Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-15 (NLCS Game #3): Brewers (Chacín) at Dodgers (Buehler) 6:39 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-0 -- Chacín w/ 5.1 IP, 3 Hits, 0 Runs, 6 Ks; Arcia Goes Deep Again]

Eye Black

HIvhZb9.jpg

HIvi9XY.jpg

[pre]Brewers Lineup Dodgers Lineup

1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF 1. Joc Pederson (L) LF

2. Christian Yelich (L) RF 2. Max Muncy (L) 1B

3. Ryan Braun ® LF 3. Justin Turner ® 3B

4. Travis Shaw (L) 2B 4. Manny Machado ® SS

5. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B 5. Cody Bellinger (L) CF

6. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B 6. Yasiel Puig ® RF

7. Erik Kratz ® C 7. Yasmani Grandal (S) C

8. Orlando Arcia ® SS 8. Enrique Hernández ® 2B

9. Jhoulys Chacín ® P 9. Walker Buehler ® P[/pre]

Link: Brewers Game Notes

TV Broadcast on FS1

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been real impressed with the ability of this team to come back when they face adversity. There have been plenty of times this season when fans and media said they couldn't win the division any longer and they did. Really looking forward to see how they play tonight.

I've made this clear already, but I don't feel good about where things are headed or this game in particular. Chacin can't throw a gem every time we ask. Fortunately my vibes are meaningless, but I think tonight is going to be ugly.

I agree that expecting near perfection from Chacin every time out is asking a lot. However, he also hasn't given us any reason not to expect it.

The key now is finding some offense. Scoring some runs would take a lot of pressure off of a pitching staff that feels obligated right now to go out and put up zeros. They need #2-3 in this lineup to wake up. Yelich and Braun are holding the keys to the World Series. If those two continue to scuffle, it's going to be ugly.

I know Chacin struggled mightily against the Dodgers, but he did similar against St Louis and bounced back a couple months later with a nice outing. Here's hoping. We really need Yelich to get it back going, especially against the RHP today. Beuhler doesn't have significant splits against RH vs LH, but I still can get behind going with Granderson over Braun and saving Braun for a PH later.

Granderson

Yelich

Cain

Shaw

Aguilar

Moustakas

Pina

Arcia

P

PH Braun for Granderson when they inevitablly bring in a LHP for Granderson.

I know Chacin struggled mightily against the Dodgers, but he did similar against St Louis and bounced back a couple months later with a nice outing. Here's hoping. We really need Yelich to get it back going, especially against the RHP today. Beuhler doesn't have significant splits against RH vs LH, but I still can get behind going with Granderson over Braun and saving Braun for a PH later.

Granderson

Yelich

Cain

Shaw

Aguilar

Moustakas

Pina

Arcia

P

PH Braun for Granderson when they inevitablly bring in a LHP for Granderson.

Pretty sure Kratz always catches Chacin. I'd also flip Cain and Yelich in your order in an effort to put Yelich in a better run-producing spot.

That said, I am 99% sure we'll see Braun in the lineup. Huge game, huge spot. He's going to want to be in there, and Counsell isn't going to mess with that.

Pretty sure Kratz always catches Chacin. I'd also flip Cain and Yelich in your order in an effort to put Yelich in a better run-producing spot.

That said, I am 99% sure we'll see Braun in the lineup. Huge game, huge spot. He's going to want to be in there, and Counsell isn't going to mess with that.

Usually when Braun is out, he goes Cain 3rd. I've thought Yelich should hit 3rd since early August but it hasn't happened yet. I should just put C in there as they are basically interchangeable, I don't pay enough attention to who catches who. Pina has significant reverse platoon splits, which is why I like him today. And yeah I suspect Braun will get in there, I just like the idea of giving Granderson a look and likely 3-4 PA. Braun will for sure be starting the next 2 games with Hill and then Kershaw on the mound, this is the only real chance to give Granderson a start until potential game 7.

I'd go:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Aguilar

Moustakas

Kratz

Arcia

Chacin

I'm assuming Braun starts every game.

This lineup would be my guess as well. Effectively splitting up the RH and LH hitters. That's the route they've gone lately against righties. I think Granderson is the first bat off the bench tonight.

No question that Buehler is a talented guy, but he wasn't great in his last post-season outing. 5 earned runs in 5 innings pitched. At one point he walked in a run and then gave up a grand slam. If the Brewers can get a guy on base early in an inning, and put Buehler in the stretch, then I think the offense will do just fine.

And I love the way Chacin has pitched recently. He had that rough patch in the middle of September but he's been excellent the last three times out. My biggest concern in this game is the last time he pitched was on the 5th. Rested pitchers are a good thing but that might be a little too much rest. Hopefully he'll come out sharp from the very first pitch.

Here are Chacin's stats against the Dodgers:

AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG

Cody Bellinger 12 5 0 1 2 5 2 4 .417 .500 1.083 1.583

Brian Dozier 7 1 0 0 0 0 1 2 .143 .250 .143 .393

David Freese 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .500 .667 .500 1.167

Yasmani Grandal19 2 0 0 1 2 4 4 .105 .250 .263 .513

Matt Kemp 42 9 2 0 3 9 4 10 .214 .283 .476 .759

Manny Machado 7 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 .143 .143 .143 .286

Max Muncy 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 .000 .000 .000 .000

Joc Pederson 13 3 0 0 2 6 2 0 .231 .353 .692 1.045

Yasiel Puig 24 8 1 0 1 2 2 4 .333 .385 .500 .885

Corey Seager 16 5 2 0 0 1 2 3 .313 .389 .438 .826

Chris Taylor 6 2 0 0 1 1 2 3 .333 .500 .833 1.333

Justin Turner 19 6 3 0 0 4 3 3 .316 .440 .474 .914

Totals 175 44 8 1 10 30 23 38 .251 .343 .480 .823

The pitching stats sure seem to favor the Dodgers tonight. You hope for 5 solid innings out of Chacin and turn this over to the bullpen. I would only throw Hader one inning tonight with a lead and hopefully keep him in the mix for game 5. We really need things to fall exactly right tonight to have a chance against Buehler.

The pitching stats sure seem to favor the Dodgers tonight. You hope for 5 solid innings out of Chacin and turn this over to the bullpen. I would only throw Hader one inning tonight with a lead and hopefully keep him in the mix for game 5. We really need things to fall exactly right tonight to have a chance against Buehler.

Buehler gave up 5 runs in 5 innings (walked in a run by walking the pitcher and gave up a granny) and walked 3 in his last start against the Braves - he's got good stuff but he's not flirting with perfect games every time he takes the hill. Play a good game and score more runs than the Dodgers.

This will be the 1st game where both the Dodgers and Brewers will presumably send out their lefty heavy lineups. I'd prefer Hader be used later in tonight's game so if he's dominating he can just finish it out, but depending on Chacin's performance it may make sense for Hader to come in first to try and get the Dodgers to burn alot of RH pinch hitters - then have the right handed back end of the Brewers pen finish the game off.

In reality, I'd prefer a solid 7 inning start by Chacin followed by Hader slamming the door - Game 3 is a huge swing game and the Brewers have their best starter this year going on prolonged rest, so there better be a great reason to pull him early aside from the Dodger lineup turning over a 3rd time tonight.

When did "must win" become a taboo phrase on these boards?

I feel every playoff game is a "must win", and I won't apologize for that. lol

This was gold. Love it! :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived