Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-13 (NLCS Game #2): Dodgers (Ryu) at Brewers (Miley) 3:09 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3 -- Miley in 5.2 IP allows 0 runs, 2 hits, 0 walks]

Eye Black
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand our bullpen is our strength, but why did we take out Miley? He'd given up two hits, didn't walk anybody, and had tossed only 74 pitches through 5 2/3.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

This game turned on Burnes's leadoff walk. No doubt about it. I think he had the rookie yips.

Walks and 0 for 5 with runners in scoring position today. Those are why we lost. You can't get by on magic forever. Sooner or later the little things have to be there.

Well, they had the right hitter up. Tough, tough loss. Let's get this thing back to Milwaukee. Or, you know, just sweep the three games in LA. I mentioned it yesterday, but this 2-3-2 stuff... oh, how I hate it. Give me 2-2-1-1-1 or 3-3-1. That's home field advantage.

That's a ton of travel for 3 games. If we can't win one single game in L.A to take the series back to Milwaukee we certainly are not a worthy World Series team.

I understand our bullpen is our strength, but why did we take out Miley? He'd given up two hits, didn't walk anybody, and had tossed only 74 pitches through 5 2/3.

I guess the idea was the first guy he saw 3x got a hit. But yeah. If it were the 1st game maybe.

Well, they had the right hitter up. Tough, tough loss. Let's get this thing back to Milwaukee. Or, you know, just sweep the three games in LA. I mentioned it yesterday, but this 2-3-2 stuff... oh, how I hate it. Give me 2-2-1-1-1 or 3-3-1. That's home field advantage.

That's a ton of travel for 3 games. If we can't win one single game in L.A to take the series back to Milwaukee we certainly are not a worthy World Series team.

I agree with you that if they can't win one of the three games in LA they certainly are not a WS team, I've just always hated that format. It doesn't feel like a home-field advantage at all.

I was fine with that. They want to start him Wednesday I assume, as they should. I have more problems with constantly acting like you have no bullpen depth, which is a self-fulfilling prophecy. You get a less effective version of your best relievers (even Hader gave up a lot of hard-hit balls in his 3rd inning yesterday) and then you get a less effective version of your other relievers because they're rusty. You are going to need most of the staff so just use them when your best guys have faced several batters or you have some other reason to believe their performance might suffer (for example, if they walk Austin friggin' Barnes with the bases loaded).

JJ has given up 11 hits in about 4 innings so far, he gave up 49 over 76 innings during the postseason. I'm not saying he is trash but we know he is a bit of a headcase and something isn't right with him right now.

Was pretty lucky this year with a .249 BABIP. Would have been decent anyway, but not the type of guy you gotta leave out there at all costs and act like he's prime Mariano Rivera.

I guess the idea was the first guy he saw 3x got a hit. But yeah. If it were the 1st game maybe.

The only thing I would really even kind of blame Counsell for is not allowing Miley even a little leeway. The guy just went through 18(?) straight, and the first hit he allows, he's gone. That's pretty tough. I know he wants to get to the Brewers' strength (or what had been the strength), but Miley allows one single and it's to the showers. I'd like him to show a little more confidence in him.

The only thing I would really even kind of blame Counsell for is not allowing Miley even a little leeway. The guy just went through 18(?) straight, and the first hit he allows, he's gone. That's pretty tough. I know he wants to get to the Brewers' strength (or what had been the strength), but Miley allows one single and it's to the showers. I'd like him to show a little more confidence in him.

I had no problem with making that move. Justin Turner was up and seeing him a third time and CC wanted him to go out on a positive note. The bullpen needed to do their job today and they didn't, specifically Burnes. If CC is to blame for anything it's running JJ out there for a second inning when going to a fresh arm like Guerra would've been the better option.

Managing it they way he did today is how they got to this point in the season. I'm not saying this in any degrading sort of way but you don't suddenly do a 180 now. It's worked at an incredibly high rate.

I really don't question the decision but it did feel like bad mojo, Miley was lights out and just had a hit and scored, everything was going so right. I knew he would be pulled soon though, can't argue sticking with what got you here.

Yeah I was fine with pulling Miley when they did. Like someone said it was how they got here.

Burnes simply didn't get the job done. Other guys too but going in expecting a couple innings out of Burnes and getting one loud out and a couple runs really started to unravel things.

Honestly, I feel okay with a split. It is going to take more than three runs to beat that Dodger lineup most nights, late lead or no.

The difference in the game is a Chris Taylor broken bat slow roller. Not really much you can do. You got your best pitcher going Monday with a rested pen behind him. It's a five game series now. Start another streak Monday!

This team has won so many close ones in the last month, they were going to drop one at some point. I think they respond well.

As disappointing as this was we were bound to lose sometime. This was our first loss a in 21 days. We rarely lose 2 in a row so all we have to do is take one of these games in LA. Yelich has been kinda quiet in this series so chances are he is going to snap out of it and it would great if he did it on Monday night.

Archived