Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-17 (NLCS Game #5): Brewers (Miley) at Dodgers (Kershaw) 4:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There's some desperation to the strategy, but it's really our only hope. We probably couldn't win this series with a traditional approach.

Can't really argue with the results so far. Dodgers have the best offense in the NL and they've been totally neutralized.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Any chance that they roll Miley out for one hitter or one inning, then go to Woodruff (3 innings) and Davies (3-4 innings)? That way they could bring Miley back for Game 7. It would also cause the Dodgers to start their right-handed hitters against Miley, then swap them for the power left-handed guys, weakening the bench. That would be a ballsy manager move.

Nailed it.

It feels like whoever wins this game will win the series, and I’m not liking how this game feels right now.

I feel much better that we have our best (only) starters and a rested pen at home to close it out. If this doesn't go well, I don't like going into it having lost all momentum and needing to beat Ryu and Buehler.

I assume that Miley will start game 6 too. Love this move if that is the case. Screw with the Dodgers starting lineup!

They started almost all their lefties anyways.

Had we started Woodruff there is no way Freese would be batting third--and we took advantage of that.

It would be nice to stop first pitch swinging and string some hits together

[sarcasm]How do you string hits together if you don’t swing at the first pitch?[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Any chance that they roll Miley out for one hitter or one inning, then go to Woodruff (3 innings) and Davies (3-4 innings)? That way they could bring Miley back for Game 7. It would also cause the Dodgers to start their right-handed hitters against Miley, then swap them for the power left-handed guys, weakening the bench. That would be a ballsy manager move.

Nailed it.

Except Roberts saw right through it, and started his lefty mashers anyway...I mean no matter how long Miley went, Roberts knew CC had no choice but to bring in a righty afterwards...so he started his lefties, was willing ti live with the results of the 1-2 AB's they were going to have against Miley, and then still has them in the game when CC went to a righty. Actually brilliant from Roberts, and I'm surprised he waited this long in the series to do it.

Except Roberts saw right through it, and started his lefty mashers anyway...I mean no matter how long Miley went, Roberts knew CC had no choice but to bring in a righty afterwards...so he started his lefties, was willing ti live with the results of the 1-2 AB's they were going to have against Miley, and then still has them in the game when CC went to a righty. Actually brilliant from Roberts, and I'm surprised he waited this long in the series to do it.

I'm not convinced he saw through it. I think he just decided he needs to play his best players and stop playing right into the Brewers' hands. The Brewers have the advantage of lots of interchangeable parts but it's not as much of an advantage if the Dodgers don't play along. So that could be an explanation too, and I think that's the way they should have approached this series all along.

I bet Kershaw tries to make a point against Woodruff in this inning.

Archived