Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-12 (NLCS Game #1): Dodgers (Kershaw) at Brewers (González) 7:09 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-5 -- Bullpen Survives; 12th Straight Win; Burgers for Everyone]

Eye Black
  • Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good Gameday chatter from Dodger fan's on Brewers bullpen via Twitter:

"Dodgers scored 21 runs in one game against this pitching staff. Obviously, the Brewers bullpen against the Dodgers is not that good."

"Didn’t the Dodgers own them this year? I know postseason is different and the Brewers are on a run but the praise being showered on the B’s bullpen has been excessive. That said, right now....I’d take at least 2 of their RP’s over Jansen."

"They’ve improved since but I agree it’s excessive. The dudes on MLB radio yest said they’d pick the 4 best relievers from Milw before they’d pick Jansen... gl with that lol"

"I'm still of the mind that Jeremy Jeffress isn't unhittable. Unlike Hader, we can get to Jeffress.

And Knebel??? He's missed quite a bit of baseball. He's not the same guy as earlier in the year."

I am ready for some game action! Go Brewers and the lockdown back end. Game 1: Lets Gooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dodgers scored 21 runs in one game against this pitching staff. Obviously, the Brewers bullpen against the Dodgers is not that good."

"Didn’t the Dodgers own them this year? I know postseason is different and the Brewers are on a run but the praise being showered on the B’s bullpen has been excessive. That said, right now....I’d take at least 2 of their RP’s over Jansen."

"They’ve improved since but I agree it’s excessive. The dudes on MLB radio yest said they’d pick the 4 best relievers from Milw before they’d pick Jansen... gl with that lol"

"I'm still of the mind that Jeremy Jeffress isn't unhittable. Unlike Hader, we can get to Jeffress.

And Knebel??? He's missed quite a bit of baseball. He's not the same guy as earlier in the year."

I am ready for some game action! Go Brewers and the lockdown back end. Game 1: Lets Gooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Do these guys know anything about the Brewers? Knebel is far better now than he was in July or June. It's not up for debate. The Dodgers scored 21 runs off Chacin(admittedly a problem) but also Williams, Albers, and Perez. Congratulations...you really got to our bullpen. The Dodgers won the season series 4-3 with 3 of our losses being close. In what universe is that "owning us"?

This isn't quite cubs level of delusion, but still pretty bad.

Gio Gonzalez in Game 1 of the NLCS against Kershaw...honestly I can't help but laugh at it. It is kind of sad to think 2/3 of our NLCS rotation is Gio Gonzalez and Wade Miley. At the same time simply incredible we even got here depending on guys like that who came here prett much washed up.

That being said both have put up insane numbers for us and that is all that matters right now. Over 200 innings I would laugh and say we are doomed...but its all about small samples at this point!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

There will be a statue of Derek Johnson outside Miller Park for his work this year.

The series is finally here. All the interviews, all the articles with some respectful of the Brewers and some not so much. Puig with his dumb comments but consider the source.

Yay to this team in getting this far and get us to the World Series.

I don't think I saw this anywhere but with his start in game 3 against Colorado, Braun is now the franchise leader in postseason games at 18. 4 in 2008. 11 in 2011. 3 so far in 2018.

The 81-82 Brewer teams played 17 playoff games and without even looking I will say that Yount, Molitor, Cooper & Gantner started all 17.

Have to be wet blanket here. Verrrry nervous with Gio and his 88 MPH fastball on the mound. 4.1 IP 3 ER against Dodgers in 2016 playoffs, 5 IP 3 ER against Cubs last year. Despite his ERA since joining Brewers he is not a good pitcher.

I have a feeling we're either winning a close series or we're losing a runaway. I don't think the Dodgers win a close one.

I really like our chances with LAD, they have been a very boom or bust team. If we get the best of the boom that is bad, but I like our chances. But this is exactly how I see a potential series. It either goes the distance and we shock the world or its a 4-0, 4-1 thing the other way.

Twitter is great for following specific people, but the comments/replies are truly, truly awful. I lose IQ every time I try to read baseball twitter fandom. Same with facebook. Places like these are good, baseball reddit has some of the twitter element, but plenty of knowledgeable and good posters as well that make up for it. And most of all, it has the up/downvote function so you can avoid the dumbest takes.

I'm sure I'm reading too much into this and I'm ashamed of myself for doing so, but Stearns was just on MLB Network and didn't necessarily sound all that confident about Gio.

"Gio matches up as well as he can against a talented lineup like the Dodgers have. We're going to run him out there. We look forward to watching him and obviously our gameplan most days as we get into the middle innings...let's get to the bullpen and see what we can do."

EDIT: They're talking to Mark Loretta now, who played on all four LCS teams. Pretty cool.

For perspective's sake, going into this season the prevailing wisdom was that MLB was going to have a handful of "superteams" capable of winning a championship, a group of awful teams, and the remaining half of the league stuck in no-man's land mediocrity without a clear path to become contenders.

The final 4 teams playing to go to the world series include 3 of the aforementioned superteams and our Brewers. That's despite not having their best 2017 starting pitcher all of 2018, despite missing arguably their 2nd best 2017 starter for ~75% of the season and getting a bad version of him most of the time when Davies did pitch, despite their 2018 opening day starter having to be left off postseason rosters due to a propensity to give up HRs, despite the likes of a pile of early season MIF garbage and Boone Logan pitching in high leverage spots, and despite being projected as a sub-500 team by presumably respected baseball analysis sites.

They've got the NL MVP on their roster and 1-2 relievers who will likely garner some CY votes. They have an electric bullpen that includes talented young arms capable of becoming effective MLB starters in the very near future. Their lineup and bench has the talent and depth that is comparable to the remaining teams in the playoffs, at a fraction of the payroll. There are prospect reinforcements not too far away from being regular contributors and the current roster won't need to be gutted like many other small market postseason contenders have to immediately after their best "go for it" window opens. Admittedly I wasn't old enough to know what was going on for the early 80's Brewer teams, but I'd say this is probably the best positioned the Brewer organization has ever been in terms of sustaining a quality organization capable of becoming postseason regulars, and it has to rival if not exceed being the best time to be a Brewers fan in the history of this team.

Let's get after it, and here's hoping for this ride continuing well into late October!!!

Community Moderator
It's fun to be the underdog in this series. If we do some damage early in the series, the pressure will be on the Dodgers to win the games in LA. I like our chances to take the series. Brewers in 7.

For lineup today I'm expecting

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Aguilar

Moustakas

Schoop

Kratz

Arcia

They might swap Moose and Schoop, also might go Perez over Schoop at 2b...but otherwise I can't see them doing much different than that.

Pina has caught all 5 games that Gonzalez has pitched, so it'll be him and not Kratz.

Perez/Schoop are both hitless career against Kershaw (Perez 0-5, Schoop 0-3), I'm guessing they go with Schoop unless they just want to get Shaw in there regardless (Shaw is 0-2 with a BB against Kershaw).

Yeah, I think Keith's lineup is probably dead-on except Pina will be in instead of Kratz. It's going to stink that Shaw will have to sit a lot in this series, but he's just so bad against lefties and these are really tough lefties.

Tonight's game kicks off my fall vacation, so I'm at least as excited about some time off work as I am these games.

I was oddly not nervous at all about the NLDS (except a bit in the 9th of Game 1), but the NLCS has me a little jittery before we even leave for Milwaukee.

Let's have fun!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived