Brewer Fanatic

Stearns denied interview to become President of Baseball Operations of Giants

JDBrewCrew

I thought Brian Sabean was retained to run everything in SF, even though they fired their GM.

I think it will be interesting to see what Stearns does the rest of his career. He's got about 30 years of "work" left in him and he's already reached pretty much the highest level of his profession. If we win the World Series this year what more does he have to accomplish?

I thought Brian Sabean was retained to run everything in SF, even though they fired their GM.

I think it will be interesting to see what Stearns does the rest of his career. He's got about 30 years of "work" left in him and he's already reached pretty much the highest level of his profession. If we win the World Series this year what more does he have to accomplish?

How about winning a second World Series? The SF Giants have won 3 world series in 2010, 2012 and 2014, why can't Stearns' Brewers try to accomplish the same.

He was a Mets fan growing up, so just like CC's dream job is to manage the Brewers, DS' dream job is probably to run the Mets. That job is available. Would he be interested? I would think so but maybe not now. Even though this rebuild went incredibly quick the next rebuild he steps into probably won't. After all the Marlins are out of All-Star/MVP caliber OFs to trade. The mets will probably always underperform as long as the Wilpon's are the owners. Not really worried for now. But yeah, everyone's going to have to get used to DS' name being associated with pretty much every GM job that opens up. I am perfectly happy to make that trade off to see the Brewer in the NLCS and hopefully the World Series.

One interesting avenue to think about is that Attanasio might be able to open up his pocket book a little more which could be enticing to Stearns and help him decide to remain in Milwaukee for years to come. The Brewers payroll this year is $110 million. Making the playoffs generates roughly $25 million in additional profits for the owner at the end of the season. If the Brewers can consistently make the playoffs, they can sustain a much higher payroll. Also, the Brewers received $50 million this past offseason from the sale of BAMTech. Who’s to say the Brewers couldn’t increase payroll another $20-$30million or so for a 3-4 year window? The Brewers could sustain a $130-$140 million payroll for a few seasons and not be concerned about going in the red.

He can't let him go yet especially how far we got this year. but i agree Mark could up the spending ante if he wants for 2019. I thought their TV deal was going to expire soon with the success of the Crew will that help them get a few extra bucks .

He can't let him go yet especially how far we got this year. but i agree Mark could up the spending ante if he wants for 2019. I thought their TV deal was going to expire soon with the success of the Crew will that help them get a few extra bucks .

So after doing some quick Google searches, I couldn't figure out the difference between PoBO and a GM other than title/money.

There really isn't. It's exactly the Theo Epstein (PoBO)/Jed Hoyer (Exec-VP, GM) system the Cubs have in place. It's just a title construct that teams use to be able to lure existing GM's under the guise that it's a promotion, while in reality they just have a few extra people report into them.

Regarding the Brian Sabean comment, his title is currently similar to Hoyer's (Exec-VP, Baseball Ops) except in this situation the GM position is open. If they genuinely offered the PoBO position to Stearns, it would appear he would be brought in to be Sabean's boss and they'd still be looking for a GM (in which case we'd have to play defense and promote Arnold to GM but likely lose another top assistant to SF if they offer up their GM position). Which is a structure that may seem like you have a lot of smart people in the building... but who's really calling the shots?

Gruber Lawffices

So after doing some quick Google searches, I couldn't figure out the difference between PoBO and a GM other than title/money.

There really isn't. It's exactly the Theo Epstein (PoBO)/Jed Hoyer (Exec-VP, GM) system the Cubs have in place. It's just a title construct that teams use to be able to lure existing GM's under the guise that it's a promotion, while in reality they just have a few extra people report into them.

Regarding the Brian Sabean comment, his title is currently similar to Hoyer's (Exec-VP, Baseball Ops) except in this situation the GM position is open. If they genuinely offered the PoBO position to Stearns, it would appear he would be brought in to be Sabean's boss and they'd still be looking for a GM (in which case we'd have to play defense and promote Arnold to GM but likely lose another top assistant to SF if they offer up their GM position). Which is a structure that may seem like you have a lot of smart people in the building... but who's really calling the shots?

I'd guess Sabean would step aside into some sort of executive advisor role, then Stearns would be left to hire a GM (in effect assistant GM). Can't see how else this would be compelling to Stearns.

Archived