Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-05 (NLDS Game #2): Rockies (Anderson) at Brewers (Chacín) 3:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-0]

Eye Black
Don't get arcia sitting at all, especially for perez

Same - guess we need some grit in the lineup for game 2.

There was a stretch where Perez was hammering lefties and it made sense but he has been struggling, watching him yesterday I am not sure he should even be on the playoff roster but we should be used to it. Counsel likes him, hopefully he will hit one out today.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Part of the reason for Hernan batting 6th could be that it gives the Brewers a middle-ish spot in the order to replace in a double switch. For instance if Chacin goes between 4 to 5 innings, then you likely just get past Hernan's spot in the order for a second time when you are ready to bring in a reliever.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Anyone else think moose’s ball was going to be caught? I couldn’t see a thing until the RFer was shown fielding the ball. How close was it ?

All these newfangled digital tv's kind of suck for sports. They still don't capture fast-paced action as well as the old CRT tv's because of refresh rate issues. That's why professional cinematographers and avid gamers still like the CRT's. Classic case of companies hyping new innovations that are worse than the old ones despite some catchy features. I don't care about all the vivid color and extremely high definition if it can't capture action. Wish they still made consumer level HD CRT's.

Same - guess we need some grit in the lineup for game 2.

There was a stretch where Perez was hammering lefties and it made sense but he has been struggling, watching him yesterday I am not sure he should even be on the playoff roster but we should be used to it. Counsel likes him, hopefully he will hit one out today.

Yea it feels like a "hunch" with as bad as he has looked lately. Not just results - but eye test. But again, what do we know lol. CC has pushed the correct buttons a lot more than pushed the wrong ones this year!!

CC can NOT stop himself from starting Perez, just like he could NOT stop himself from starting Sogard.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Mistakes with the bench started with Santana leading off the 3rd. That should have been Granderson, leaving Santana available in the spot Broxton was.

Santana was the right call. No way of knowing what situations will come up later, so you gotta use one of the guys who's obviously not a pinch-runner or defensive sub. Facing an LHP, and with the Rockies' best relievers being RHP's (save Granderson), that's Santana. It was a good situation to use a good PH because the top of the lineup was coming up and it had a chance to be a big inning. Just wasn't meant to be.

And it's not like Santana is that great anyway. A lot of people are acting like he's got everything figured out but it's an extremely small sample. You can't fear using the right PH in the right situation because you might have an even better situation to use him later.

Heads up to anyone going to the game. I have seen this happen before, but when it rains, people cancel their tail gate plans and a lot of people end up showing up at the game at the same time creating long traffic lines. Get there early if you can!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Excellent lineup!

Perez's numbers against LHP are quite good, probably even better than Moustakas. And now this creates headaches for Colorado once they go to the bullpen because we've got a righty killer (Shaw) deep in the lineup.

The Brewers lineup is now updated in the initial post.

Am I mistaken, or is this the first time this season we have seen this exact lineup?

Braun and Jesus back to back, and Shaw way down there, yes first I've seen that !

I STRONGLY dislike starting Perez... and just don't know where he gets his good numbers vsL's from, because every time he has started it seems he does nothing and does not have good at bats..... PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PROVE ME WRONG TODAY HERNAN! lol.

Lets hang some crooked numbers today and have an easy day from the bullpen side for once.

I truly don't understand what CC sees in Perez. Yes, he is versatile and all that but there has to be somebody better at the plate than this guy. :tongue

Part of the reason for Hernan batting 6th could be that it gives the Brewers a middle-ish spot in the order to replace in a double switch. For instance if Chacin goes between 4 to 5 innings, then you likely just get past Hernan's spot in the order for a second time when you are ready to bring in a reliever.

This is my thinking. Rather than burn Santana in the third like yesterday, Arcia probably gets that AB (hopefully after Chacin comes up for the second time after 5 scoreless (well, really, hopefully they just can let Chacin hit because it's 8-0 Brewers at that point, but you get the idea).

Using Santana in the third yesterday was absolutely the right call. We had to score runs off the relatively weak LH SP before the Colorado bullpen became a threat and Santana gave us the best odds of getting on base for Cain/Yelich. Easy call, and correct.

Using Santana in the third yesterday was absolutely the right call. We had to score runs off the relatively weak LH SP before the Colorado bullpen became a threat and Santana gave us the best odds of getting on base for Cain/Yelich. Easy call, and correct.

Agree, but one correction - he was a RH pitcher.

Kratz and Arcia on the pine? Weakening the middle of the field, I don't like it, not at all...

I assume you mean Pina? He took quite a beating last night. Otherwise, I am onboard with more games caught by Manny.

yes, good catch...

Kratz and Arcia on the pine? Weakening the middle of the field, I don't like it, not at all...

In 21 games with Kratz catching Jhoulys has a 3.23 ERA compared to a 4.39 ERA in 12 starts with Manny.

Against lefties the last two seasons Perez has a 103 wRC+ compared to a 62 mark for Arcia.

This article is interesting in terms of the Brewers will obviously face Ottavino more times throughout this series, and he is extremely susceptible to giving up stolen bases:

Adam Ottavino Has a Weakness by Jeff Sullivan.

Good stuff

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Kratz is in

yup, fixed my original post, meant Pina.

I understand. I don't think it was a horrible call. But you really could have used Santana in that Broxton AB in the 8th too.

Basically, I don't think it's as "easy" as you're claiming. At the very least, there was a downside. Your best PH is no longer available, and there are 6 innings to play.

Your best PH is no longer available, and there are 6 innings to play.

This is why it was not the best decision.

No one on base, 3rd inning, not the time to burn your best PHer.

I'm going to guess that if Saladino was on the roster, this is when CC uses him. How does Santana = Saladino in any way?

It was a mistake, plain and simple.

I guess instead of second guessing every decision Counsell made in a game that, until the 9th inning, had us winning 2-0 and our opponents held to only 1 hit, I'm just going to say how excited I am at the prospect of Kyle Freeland not even pitching in this series.

I understand. I don't think it was a horrible call. But you really could have used Santana in that Broxton AB in the 8th too.

Basically, I don't think it's as "easy" as you're claiming. At the very least, there was a downside. Your best PH is no longer available, and there are 6 innings to play.

The Rockies starter yesterday was right handed. The decision was between Granderson and Santana I think and my assumption is Counsell didn't want to burn his only left handed bench bat that early in the game. If we just wanted to get a guy on base in front of the top, Granderson is the better option. He walks a lot, his OBP is better. I don't think there is a wrong answer there between Granderson and Santana.

Archived