Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-15 (NLCS Game #3): Brewers (Chacín) at Dodgers (Buehler) 6:39 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-0 -- Chacín w/ 5.1 IP, 3 Hits, 0 Runs, 6 Ks; Arcia Goes Deep Again]

Eye Black
While it is nice to have some breathing room here, this Dodgers lineup is so good, I don't know if any lead would feel safe.

Yep. In almost every game in the regular season, a 4 run lead in the 7th, you're feeling good.

We're up 4-0 in the 7th. I'm nervous.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
98 becomes easier to hit the more chances you get to see it.

When you've seen it a 3rd time around...and also when it ticks down to 95-96 and is straight as a string.

And when you've got a better read out of the hand of the pitcher's other offerings. There's much that goes into why pitchers often drop off precipitously as they go repeated times through. Even some of the guys with the most dominant stuff suffer from it. Buehler actually was one who typically holds up well. But hey, its the playoffs.

While it is nice to have some breathing room here, this Dodgers lineup is so good, I don't know if any lead would feel safe.

True, but the issue is that putting a really good reliever in there for an extra inning doesn't necessarily make it any safer. They can do it pretty effectively, but I don't think that's how they're wired. I'm willing to bet their stats suffer a lot in the 2nd inning of work, unless they're an established long reliever.

Only because he's not usually a multi-inning reliever, and not using him for another inning keeps him fresh for tomorrow.

Agreed. I would add that you have to start trusting some other guys too. They need work, they've been pretty solid, and it's better to use them in the right situation (when your best guys arguably would benefit from a little rest) than wait until you have no choice.

Who though? Soria has been up and down. Burnes was great before his poor outing Saturday. Guerra has been superb, but they don't seem to want to use him in high leverage spots. Cedeno has been iffy. There is no way they throw Peralta out there unless it's a 5-6 run lead I think.

The announcers sound so disappointed every time the Brewers do something good. Smoltz is so invested in this Brewers use the bullpen too much that he is going to live or die on the concept. I guess 11 IP of 0 ER isn't good enough for him in 2 games.

Smoltz is 5x more annoying than Buck.

4-0 with 8 outs to go is not anywhere in the vicinity of safe.

Nope, and in the NLCS I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable leading less than double digits...and that likely will never happen in a CS.

The announcers sound so disappointed every time the Brewers do something good. Smoltz is so invested in this Brewers use the bullpen too much that he is going to live or die on the concept. I guess 11 IP of 0 ER isn't good enough for him in 2 games.

Funny, a lot of people were saying that last night here in Houston about the TBS crew that they were pro Red Sox. I laughed, because I know that BA wouldn't do that. All about inference, I guess.

True, but the issue is that putting a really good reliever in there for an extra inning doesn't necessarily make it any safer. They can do it pretty effectively, but I don't think that's how they're wired. I'm willing to bet their stats suffer a lot in the 2nd inning of work, unless they're an established long reliever.

I think the number of pitches comes into play.

Knebel's at 16. If he's below 20, he's available for tomorrow, I'd think.

Smoltz is 5x more annoying than Buck.

To each their own. But I actually enjoy Smoltz.

Only because he's not usually a multi-inning reliever, and not using him for another inning keeps him fresh for tomorrow.

Agreed. I would add that you have to start trusting some other guys too. They need work, they've been pretty solid, and it's better to use them in the right situation (when your best guys arguably would benefit from a little rest) than wait until you have no choice.

Who though? Soria has been up and down. Burnes was great before his poor outing Saturday. Guerra has been superb, but they don't seem to want to use him in high leverage spots. Cedeno has been iffy. There is no way they throw Peralta out there unless it's a 5-6 run lead I think.

Any of those guys are fine options against the bottom of the order. I would definitely want a RH pitcher. At this point it's moot because they went with knebel.

Corey Knebel says Check and Mate!

I think the number of pitches comes into play.

Knebel's at 16. If he's below 20, he's available for tomorrow, I'd think.

Just sent taht to a buddy. 19 pitches, he can go tomorrow if needed.

Archived