Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-17 (NLCS Game #5): Brewers (Miley) at Dodgers (Kershaw) 4:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-2]

Eye Black
would be nice if Yeli could remember how to hit the ball in the air again.

How ironic for him to carry us into the postseason to pretty much be a dumpster fire to knock us out.

That’s postseason baseball for you. The whole opinion of a player changes by how they perform in postseason.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How ironic for him to carry us into the postseason to pretty much be a dumpster fire to knock us out.

That’s postseason baseball for you. The whole opinion of a player changes by how they perform in postseason.

He's taken his walks still. And remember game 1 vs Rox he carried them. And even last night found a way to claw his way on base. But really when is the last time he drove anything in the air. Everything is a dribbler right now. Hope he busts out the next few games at the perfect time.

Yup, that is why players like Alcides Escobar are still on their teams well longer than they should. Was the ALCS MVP and now they resigned him for no apparent reason even though he doesn't really fit the roster. They keep him around because it keeps the happy thoughts of 2015 going.

He's taken his walks still. And remember game 1 vs Rox he carried them. And even last night found a way to claw his way on base. But really when is the last time he drove anything in the air. Everything is a dribbler right now. Hope he busts out the next few games at the perfect time.

Not saying he hasn't earned them, but a lot are easy walks when a pitcher obviously has no interest pitching to him. The most concerning thing to me is he has started to just look like he wants a walk. Has his bat on the shoulder in 3-1 counts talking it all the way. Just doesn't look comfortable. Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he is busting out of that slump the rest of this series.

This matchup is exposing why I cannot wait for the Hiura era to begin. All of the lefties we are seeing are killing the offense with Yelich slumping and Shaw and Moose unable to hit them. Another right handed stud bat would do wonders since Schoop has forgotten how to hit. Braun has done his job but that's it. I also can't figure out how but Santana deserves more than one ab a game at this point.

Let's be fair, it's been the entire offense, 1-6 (aside from Shaw) that has been utterly horrible this series.

Aguilar: .267 OBP, .695 OPS

Braun: .278 OBP, .611 OPS

Cain: .238/.583

Yelich: .350/.538

Moose: .167/.284

You just can't have that many hitters struggling that much and hope to score runs.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Unlike Cain and Moose, I’ve given up on Schoop, Yelich is at least modestly getting on base. But yes unless he is driving the ball he isn’t much help right now. It wasn’t like he was white hot for a few weeks, he was doing it for an entire half of the season. It’s like the deal he made with the devil had an expiration. Weird to go from Mike Trout to Ramon Flores overnight.

RBIs matter. People who say they don’t haven’t watched this series.

This matchup is exposing why I cannot wait for the Hiura era to begin. All of the lefties we are seeing are killing the offense with Yelich slumping and Shaw and Moose unable to hit them. Another right handed stud bat would do wonders since Schoop has forgotten how to hit. Braun has done his job but that's it. I also can't figure out how but Santana deserves more than one ab a game at this point.

Well Braun Cain Jesus and Yeli are all very good vs lefties. So theoretically this all should have been balanced well. But yea they're all scuffling right now at the worst time except Braun

Runs are at a premium, we need to approach AB the right way and play fundamental baseball. Pina's leadoff double yesterday...bunt the guy to 3rd, or at least try hitting to RF so you advance the runner on anything on the ground.

Hard to imagine the game today being something besides a 2-1 type game again.

I think the argument is that "clutch hitting" is not really a thing. If you get a hit with runners in scoring position, that's just coincidence, not "clutch". Also, you can't control the hitters in front of you and if they are getting on base before your AB. So, hit's and walks are more important to look at than RBIs.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think the argument is that "clutch hitting" is not really a thing. If you get a hit with runners in scoring position, that's just coincidence, not "clutch". Also, you can't control the hitters in front of you and if they are getting on base before your AB. So, hit's and walks are more important to look at than RBIs.

I’ve heard that argument many times. I play a lot of golf and I can promise you it’s not a coincidence that some players hit the 18th the green in regulation and some don’t.

People who say timing of hits are a coincidence haven’t played a lot of competitive sports.

It’s really just that since stats can’t quantify “clutch” it’s so oddly dismissed.

PHing is hard. Santana has done well with it. There is nowhere for him to play that makes sense right now. He is in the role he should be in. Other guys need to do their jobs.

Domingo is certainly helping his case for a big role on next year's team. Or perhaps as a trade candidate if the team decides to go that route. But right now the role he's in is very valuable, and he's performing in it. That is really awesome to see.

I know it's the way baseball is played now, but bellinger's AB against Hader in the 9th yesterday really made me question why hitters don't try to take advantage of extreme shifting if the game situation is screaming for it. Yelich bunted his way on earlier this series...moose and Shaw could have chances at doubles just by playing pepper with the left side of the infield. Even with guys in scoring position, hitters on both teams with two strikes are still swinging for the downs when a bleeder through a vacated half of the infield will get the job done.

Get guys on base, put pressure on the d and pitching...you may sacrifice the chance for more hr's, but it's not like balls are flying out left and right.

I’ve heard that argument many times. I play a lot of golf and I can promise you it’s not a coincidence that some players hit the 18th the green in regulation and some don’t.

People who say timing of hits are a coincidence haven’t played a lot of competitive sports.

It’s really just that since stats can’t quantify “clutch” it’s so oddly dismissed.

I completely agree with you. It is just human nature. Some people are more easily flustered in high stakes situations. Other guys like it, or able to just tune it out and pretend they're in the backyard. I've always been bothered by that mantra that it isn't a thing. Anyone that has played sports knew which guys were better in those scenarios.

There’s a certain arrogance you need to have. Call it mojo, clutch, ice in your veins, whatever. When I first played in tournaments in my club every putt looked like it was 80 feet and the hole was half the size. Today it looks like a manhole.

Statistics just can’t wrap their head around a guy who lives for the moment and guys who simply can’t relax enough to let their muscle memory do their thing.

I think it's dismissed because there is generally not a consistency to most player's "clutch" hitting year over year. Some players have more RBI than other just because of where they hit in the lineup. Also, take Braun last night for example. He could have had a few RBI last night if Cain and Yelich got on base before him. Just because he didn't have any RBI doesn't mean he didn't do his job.

I play a lot of golf too. Sometimes I hit the 18th green in regulation, sometimes I don't. I don't feel it has anything to do with being "clutch".

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I know it's the way baseball is played now, but bellinger's AB against Hader in the 9th yesterday really made me question why hitters don't try to take advantage of extreme shifting if the game situation is screaming for it. Yelich bunted his way on earlier this series...moose and Shaw could have chances at doubles just by playing pepper with the left side of the infield. Even with guys in scoring position, hitters on both teams with two strikes are still swinging for the downs when a bleeder through a vacated half of the infield will get the job done.

Get guys on base, put pressure on the d and pitching...you may sacrifice the chance for more hr's, but it's not like balls are flying out left and right.

While I agree overall that when you know a single scores a run, just do all you can to hit oppo. If that means moving back from the plate a bit, choking up etc do what you have to do. The main thing I wanted to point out is that when shifted like that they also pitch you to it, as in their jamming everything inside thus making it hard to go oppo. So it's harder than it seems. That's why I mentioned moving away from the plate.

For the clutch talk. I think what I've seen over the years is that there isn't necessarily a clutch aspect but more of an anti-clutch. As in, pressure can legit cause tensing up and choking. But there isn't really anything legit that someone does better in the clutch. hope that makes sense. So being 'clutch' is just being your normal self.

That isn't really a great example of clutch. I remember many years ago, 60 minutes did a segment on this. They had 5-6 people in a room on a putting green. Then after they hit, they told all of them they were on national TV and did it again. 5 of them were drastically worse and 1 guy got better. It's obviously imperfect, but it gets to the point.

Are pro athletes a little more immune to that? Yeah, obviously. But it's not at all an influence when the situation is more tense? I just can't believe that, they are humans, not robots. I absolutely believe some guys freeze up in October with a guy on 2nd more than they would in the middle of May.

That isn't really a great example of clutch. I remember many years ago, 60 minutes did a segment on this. They had 5-6 people in a room on a putting green. Then after they hit, they told all of them they were on national TV and did it again. 5 of them were drastically worse and 1 guy got better. It's obviously imperfect, but it gets to the point.

Are pro athletes a little more immune to that? Yeah, obviously. But it's not at all an influence when the situation is more tense? I just can't believe that, they are humans, not robots. I absolutely believe some guys freeze up in October with a guy on 2nd more than they would in the middle of May.

To hit a golf ball your wrists and forearms need to be jelly or you can’t close the club face. Try doing that while your heart is racing and you are tense. It’s impossible to mechanically do that.

The notion that a .300 hitter just randomly gets 3 hits out of every 10 ABs regardless of circumstances is something only a non athlete could agree. And by being a golfer I’m not calling myself an athlete ;)

While I agree overall that when you know a single scores a run, just do all you can to hit oppo. If that means moving back from the plate a bit, choking up etc do what you have to do. The main thing I wanted to point out is that when shifted like that they also pitch you to it, as in their jamming everything inside thus making it hard to go oppo. So it's harder than it seems. That's why I mentioned moving away from the plate.

For the clutch talk. I think what I've seen over the years is that there isn't necessarily a clutch aspect but more of an anti-clutch. As in, pressure can legit cause tensing up and choking. But there isn't really anything legit that someone does better in the clutch. hope that makes sense. So being 'clutch' is just being your normal self.

I agree with that. Choking is a thing.

True on how pitchers try to pitch into shifts, but if a hitter actually changes their approach from taking full effort swings it's a ton easier to spoil well-located pitches or lay off them in early counts by focusing on a specific spot in the zone and at least try to combat it. Moving off the plate and a bit up in the batters box would definitely aid in going the opposite way. I'm not advocating for this every AB, but picking spots to at least try being David Eckstein within at bats has more upside than downside with how the offense is going - for both teams - right now.

The notion that a .300 hitter just randomly gets 3 hits out of every 10 ABs regardless of circumstances is something only a non athlete could agree.

So, are you saying that some .300 hitters consistently get hits year after year at more crucial times than other .300 hitters? There is lots of research and analysis that suggests that this is not true, but ok. I use to be a huge believer in clutch performances and I still do believe that perhaps there are short periods of time when a player can have a stretch of clutch performances (see David Freese - 2011), but I no longer believe that some athletes are consistently more clutch than others, at least not in baseball. The numbers just don't lie.

I bet you the only change to the line up are Kratz and Shaw instead of Schoop.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived