Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-15 (NLCS Game #3): Brewers (Chacín) at Dodgers (Buehler) 6:39 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-0 -- Chacín w/ 5.1 IP, 3 Hits, 0 Runs, 6 Ks; Arcia Goes Deep Again]

Eye Black
Did people watch the rest of our bullpen in game 1 and 2? That move makes a ton of sense. Didn't allow baserunners for the heart of the order. Now those guys are coming up in the 9th with not a lot going on. This may not be a must win but it is pretty darn close.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Puig also has reverse splits so you would rather a lefty face him. This seems like the most standard move ever. Get the road win, force the series back to Milwaukee and hope that he keeps his pitch count down enough he can pitch in game 5. Given the fact Soria and Knebel are already used and how terrible Jeffress has looked I really don't get who you want out there right now if its not Hader.

Puig also has reverse splits so you would rather a lefty face him. This seems like the most standard move ever. Get the road win, force the series back to Milwaukee and hope that he keeps his pitch count down enough he can pitch in game 5.

Agree. I think everyone is overthinking this. Take your W. Sure you could've got creative, but often times the simplest solution is the best one.

We have to trust some of our other guys to allow less than 4 runs in 1 inning. Pull Hader, 8 pitches should round down to 0

[sarcasm]At this point I would trust Albers to finish this thing off.[/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, I would be fine with anyone but Hader pitching the 9th inning.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Honestly, all this discussion about when Hader pitches/doesn't pitch...doesn't do the rest of this bullpen justice to how good they are. If Hader pitches the 9th they'd have literally everyone else available tomorrow while being up 2-1 - nothing at all wrong with that strategy.

Now that he got loose and is dealing, unless his spot in the order comes up or the Brewers score a few let him finish and step on their necks tonight.

Hader will never pitch back to back games. There are two options here:

1) Let him pitch now to lock up this game, and be available for game 5.

2) Let someone else finish this game, then have Hader available for either game 4 OR 5. Not both.

There are reasonable arguments for each, I have zero problem with this.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Given the Dodgers almost tied game 1 I'm not sure how we didn't need to use him in Game 1. Basically the entire bullpen is available tomorrow, so you have a ton of options to try and prevent big innings without Hader. Perhaps the crazier thing is how close this series is to the Brewers being up 3-0

2) Let someone else finish this game, then have Hader available for either game 4 OR 5. Not both.

Hader has pitched back to back numerous times this year. It simply isn't true that he can't do it. It may not be the preference, but he has, and I imagine he will this postseason if it is needed and Day 1 is light work.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can someone just let me know how the series turns out, since it seems to be a foregone conclusion that we have a late lead both tomorrow and Wednesday in ideal situations for Hader to pitch?

Brewers win World Series. Woodruff hits 2 HR and wins MVP

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Regardless of what Counsell did there he was going to be second guessed.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hader has pitched back to back and will again in the playoffs if needed.

Those righties really had an advantage against Hader.

He meant it would give the Brewers' RHP relievers a big advantage later on if Hader was in their first and LAD ph'ed for their LHB's earlier. If that's what you're referring to.

That was to whoever said that he struggles against RHB or something like that.

Archived