Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-15 (NLCS Game #3): Brewers (Chacín) at Dodgers (Buehler) 6:39 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-0 -- Chacín w/ 5.1 IP, 3 Hits, 0 Runs, 6 Ks; Arcia Goes Deep Again]

Eye Black
How could Counsell be so smart so much of the time and do something so profoundly stupid now? This makes Yost look like a genius. OLIVE DRAKE WOULD BE A BETTER OPTION RIGHT NOW.

Holy overreaction Batman! You have been pretty high and mighty with your criticisms tonight, and this staff just pitched a shutout in Dodger Stadium.

Not backing down from that one. He's been awful. You just expect opponents to score 2-3 runs against him every single time out. You feel lucky every time it's just 2! It's really the Drake/Feliz feeling every time out at this point.

Take a sedative dude.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chacin is an Ace.

For all the mockery of our starting rotation, if you take the career peaks of Gio, Miley, and Chacin, that is a very solid starting three. They are all pitching like their peak selves right now. (With the caveat that Miley is a different type of pitcher than at his previous peak)

And it's not just nervous Brewer fans who wonder what in the heck was going on there.

It was a manager showing extreme faith in his guy. That means something. I'm guessing Jeremy is feeling great, and would be willing to run through a brick wall for Counsell right now.

He could have run through a brick wall tomorrow then. This isn't how they got here. They don't go on all this gut instinct, player's manager stuff. They got Hader loose and he was throwing really hard out there; you gotta get more batters out of him to maximize his value. And if they have so much damn faith in JJ, why isn't he the one they're saving for tomorrow? Now both of them are kind of precarious tomorrow. Hader is not wired for consecutive short outings and JJ has 60 pitches this series. It was an incredibly stubborn move from Counsell.

To me it's not so much out of not trusting JJ. It was about usage. He's been worked a lot this year, threw a ton of pitches in the first games, maybe that's contributing to him being a bit off. Could've got him 2 days off. Also, with 3 games in a row, that would mean he could more easily go in both games 4 and 5. If he goes tomorrow he really can't Wednesday. That also applies to Hader. So while I know this was all about Hader being available tomorrow, it might've hurt you elsewhere.

Oh well, it worked and now Hader is available tomorrow. Get the W tomorrow and you're almost a lock to win.

Also, Rodgers is very good at football

I'm not saying JJ had a good outing, but he gave up hits tonight to Justin Turner and Manny Machado. There are some guys you aren't going to get out 100% of the time even when firing on all cylinders.

Holy overreaction Batman! You have been pretty high and mighty with your criticisms tonight, and this staff just pitched a shutout in Dodger Stadium.

Not backing down from that one. He's been awful. You just expect opponents to score 2-3 runs against him every single time out. You feel lucky every time it's just 2! It's really the Drake/Feliz feeling every time out at this point.

Take a sedative dude.

How long does a guy have to average 4+ base-runners per inning before you're allowed to stop trusting him, seriously? How bad was Drake's WHIP or Feliz's when they bombed completely?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How long does a guy have to average 4+ base-runners per inning before you're allowed to stop trusting him, seriously? How bad was Drake's WHIP or Feliz's when they bombed completely?

As recently as September the guy was en fuego. Had a 0.00 era for the month. Brewers need him to find it again. I don't think they can win this series if they decide to bench him when they are up four runs.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

To me it's not so much out of not trusting JJ. It was about usage. He's been worked a lot this year, threw a ton of pitches in the first games, maybe that's contributing to him being a bit off. Could've got him 2 days off. Also, with 3 games in a row, that would mean he could more easily go in both games 4 and 5. If he goes tomorrow he really can't Wednesday. That also applies to Hader. So while I know this was all about Hader being available tomorrow, it might've hurt you elsewhere.

Oh well, it worked and now Hader is available tomorrow. Get the W tomorrow and you're almost a lock to win.

Also, Rodgers is very good at football

I doubled down and watched the ending of the Packer game. Now I won't sleep.. for a long time. Double adrenaline.

To me it's not so much out of not trusting JJ. It was about usage.

I agree about usage and I've also said I don't want to bench him completely, but they gotta stop forcing him out there. Trust has to be wavering somewhat though. He might recover if they stop acting like he's Mariano Rivera, but it's like they're insisting that this isn't actually happening to him. IT IS.

Almost 80 games and over 80 innings this year now. If they value him so much, why not just save him for tomorrow? They still seem to trust him as much as Hader, so why aren't they saving him too? 60 pitches this series now.

You are really underestimating how important Jeffress, and his success, is to this team's success. If he isn't this team's most important player, he is in the top 3. If he is bad, the Brewers are going to lose. It is in this team's best interest to get him right. Like it or not, or throw out some stat about how lucky he is, it doesn't matter. It is obvious this team is rolling with him.

More than 2 games. Especially when 2+ hits in each game were weak contact found a hole type of hits.

Does JJ come in a 1 run game? I don't know. I doubt it. 4 run game was a perfect situation.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

As recently as September the guy was en fuego. Had a 0.00 era for the month. Brewers need him to find it again. I don't think they can win this series if they decide to bench him when they are up four runs.

I still haven't suggested actually benching him. I've said many times they're using him too much and that's a factor in his struggles. Give him 2 days rest and hope he's right tomorrow. Give someone else a little work.

I still haven't suggested actually benching him. I've said many times they're using him too much and that's a factor in his struggles. Give him 2 days rest and hope he's right tomorrow. Give someone else a little work.

Fair enough.

You are really underestimating how important Jeffress, and his success, is to this team's success. If he isn't this team's most important player, he is in the top 3. If he is bad, the Brewers are going to lose. It is in this team's best interest to get him right. Like it or not, or throw out some stat about how lucky he is, it doesn't matter. It is obvious this team is rolling with him.

"Stop trusting him" was an exaggeration but they are being real stubborn by forcing him out there with less than optimal rest when he's laboring so much. I know they have to rely on him sometimes but for god's sake trust someone else instead of using him so much. And at least give them a different look because they're clearly seeing his stuff well. It seems he's facing some of the same guys every time. That doesn't make any sense.

How could Counsell be so smart so much of the time and do something so profoundly stupid now? This makes Yost look like a genius. OLIVE DRAKE WOULD BE A BETTER OPTION RIGHT NOW.

Yep. Never suggested. Not in the least.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

One thing I don't think can be understated here is Kratz in the 9th. I'm not sure JJ gets it done without him. Multiple mound visits, but man I think those visits went a long way in helping JJ get out of that mess. I don't mean to take away from JJ, he executed and got the job done...but Kratz deserves a significant amount of credit for helping him through...in my opinion.

One thing I don't think can be understated here is Kratz in the 9th. I'm not sure JJ gets it done without him. Multiple mound visits, but man I think those visits went a long way in helping JJ get out of that mess. I don't mean to take away from JJ, he executed and got the job done...but Kratz deserves a significant amount of credit for helping him through...in my opinion.

MVP! Can’t wait to see him hoist the trophy.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why is JJ sill pitching? The guy is a mental midget in high stress situations.

Come on, man. Not cool.

Too harsh of a comment, sure.

Yet, pitching Jeffress late without a net of Hader or Knebel is very questionable now. He needs to pitch a 6th inning for us or come in for a third of an inning.....

Yep. Never suggested. Not in the least.

Please explain how that contradicts what I'm saying about him needing more rest. It was a stubborn, forced move by CC and he nearly had an all-time Bill Buckner of managers moment there.

Archived