Brewer Fanatic

2019 Minor League Options Remaining Thread

Greenleaf1

Update: Donnie Hart has been claimed from the Orioles and placed on the 40-man roster (Wahl moved to 60-day IL to make room).

He was optioned during spring training before he was DFA'd, so I'm not entirely sure how the days work for when he's kind of in no man's land between teams, but for now I'll assume that he'll burn his 3rd and final option on the same day all other players will who were optioned during ST.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

Taylor Williams has been optioned to AAA. He will burn his 3rd and final option if he spends 20 days in the Minors.

Jack Petricka was recalled before burning his 2nd option. If he spends another 10 days in the minors this year, he would burn an option. Alternatively, if he spends 15 days in the Majors, he can't be sent to the Minors without his permission.

his 2017 transactions listed on mlb.com are a bit puzzling. a player cannot be recalled unless his contract is selected first. there's nothing from 2017 that shows he was added to the 40-man roster prior to making the braves' 25-man roster on 30 august 2017.

from what i can see on mlb.com, he should just be about to burn his second option in 2019.

his 2017 transactions listed on mlb.com are a bit puzzling. a player cannot be recalled unless his contract is selected first. there's nothing from 2017 that shows he was added to the 40-man roster prior to making the braves' 25-man roster on 30 august 2017.

from what i can see on mlb.com, he should just be about to burn his second option in 2019.

I think I'm just going to have to assume that the first recall was really when his contract was selected, which means he has thus far only burned one option in 2018 and, like you said, is about to burn his 2nd option for 2019.

Update:

Freddy Peralta to the IL. Jake Petricka optioned back to the Minors. Petricka is right on that line of about to lose his next option, but also getting very close to 5 years of MLB service time, so the Brewers are clearly trying to maintain flexibility with him as long as possible.

Jeffress has been activated from the IL, and Aaron Wilkerson has been recalled from AAA. I believe Wilkerson has not burned his 2019 option yet (I believe he would if he'd spent the rest of the day in AAA), but he will if he's optioned again at any point this year.

Update:

A whole bunch of minor leaguers burned their 2019 option officially today since they have been optioned for 20 days.

Numbers have been adjusted, with a new note to indicate that a player has burned an option this year, so for example if a player has "0" next to their name, that means they are out of options this year and can't be optioned in 2019. If they have "0-", it means they burned their final option in 2019 and are still able to be optioned for the remainder of the 2019 season.

Update:

Alex Wilson placed on paternity list (congrats, Alex).

Petricka has been recalled to take his place. His line here is getting harder and harder to maintain as he nears two possible threshholds for the year, but it should get easier in the next few weeks as he reaches one or the other (or both, possibly).

Update:

No official word yet, but seems like Corbin Burnes and Jake Petricka have been optioned. Donnie Hart has been recalled from AAA and Alex Wilson has been reinstated from the paternity list.

Petricka continues to be the toughest line to maintain in this thread, as he is 9 days away from burning his 2019 option but also only a few days away from 5 years of MLB service time. Something's gotta give soon...

Update:

Guerra placed on bereavement leave, Hart optioned to AAA.

Petricka and Houser recalled.

Also, Chase Anderson has reached 5 years of service time and can no longer be optioned to the Minor Leagues without his consent.

Update:

The great Jake Petricka line has finally settled down, as he has reached 5 years MLB service time and can no longer be optioned without his consent. Enjoy that star next to your name, Jake, you've earned it.

In other news, if Taylor Williams isn't called up today, he will burn his 3rd and final option.

When the time comes and I imagine it will, I wonder if Petricka will agree to the option instead of being DFA since he is always one of the first to get called back up.

Update:

We found out the answer a few days ago, I guess, as Petricka was DFA'd. Reports said he was only DFA'd to make room for Gio Gonzalez on the 40-man, but it still seems possible that he just refused an option and made that decision easy for the Brewers.

Anyways, Petricka is now off the 40-man, his 2 option years (if he consents) are still in tact for now if remains in the Brewers' system. Gio has been added to the 40-man roster.

Taylor Williams has now spent more than 20 days in the minors this year and has burned his 3rd and final option. It is unclear if, like Adrian Houser, he would be eligible for a 4th option next year due to his injury history.

Update:

Alex Wilson has been designated for assignment. Brewers have selected the contract of Jay Jackson to replace him on the 40-man.

Looking back at Jackson's career, I'm kind of amazed at how badly the Cubs seem to have bundled his career but maybe there is more to the story. Jackson was a top 10 (maybe even top 5) prospect once for the Cubs, had a helium-like rise through their system in 2 years after being drafted, then they let him toil away at AAA for 3 years until he probably just got so frustrated he couldn't pitch well anymore, then they released him without ever adding him to the 40-man.

He did have a brief call up in 2015, did not perform well, then went to Japan where he performed very well. Most astonishing is that the Cubs never once thought to try him in the bullpen during those 3 long years in AAA, which is where he seems to be thriving now.

JJ #2 could be a really smart pickup. Hasn't given up a run at AAA yet this year, 14:2 K:BB in 8.2 IP, and reportedly has a fastball in the mid to upper 90s. Excited to see how he fares with the Crew.

Shaw has 2 options. He also is in his 5th year but has only played 3 full seasons and about 80 games. Does that mean we can option him still?

Yes, the Brewers could option him without his consent until he hits 5 full years service time. Like you said, at the beginning of 2019, Shaw had 3 years and 88 days of service time, so this entire year plus part of next year we could option him without his consent. I'm not sure if we're to that point with him yet though.

Update:

I was on vacation this weekend so I made a few updates when I thought of it and I think this chart is up to date, just haven't listed them in an update post. I believe what I missed was:

- Jay Jackson DFA'd

- Burch Smith contract selected

- Jacob Barnes was optioned and will burn his 3rd and final option if he remains in the Minors through May 21st.

Update:

With his recall, Jacob Barnes' 2019 option status is on hold. He has not yet spent 20 days in the Minors this season, so, at least for now, his 2019 option is still intact.

Burch Smith will burn his 3rd and final option if he remains in the minors through the end of May.

Update:

Jacob Barnes optioned to make room for Chase Anderson's reinstatement from the IL.

He has 10 more days to go before he burns his 2nd option. So unless there's an injury replacement, he'll burn that option before he can be recalled (I think).

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Jacob Barnes has burned his 3rd and final option. He will enter the 2020 season with no options remaining.

Jimmy Nelson was optioned from his rehab assignment 8 days short of 5 years MLB service time, so he can still be optioned without his permission at this time. He would burn his 2nd option if he spends 20+ more days in the Minors this season. Once he is recalled, it is unlikely that he would be eligible to be optioned again without his permission.

Jacob Barnes reminds me of Mike Adams. An unheralded prospect whose stuff got much better in the minors. I’d really like him to figure it out with us.

Jacob Barnes stuff has regressed since his peak which was first half of 2017. At that time his stuff rivaled that of Corey Knebel, FB 96-99, good slider, below average command. His stuff nowhere near as good now but has a little better command.

Jacob’s issue is between his ears. I think his days with the brewers are over unless catastrophic injuries occur. I’m hoping we can trade him as opposed to releasing him.

• 2 weeks later...

(Late) Updates:

Burch Smith has burned his 3rd and final option, and will enter 2020 with no options remaining.

The clock on Keston Hiura's first option is running. He will burn his first option after June 22nd.

Jimmy Nelson is now the owner of the most complicated line. It will be simplified a bit if he makes it to Wednesday on the big league roster, when he will reach 5 years service time.

Archived