Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-17 (NLCS Game #5): Brewers (Miley) at Dodgers (Kershaw) 4:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-2]

Eye Black
Hope you are right. But this mornings game seems like it will be the focal point of some Dodgers special release championship DVD.

Wow man ... I know you are down after game 4, but geez. Can you please lighten up on the pessimism? The series is tied 2-2.

I don't see a lot of reason for optimism at that moment. It is tied 2-2 and really should be a 4-0 sweep or at worst 3-1. We threw every arm in a 13 inning loss and wasted a brilliant performance from Guerra who now cannot be used today if needed, along with Peralta, Hader and you'd have to think Knebel.

Our offense was flat-out embarrassing and now has to face three studs with one loss to give. I'd rather drop an 8-2 fart than do what we did last night. This series has been immensely frustrating to watch. If we lose it, I'm not going to have that "Aw shucks, heck of a season, boys!" attitude. I'll spend all winter thinking about how we really should have won it. That is the difference.

Last night was anemic but I am really getting sick of watching Aguilar hack with 2 strikes. Feels like I am watching a gif loop.

Well Guerra and Peralta have been in mothballs for the most part since the start of the NLDS, so that really isn't a huge negative. They were both phenomenal last night, though. That was great to see. I agree that Hader is likely down, but Knebel has one of those late inning reliever rubber arms, and 18 pitches isn't a huge workload for him. If they need him today, I'm sure he'll be there.

I will say that the pessimistic part of me agrees with a lot of what you are saying, though. It just sucks to see that you've lost so much hope that you are willing to write a post declaring the season over. All of us have pessimistic thoughts. It's part of being a fan. I hope I don't get to the point you're at.

They gotta figure out something on offense. All year this offense has run through Cain and Yelich, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that runs are hard to come by considering how bad they've been.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers have a long history of being very good against Kershaw, but most of that history was when they were much better against LHP's in general. That's not really the case this year, but Kershaw isn't great in the playoffs either. Miley has been good for a while now. The Brewers cashed in their "long relief in the pen" advantage without getting the W, but Dodgers used a lot of relievers too. That said, the Brewers rely heavily on their bullpen advantage, so it hurts them more than the Dodgers if a lot of relievers aren't available. I'd give the Dodgers the edge, but I think Miley gives us a chance.

I am so happy it is a 4pm start today. I don't know if I could do another 1:30-2am bed time.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Brewers have a long history of being very good against Kershaw, but most of that history was when they were much better against LHP's in general. That's not really the case this year, but Kershaw isn't great in the playoffs either. Miley has been good for a while now. The Brewers cashed in their "long relief in the pen" advantage without getting the W, but Dodgers used a lot of relievers too. That said, the Brewers rely heavily on their bullpen advantage, so it hurts them more than the Dodgers if a lot of relievers aren't available. I'd give the Dodgers the edge, but I think Miley gives us a chance.

Woodruff is also ready to roll, and I expect him to take the middle innings. It is also likely a multi-inning pitcher will be activated to take Gonzalez's spot. While the pen availability isn't ideal, I think they are fine.

I don't see us coming back 10 hours after that debacle to beat the best pitcher in baseball for the second time in 5 days. This team has been as resilient as any, but that is asking for something pretty magical.

We got it man, you think we are going to lose the next two games.

I don't see us coming back 10 hours after that debacle to beat the best pitcher in baseball for the second time in 5 days. This team has been as resilient as any, but that is asking for something pretty magical.

I do. And I am free to say that as much as I want. This isn't the optimism thread.

After seeing Yelich and Shaw’s comments about Machado (and reading about Yelich’s additional “off-camera” comment), I for some reason actually feel a little better about the Brewers chances today.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

After seeing Yelich and Shaw’s comments about Machado (and reading about Yelich’s additional “off-camera” comment), I for some reason actually feel a little better about the Brewers chances today.

What did he allegedly say off-camera?

Can't find anything on it.

I really like our chances for a few reasons. This offense will get some things going and soon - Cain had a tough luck liner, Yelich is getting on base, Braun is fine. If those 3 can work in tandem in an inning or two, then we have some crooked numbers on the board. Our pitching is on such a roll and it will continue. Third, I believe the motivational edge is with Milwaukee now in light of how hungry they are and couple that with the Machado incidents we may have an added dimension of competitive fire(if that is even possible). No doubt in my mind that we come home and take game 6 with Chacin on the hill. That leaves game 5 and game 7 - pick up one of those and we will be hosting WS games next weekend for 3 straight days.

Warning, not safe for work: Link.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I do. And I am free to say that as much as I want. This isn't the optimism thread.

Sure, but you could make it not seem likes god miracle for us to win when that is pretty far from the truth. You talk about Kershaw being the best pitcher in baseball, which really he isn't, but fail to mention how we just rocked him a few days ago and he has a history of being a turd in the postseason.

I get being a little less than optimistic going into today. If I was betting I would probably pick the Dodgers today, but man I don't think we are just laying down for them today.

Warning, not safe for work: Link.

Love the emotion. Now, let your game do the talking boys.

That we rocked him already makes me feel less confident it is going to happen again. Although if he had gone 9IP 0ER I would probably think he is going to do that again.

I am annoyed that our bullpen has done what it's done all year to perfection and our offense has not picked them up at all. Not just that, but it has been our big money bats that let us down while Arcia is getting on base and Pina is lacing doubles. Last night was completely maddening. I'm not exaggerating when I say that was the most annoying game I have seen the Brewers play, definitely in large part due to the stakes, but it was terrible. We got someone on almost every inning and farted it away time after time.

That we rocked him already makes me feel less confident it is going to happen again. Although if he had gone 9IP 0ER I would probably think he is going to do that again.

uhhh... what?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

uhhh... what?

What is hard to get there? I feel it is unlikely to rock someone that good in twice 5 days but I am acknowledging the bias that if he had been shut down I would probably expect him to do it again.

uhhh... what?

Basically he isn't optimistic regardless. haha

I found no correalation between home/road and his implosions. They happen either or. I will say he doesn't usually have two huge blow ups in a row...but also doesn't necessarily have huge success after one either.

The key is getting ahead in counts. He gets smashed when he is behind in a count and is unhittable ahead in the count.

Woodruff is also ready to roll, and I expect him to take the middle innings. It is also likely a multi-inning pitcher will be activated to take Gonzalez's spot. While the pen availability isn't ideal, I think they are fine.

I too believe the pen is fine even moving forward the rest of the series. The arms are set up nicely as long as they continue to execute the game plan. Look forward to JJ on the mound this evening in the bottom of the 9th with runners on and he slams the door.

uhhh... what?

Basically he isn't optimistic regardless. haha

Because Kershaw was bad on Friday, he's going to be lights out today. But if Kershaw had been lights out on Friday, he's going to be lights out today.

It's the MLB version of the Da Vinci Code LOL

Archived