Brewer Fanatic

If a packer game falls in the forest and nobody watches it, does it make a sound?

young guns
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There was a Packers game on today? Was going to watch it tomorrow but clicked on this thread instead. Guess I won't be wasting my time watching it.

I watch it anyway. NFL replay condensed in 40 min. And the ending was worth it!

For as bad as GB has played this year they are 1/2 game behind 1st place Bears.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

For as bad as GB has played this year they are 1/2 game behind 1st place Bears.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I was AT the Packers game, listening to the Brewers game on the radio. Honestly, I feel like it may have been better listening to Ueck call the bottom of the 9th than watching the walk to load the bases.

Oddly wasn't that anxious about the Packers game, even though they were behind most of the second half. I don't have high hopes about this Packers team; barring a lot of WRs recovering and Defenders other than Clark and Martinez stepping up against the run, it's tough to see this club making a playoff run. (Rodgers is covering for a lot of this team's warts.)

After seeing King's pick play out right in front of me, I'm now forced to wonder if it's Brice that's getting beaten on all of the deep balls to his side of the zone, or if the underneath corner needs to be the one making those plays. For all of MM's comments about reviewing tape and "fixing" things, the defense continues to get beat by the same pass pattern and coverage, regardless of the quality of the QB making the throw.

This is not a good team. Brett Favre took over for Don Majkowski when I was in the first grade. Since then, it’s been my expectation that the Packers compete for a Super Bowl every year. It’s probably time to adjust those expectations and enjoy each game one at a time. I don’t think the Packers are that far away from elite status. One good draft class in 2019 could vault them back into contention (like the Saints in 2017). They’ll have the draft capital to make that possible next Spring, but right now, they just don’t have the horses.

This is not a good team. One good draft class in 2019 could vault them back into contention.

Those two things don't add up. I agree this is a bad team, but they need more than one good draft class. They also need goo FA signings next year, and hope a couple current young players turn into studs.

All that can happen, in the NFL these days a team can take massive steps forward or back in a year. I have zero faith though as long as McCarthy is still around.

This is not a good team. One good draft class in 2019 could vault them back into contention.

Those two things don't add up. I agree this is a bad team, but they need more than one good draft class. They also need goo FA signings next year, and hope a couple current young players turn into studs.

All that can happen, in the NFL these days a team can take massive steps forward or back in a year. I have zero faith though as long as McCarthy is still around.

The Packers will probably have 3 picks in the Top 50. Adding 3 immediate starters is a realistic possibility. You don’t think upgrading 3 positions would lead to extra wins? Don’t get me wrong - it very well may not if they continue to draft poorly, but I’m still optimistic.

nodakfan17 you nailed it. Poor drafting has killed this team more than anything. Ted Thompson has screwed the pooch. Hopefully our new GM can right the ship in this department. McCarthy is a fine coach. Lack of quality players up and down this roster is much, much more of a concern.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thank you, but let’s not forget that Ted Thompson built a Super Bowl championship roster from scratch and almost entirely through the draft. There is no taking that away from him and he has my eternal respect. That being said, his last 5 years at the helm were awful.

Yeah, I give him credit for all of that. My thoughts were of the recent years. He fell asleep at the wheel.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is just conjecture, but do you think Ted’s performance as GM post XLV was dementia-related? His speech really deteriorated during his tenure as GM and 10 years as an NFL linebacker probably didn’t help the situation.

It wouldn't shock me. But it did surprise me to see them basically give him a higher up role with a "new" GM. I mean he butchered the last few drafts after nailing them to start his time in GB so like I said, it wouldn't shock me.

This is just conjecture, but do you think Ted’s performance as GM post XLV was dementia-related? His speech really deteriorated during his tenure as GM and 10 years as an NFL linebacker probably didn’t help the situation.

I heard he was falling asleep at meetings.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If the dementia theory were true, I’d put the blame on Mark Murphy. The defense has been broken for 8 years and, to me, that constitutes an organizational failure. They’ve had to throw so many picks at the defense that the offense has started to erode. If others in the organization had spotted signs of dementia, they should have given Thompson a gold watch and a ‘senior personnel advisor’ title a long time ago. Meanwhile, look at all the personnel evaluation talent that has gone out the door in that time - Dorsey, McKenzie, Schneider, Wolf, etc. Again, all conjecture, but Mark Murphy should not be immune from criticism.

This is not a good team. Brett Favre took over for Don Majkowski when I was in the first grade. Since then, it’s been my expectation that the Packers compete for a Super Bowl every year. It’s probably time to adjust those expectations and enjoy each game one at a time. I don’t think the Packers are that far away from elite status. One good draft class in 2019 could vault them back into contention (like the Saints in 2017). They’ll have the draft capital to make that possible next Spring, but right now, they just don’t have the horses.

Maybe they should go out on a limb for once in their lives and trade for David Johnson (and then use him more than 15 snaps a game). Clearly the Cardinals give Zero blanks about actually using the man for what he's good at doing.

I heard he was falling asleep at meetings.

Does this look like a guy who would fall asleep at meetings?

giphy.gif

Archived