Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-12 (NLCS Game #1): Dodgers (Kershaw) at Brewers (González) 7:09 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-5 -- Bullpen Survives; 12th Straight Win; Burgers for Everyone]

Eye Black
  • Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Three innings for Hader?

I think CC is just saving a pinch hitter. Hader won't pitch the 7th.

Why? Granderson, Kratz, Schoop, all still available. Not the pitcher I'd like to even take a chance at getting hurt on a pitch inside. You could put any pitcher in to bat there.

No, Smoltz. Hader is clearly batting to save a PH.

I’m with you. I figured he’s saving his bullets on the bench, but who knows. CC is the mad scientist.

Hader is at 27 pitches. I have to think he'll be out.

Still, odd to let him bat there. Are they really gonna need Schoop and Granderson later in the game?

Love Counsell but I'd like to see the analytics that say leading off an inning isn't an important at-bat. He seems to wait to use a PH until they have a leverage at-bat, but you're much less likely to have that if you lead off with a pitcher. I think leading off before the top of the order hits is high leverage by definition.

Wow - I was totally wrong on Hader not pitching another inning.

To me it just wouldn't make sense otherwise. 3 pinch hitters available and leading off. Why would you risk injury to Hader there batting him if you didn't plan to use him?

Archived