Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-16 (NLCS Game #4): Brewers (González) at Dodgers (Hill) 8:09 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 2-1 -- 13 Innings]

Eye Black
I hate the Fox crew criticizing CC every chance they get. Yes we have done it too but like last night with JJ we get nervous when things don't go smoothly. That's what fans want, a win every time out. We come to this board to be happy together and to complain together.

Go Brewers and get us another win tonight.

I actually come to this board for packers and dancing with the stars updates...

I hear you on the Packer updates but the other not so much.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't remotely see how playing Hader was controversial. If it was 3-0 people wouldn't question due to traditional Save opps, but 1 more run then it's crazy? LAD offense is potent, moreover he was already warmed up when it was 2-0. IMO the time to get greedy could've been to see if Soria could go that whole inning with Hader ready if he gave up a runner. Then re-assess the 9th after. To me the only discussion point was what to do after Hader was already in, let him just ice it himself or get greedy to save him for today. I see both sides of it and don't think there is a clear answer or at least a "the other side is a moron" type answer. I would've just let him finish but it worked out, so hopefully they win today.

I see it, but sort of relented after he came in. The weird thing is, the guys I was talking to were most upset that he was taken out for the 9th, but also arguing "what if we need him tomorrow!" The only reason he is possibly available today is because he was taken out.

As an aside, Counsell has been named co-manager of the year by Sporting News.

I don't remotely see how playing Hader was controversial. If it was 3-0 people wouldn't question due to traditional Save opps, but 1 more run then it's crazy? LAD offense is potent, moreover he was already warmed up when it was 2-0. IMO the time to get greedy could've been to see if Soria could go that whole inning with Hader ready if he gave up a runner. Then re-assess the 9th after. To me the only discussion point was what to do after Hader was already in, let him just ice it himself or get greedy to save him for today. I see both sides of it and don't think there is a clear answer or at least a "the other side is a moron" type answer. I would've just let him finish but it worked out, so hopefully they win today.

I see it, but sort of relented after he came in. The weird thing is, the guys I was talking to were most upset that he was taken out for the 9th, but also arguing "what if we need him tomorrow!" The only reason he is possibly available today is because he was taken out.

That pretty much describes Brewers Twitter in a nutshell.

I'm totally fine with second guessing the manager, and have done it too this season. But right now the moves he's making are working, so that second guessing is getting tougher to do.

I could've phrased differently or more clearly. Yes, it could've been an option to not pitch him in the 8th there and see what happens, like the Soria situation I mentioned. However, how can anyone claim it's absolutely stupid, horrible, moronic, or controversial? It was easily the clearest/safest path. Bringing him in was the "by the book" move so to speak. Up by 6 or 7, yea I get it then. But you're only up 4 vs the heart of a loaded lineup, which is essentially the same as up 3 vs most teams plus high stakes here obviously. The alternative moves were the controversial/risky ones, not just going with him to face two lefties or make them yank lefties and empty their bench. The yanking him once in was the controversial move. Putting him in initially was by the easiest and simplest solution to the problem/situation.

Most fans coach any game in any sport like they are playing Madden. You need to save Hader for a game tomorrow that may be 10-0 instead of right now. I personally would have preferred bringing Hader in once somebody got on, but who is to say 2 guys don't get on and then he comes in serves up a meatball? It worked so I am happy to admit he probably knows better than I do.

living in TN now... turning on ESPN radio last night late evening was amazing. Talking about the Milwaukee Brewers being up 2-1 in the NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES. That coupled with Rodgers/Crosby redemption... it was really surreal to hear all that in one sitting... What an amazing night. Lets finish the Dodgers tonight and tomorrow. They are down on themselves, in their own heads, the fans there (as i always sort of thought) don't really much care. It's like a Lakers game - people go to people watch and say they were a row down from so and so.... I am so glad for the Brewers small town... true fandom. It really is awesome. It's how it is down here with the Nashville Predators. HUGE support and you wouldn't expect it from a smaller market in the mid south... just like the Brewers in a small market in the northern/midwest. Makes it that much sweeter the position we find us right now. Cherish this as we know it doesn't come along all the time!

I still say Brewers in 6! LETS GOOOO!

I've heard like 5 theories as to why Hader played and I think they are nonsense. One person claimed CC caved to postseason pressure, whatever that means. Or that he was warm so he had to come in. I think it's more likely he already decided in that exact scenario that Hader was going to play. I don't think CC is out there just winging it.

Based on what Counsell said (and just general logic), the Hader strategy last night was to ride the line between playing for one game and playing for the series.

Playing for one game: Hader comes in with the game still fairly close, locks down another scoreless inning. One thing people are ignoring is that Counsell said that by putting in Hader, he got Muncy and Pederson out of the game. Now if their spots come around again (which would be bad, obviously, but it could happen), there are righties - Kemp and Freese - against the other righty relievers (and those two hitters aren't as dangerous as the ones they replaced).

Playing for the series: Hader exits after two hitters. Now he's available today and/or tomorrow. 4-0 lead, even with JJ's shakiness, he should be trusted to not give up the lead. Plus, JJ appreciates the confidence Counsell is showing in him, which may help later (or may not matter, who knows).

It was a sound strategy and just because JJ made things interesting, doesn't mean it didn't work. And even if JJ isn't available today, Counsell knows there are a ton of arms that are.

I saw Marlins Man in the stands last night, wonder if he brought his ridiculous puppets to LA?

He was sitting right next to Front Row Amy on Friday.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I saw Marlins Man in the stands last night, wonder if he brought his ridiculous puppets to LA?

...and Saturday too, with his puppets.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Someone has been buying a set of 4 seats in section 117 row 1 for all these playoff games for about 1400-1800 apiece on SH, I have to assume it is Marlins Man. I suppose it's possible it's a different person buying them each time...we'll see if a game 6 and/or 7 happen.

Most fans coach any game in any sport like they are playing Madden. You need to save Hader for a game tomorrow that may be 10-0 instead of right now. I personally would have preferred bringing Hader in once somebody got on, but who is to say 2 guys don't get on and then he comes in serves up a meatball? It worked so I am happy to admit he probably knows better than I do.

Sounds like you're coming around on the Hader decision. Only one question remains. Would you still take Oliver Drake over Jeffress?

Sounds like you're coming around on the Hader decision. Only one question remains. Would you still take Oliver Drake over Jeffress?

That was coolhandluke who said that. Pretty sure he is sticking to his guns on it, too.

Someone has been buying a set of 4 seats in section 117 row 1 for all these playoff games for about 1400-1800 apiece on SH, I have to assume it is Marlins Man. I suppose it's possible it's a different person buying them each time...we'll see if a game 6 and/or 7 happen.

I was a few sections over Friday and met him. Was friendly and talked with anyone who wanted, took pics with anyone. For those not familiar, this isn't all a big look at me I'm rich thing. Sure, it's part of it at this point but behind it all it's a charity general positivity thing. Often buying lots of tickets and giving them away to various groups/causes usually police, fire, first responders, teachers, type of things. Sometimes just goes to the upper decks and gives people up there good seats, things like that.

That was coolhandluke who said that. Pretty sure he is sticking to his guns on it, too.

That's right, sorry OldSchool. I expected Villar's name to pop up in the post-season IGTs but never Drake.

To be fair, Bellinger was going to bat that inning. Gotta play the Drake versus the lefty matchup.

My only issue with using Hader was that I assumed he was finishing the game and therefore would be unavailable today and likely tomorrow. I incorrectly assumed they were going to bail on JJ for a night. I didn't think and still don't think that would have been a wise choice in a 4-0 game.

That didn't happen though. My bigger gripe was pulling Soria. But we won and now everyone but JJ should be available if needed, so who cares?

I have a funny feeling that Counsell is going to give Schoop a start at 2B.

0-8 with 4 ks against Hill. One of very very few guys with bad numbers against him...yeah I would sure hope they see that and don't start him.

Your funny feeling is right...why not start the guy 0-8 against Hill career.......

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Aguilar

Moustakas

Schoop

Pina

Arcia

Community Moderator
Friend in LA said he is going tonight for $60. A Brewers fan. Tells me nobody really cares until World Series. This is old hat.

6 straight divisional titles will do that.

Same thing happened in Atlanta in the early 2000s. They often had 10,000-15,000 empty seats in the divisional round.

Archived