Brewer Fanatic

"The Milwaukee Brewers Have Played This All Perfectly"

College sports are so top heavy because there's no draft (not that there would be). Oh wow, Alabama has the #1 football recruiting class again! Oh, how unusual - the top recruits are going to Georgia and Clemson! Success begets success in college. It's crazy hard for teams, especially in sports where you need a lot of good players, to climb into the top ranks if they aren't already there. The best players just go to the best programs and keep them the best.

Drafts in pro sports give lesser teams a chance to turn it around. They don't always do so, but at least the opportunity is there.

College is different because the kids have a choice of where to go and most of the best of the best chose to go to the best teams. Amateur baseball players wouldn't have a choice (more or less) in a draft, so all the top talent isn't going to funnel in to a few organizations. I agree a random draft order would be stupid but the college example does not fit. I think the draft order should be based on your combined record the previous 5 seasons or so instead of just the previous year.

College sports are so top heavy because there's no draft (not that there would be). Oh wow, Alabama has the #1 football recruiting class again! Oh, how unusual - the top recruits are going to Georgia and Clemson! Success begets success in college. It's crazy hard for teams, especially in sports where you need a lot of good players, to climb into the top ranks if they aren't already there. The best players just go to the best programs and keep them the best.

Drafts in pro sports give lesser teams a chance to turn it around. They don't always do so, but at least the opportunity is there.

College is different because the kids have a choice of where to go and most of the best of the best chose to go to the best teams. Amateur baseball players wouldn't have a choice (more or less) in a draft, so all the top talent isn't going to funnel in to a few organizations. I agree a random draft order would be stupid but the college example does not fit. I think the draft order should be based on your combined record the previous 5 seasons or so instead of just the previous year.

I think he’s explaining why there needs to be a draft to keep some parity/allow the lesser teams access to good players.

I can't stand any draft system that rewards bad teams. They need to go to a random system where every team will have one overall number 1 pick in the next 30 years

That, umm, wouldn't be a random system. And you hate all draft systems I guess.

Archived