Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers v Brewers

torts
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the hit he gave up was only hit 82.1 MPH and only had a 55% HP. It was pretty lucky. The HR was a mistake which I think he admitted in there. The Dodgers had two hits where the probability was 15% or lower. Single game results are just so worthless for judging pitchers so it is hard to read too much into such a short outing.

Right or wrong, it makes you look foolish. So many other ways to answer that question to not come off that way.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yelich has to start hitting.

He was absolutely the guy you want up there in the 9th, but after you watched him foul off Jansen the first time it was hard to feel that anything good was going to happen. Jansen's cutter really ate him up 3 times.

It's hard to ask him to continue carrying this team. Other guys have to step up. Cain has somewhat, and Arcia has somewhat. Everyone else for the most part has been just okay. Not great.

Someone needs to really step up offensively in L.A. whether it be Yelich or someone else.

Really telling stat in this series:

Brewers w /RISP: 2 for 14 (.143)

Dodgers w / RISP: 4 for 9 (.444), 3 BB

Say what you want about the pen, but at some point if you want to play with the big boys, you have to be able to come up with that big hit in that key moment. The Dodgers have. We have not. We're putting together far more threats. But we're not finishing.

It's frustrating, because frankly, we've been the better team so far. But they've been the more mature team.

Just read that MLB told Suter to stay out of the dugout since he's not on the 40 man. He tweeted about it, but then deleted the tweet.

How come this wasn't an issue in the regular season? Is it different in the post season? And what difference does it make if he's there if he isn't playing??

Now I see he deleted that tweet. What is really going on here?

Say what you want about the pen, but at some point if you want to play with the big boys, you have to be able to come up with that big hit in that key moment. The Dodgers have. We have not. We're putting together far more threats. But we're not finishing.

It's frustrating, because frankly, we've been the better team so far. But they've been the more mature team.

This has really been an issue this season. We have had problems scoring w/RISP.

I think those stats are fairly telling. The Brewers have hit more home runs (4 vs. 2). And have had both games decided by one run. Even just a couple of more hits with runners in scoring position and the Brewers are likely sitting on a 2-0 series lead with a great chance to advance to the World Series.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Our MVP has pretty much been a thunderous fart since the start of October which is not really helping in the big hit department. If he were hitting at a Marlins level we are up 2-0.

It is asking a lot for us to think he could continue at that pace. He literally carried this team on his back. He's too good a hitter to sputter like this much longer. It would help if Cain, Braun or Aguilar would pick up the slack some here...

Our MVP has pretty much been a thunderous fart since the start of October which is not really helping in the big hit department. If he were hitting at a Marlins level we are up 2-0.

They're pitching around him and he's doing what he's supposed to do - take walks and let someone else be the hero. That's why OBP is more important than SLG, because it's doing what's right for the team instead of looking for individual glory. A .458 OBP with an .833 OPS is more valuable than some of the .325 OBP with a .900+ OPS crap people go gaga over (Javy Baez for example).

They're pitching around him and he's doing what he's supposed to do - take walks and let someone else be the hero. That's why OBP is more important than SLG, because it's doing what's right for the team instead of looking for individual glory. A .458 OBP with an .833 OPS is more valuable than some of the .325 OBP with a .900+ OPS crap people go gaga over (Javy Baez for example).

If the guys behind him (Braun and Aguilar) were hitting, he'd be getting better pitches to hit. They are pitching around him, and it's obvious he's getting frustrated. If Braun gets back to the Braun of two weeks ago, I predict Yelich gets hot too. Yelich was otherworldly when Braun was hitting better, even though Braun was hitting in the 5 hole much of the time.

JJ’s Twitter:

”To set things straight. One lost doesn’t define my ability. And a homerun is never lucky. I was referring to the cheap hits before. Everyone are professionals here. Except the ones who criticize. Thanks have a blessed day”

Perfect reason not to go there in the first place. Now you have to come clarify your dumb response to getting beat with more sour grapes and poor spelling.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

JJ’s Twitter:
”To set things straight. One lost doesn’t define my ability. And a homerun is never lucky. I was referring to the cheap hits before. Everyone are professionals here. Except the ones who criticize. Thanks have a blessed day”

Perfect reason not to go there in the first place. Now you have to come clarify your dumb response to getting beat with more sour grapes and poor spelling.

I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the emotions were running pretty high last night. I don't think this is sour grapes. Brewers Twitter is 99% tools. Maybe even more than that. I get it.

I don't get the big deal about his response. It was nothing. At least he sounded like a guy that was frustrated instead of rattling off a bunch of dumb sports cliches. Couldn't care less about what he says, he needs to start throwing the ball well and his post-game platitudes have no bearing on that.

No problem with his response as long as he isn't outright calling the HR lucky. The other hits were lucky, and he has a right to remind people of that. The walk to Barnes was nearly unforgivable and I don't see how you bring him back for the next inning after that. I get that he and Hader work over multiple innings a lot, but I don't think it's ideal - especially when it looks like they might be laboring. I'd like to see their batted ball stats after sitting a half inning and coming back in, but my gut tells me their dependability goes down in cases like that, especially after ~3-4 batters for JJ and ~5-6 for Hader.

And again, it's not like everyone else in the pen is Drake and Albers. This was a 35-man effort to get here. Don't turn it into a 20-man team now that you're here. By not giving them work when you have a chance (game 3 against the Rockies for example), you're just ensuring that the rest of the pen won't be reliable when you finally have no choice but to use them in a higher leverage situation. I think it's a case of managing scared to ask so much of Hader, Jeffress, and Knebel when you have other options.

I think one game at a time applies way more in the postseason. I know we have all these odds and projections, but I feel like nearly every game comes down to a few bounces or key hits. I don't think you can think like we have to get Game 3 or we have to take 2 in LA and stay sane. The simple fact of playoff baseball is you are not out until you are out. Good teams trail in series a lot and go on to win. Look at last year's ALCS. Look at the Cubs. I would feel better up 2-0, but my frustration is more about not winning (losing is never fun) than series positioning. Even up 2-0 Game 3 would scare me. In fact, it might scare me more because I would feel like we have more to lose.

One game at a time. Go Brewers!

A few observations: please forgive me for those who don't like a list.

1. Prince throwing out 1st pitch to Braun and then doing their signature HR forearm bash/boxer punch was really cool.

2. Cain's swag is so big for this team. That robbery of Freese was a major tone setter and boost for Miley.

3. Miley's double with one out in the 3rd and being left stranded by Cain and Yelich was a big missed opportunity.

(Cain and Yelich came up empty again in the 9th after Perez walked)

5. Miley had the game of his life and has to be still feeling sick today after watching the final 3 innings unfold.

6. Burnes will be a better pitcher both short and long term for the experience he had in the 7th. He has it. Just a tough outing yesterday against Muncy, Machado and Bellinger.

7. We had some luck go our way with 2 big DP's, one to end the 7th. Both easy bouncers in some highly tense situations with multiple runners on.

8. Obviously the bases loaded walk was a poorly executed pitch against Barnes. He has to trust his fastball there.

9. The home run to Turner was another situation where you have to trust your fastball if you are a big time closer. The blueprint was set on an effective way to get Turner to swing and miss late in game 1. Ride the ladder with high heat. If JJ can't do it, then bring in someone in that spot yesterday who can.

10. We gave up 2 walks and both were huge, game turning walks. We got walked 4 times and each time never threatened.

Finally, I was at both games 2 in MP. The crowd was lights out amazing against Colorado - all game. It was a loud confident crowd. Every pitch sequence the crowd was engaged and on top of their game. Yesterday, it was good, but nowhere near last week. There was a sense of anxiety and a little fatigue in the crowd too often. Very surprising! Hopefully they come home to play with a chance to win this thing and the fans bring their A game as well. It does help! A guy like JJ thrives on that positive energy.

Last, re-read luke 121 on this board. He gets it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but why has Rob Edwards been replaced as the Miller Park PA announcer for the playoff games? I don't remember this being the case in 2008 or 2011. I don't like it. I want to hear that familiar voice when I go see games at Miller Park. I'm hoping it for some reason other than MLB dictating this situation (like perhaps Edwards had a vacation planned or some other personal situation). I also sure hope he didn't retire.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived