, though.

The problem is it's really dangerous to use your only back-up catcher in any close game. You burn him as a PH and he's done. What if Kratz gets hurt or ejected? Disaster. Same thing if you bring Pina in to catch but he gets hurt or something. I'm not sure that's a risk they can afford to take, even if Pina is hitting really well lately.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The problem is it's really dangerous to use your only back-up catcher in any close game. You burn him as a PH and he's done. What if Kratz gets hurt or ejected? Disaster. Same thing if you bring Pina in to catch but he gets hurt or something. I'm not sure that's a risk they can afford to take, even if Pina is hitting really well lately.

That's the risk you take when a loss means your season is over. Both teams used both catchers in the extra inning game the other day.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I also think it would be an appropriate risk to start Pina due to how bad our offense has been. I understand the Kratz catches these guys thing. But Pina is a good defensive C and everything Kratz is being praised for in handling these guys are the same things Pina was praised for last year. Long story short, I think any potential risk of loss in chemistry is worth it for the increased chance of offense.

Pina is probably a 9th inning or extra innings PH option if we don't have other available...assuming they start Kratz. FWIW, Pina is 0-1 with a wak against Jansen career. Worth noting since he would likely face Jansen if he got an AB today.

I'm pushing for a starting lineup that includes Domingo...I think he deserves to get 3-4 ABs in this game more than Aguilar does given recent performances. Ryu isn't a lefty that should dictate sitting your best lefthanded bats - Shaw needs to start this game, IMO.

Cain CF

Yelich LF

Braun 1B

Shaw 2B

Santana RF

Moose 3B

Arcia SS

Kratz C

Miley P

Doubt it happens that these are the starting 9 - but if they are I actually wouldn't mind if the lineup shuffles a bit provided these are the guys in it. I get the want to get Pina in the lineup, but as others have said Kratz is Miley's catcher. Wouldn't mind taking the risk of Pina replacing Kratz later in the game once Miley comes out though. they've already subbed catchers out twice this postseason, including a game where Kratz walked a thin line in getting tossed after he was rung up on a terrible strike 3 call. Plus, Pina is the far better option to try and keep a late inning steal from happening.

That's the risk you take when a loss means your season is over. Both teams used both catchers in the extra inning game the other day.

Certainly late in the game or in extra innings as you run out of PH options, it's a given that you use the back-up catcher eventually. It's a lot like trying not to use your last 2 relievers in a tie game though; a lot of other options will be explored first. It's not a given that he will hit at some point, as it probably is with Santana for example.

I agree with tmwiese that Pina was supposedly this great defensive catcher who helped the staff overachieve last year though, so why doesn't that apply now?

Can you really expect Kershaw to pitch at all? He would be on 2 days rest tomorrow. I guess maybe for an inning but I don't know why Roberts would go that route with as good as the Dodgers bullpen has been. Maybe he could bring him in as a LOOGY but that is about it.

Can you really expect Kershaw to pitch at all? He would be on 2 days rest tomorrow. I guess maybe for an inning but I don't know why Roberts would go that route with as good as the Dodgers bullpen has been. Maybe he could bring him in as a LOOGY but that is about it.

If it goes extras, sure...but I agree that it's not like he'd be covering multiple innings right after Buehler. Part of what made Wednesday's game so frustrating is his deep start preserved some of the gassed bullpen arms the Brewers could have taken advantage of in the middle innings while the game was still tight. Instead they got to roll with their best non-closer (Baez) option followed by short 1-2 batter stints by their other key guys. Jansen only comes in that game because Madsen obviously didn't have it.

As a Brewer fan, Kershaw on 2 days rest after throwing ~100 pitches would be great to see pitching in game 7 at Miller Park. To me that would mean that they have the Dodgers on the ropes or are tied late where 1 swing of the bat could send them to the world series.

I would bet that Perez gets the start tonight.

I would be shocked if any of Yelich, Cain, Braun, Shaw, Moustakas didn't start. Outside chance Perez starts at SS, but I suspect they go with Arcia there. I believe his HR at home came in game 2 off Ryu. Then you have a catcher. That pretty much leaves 1 spot for Santana/Aguilar/Perez/maaaaaybe Granderson. If he starts Schoop at 2nd, I'm going to charge the field and kick CC in the nuts.

Community Moderator

The boos for Machado might be the loudest boos in Miller Park history.

Something which he has definitely earned. He's a Punk.

Absolutely. In the unlikely event of a blowout I wouldn't be surprised to see us try and settle the score. It would be fun to see if any Dodgers would actually try and defend him in a brawl.

We're going to win tonight. Every time we count this team out they come back. This makes me think of the Independence Day speech by Bill Pullman
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

All this discussion we have had about double plays, CC intentionally walking people, the amazing pitching we have had, and the horrible offensive output.... it's all well and good but.... I need to know....

Is this a must win game?

Asking for a friend.

:)

All this discussion we have had about double plays, CC intentionally walking people, the amazing pitching we have had, and the horrible offensive output.... it's all well and good but.... I need to know....

Is this a must win game?

Asking for a friend.

This is the first true must-win game of the season. Even the play-in game wasn't a must win. I honestly think this game decides the series. If we win today, I think we carry the momentum to a win tomorrow. Might somewhat depend on bullpen availability. I hope he isn't shy about reliever usage today. It's a must win, figure out tomorrow when we get there...I'll be annoyed if he "saves" anybody for a game tomorrow.

The only pitchers that would be saved would be long relievers who pitched a lot the last couple games and need an extra day of rest. All the short relievers would clearly be a go. Obviously, if it goes extras and someone HAS to pitch, then they'll pitch.

Hopefully we score some runs so all of this matters.

And as for the question about Kershaw, I don't think he would pitch today, but he would totally go an inning or two tomorrow if they need him. Game 7 is anyone whose arm isn't about to fall off.

Is this a must win game?

Asking for a friend.

This is the first true must-win game of the season. Even the play-in game wasn't a must win. I honestly think this game decides the series. If we win today, I think we carry the momentum to a win tomorrow. Might somewhat depend on bullpen availability. I hope he isn't shy about reliever usage today. It's a must win, figure out tomorrow when we get there...I'll be annoyed if he "saves" anybody for a game tomorrow.

Said that to my wife last night. Whoever wins game 6, will win the series. (Duh for the Dodgers, but I also feel the same about the Brewers, and the environment Miller Park would/will be in a game 7 to go to the WS)

I can't understate the amazing pitching we got in this series though... and what the young guns have done. Sets us up for the future quite nice. When is the last time we could say that about our team - LET ALONE OUR ARMS?!?!?! AAAAAAHHHHHH! Lets GOOOOOOOO !

Here is what I know: this team is one of the greats no matter what.

That said, I am not ready to begin celebrating their accomplishments yet. I would like to think about what they haven't yet done for another two weeks. So, I hope they keep playing baseball.

There will be a time to remember this team fondly. I hope it doesn't come tonight.

Archived