Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-05 (NLDS Game #2): Rockies (Anderson) at Brewers (Chacín) 3:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-0]

Eye Black
  • Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else think moose’s ball was going to be caught? I couldn’t see a thing until the RFer was shown fielding the ball. How close was it ?

Even with the 2B on the grass it looked like it was over his head easily.

Moose’s body language suggested that it was a hit right off the bat but I couldn’t pick up the ball at all in the telecast and I have a pretty good tv.

Sorry if this was already discussed but did anyone ask Black why he didn't walk MM and take his chances with Pina rightie vs rightie? I know it would have loaded the bases but still seemed the obvious move with Yelich already at 3rd.

That was odd but I’d be more interested to know why they threw Moose a fastball instead of sliders.

I’m feeling great about our chances to get to the WS. Not just the obvious being up 1-0.

Past teams would have collapsed in the top of the ninth but not this team. We held it together after playing a very sloppy game and got the clutch hit. Good luck using analytics to explain that.

I like our chances in this series, especially after last nights win, but assuming we would face the Dodger's next.....they will not be bringing pitchers out of their bullpen with 6+ ERAs and 6 1/3 total inning of MLB experience like the Rockies did last night (and we did not score on either of those guys).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Sorry if this was already discussed but did anyone ask Black why he didn't walk MM and take his chances with Pina rightie vs rightie? I know it would have loaded the bases but still seemed the obvious move with Yelich already at 3rd.

That was odd but I’d be more interested to know why they threw Moose a fastball instead of sliders.

Runner on 3b, and I believe he had already uncorked a wild pitch or two on a slider. If they throw another wild pitch... game over.

That's why you try to get a runner to 3B even if there are two outs - it pretty much takes the curve/slider in the dirt pitch away.

[sarcasm]He didn't want to run the risk of a carryover run to start the game down 1-0 today[/sarcasm]

I honestly would have taken a shot at Pina vs a righty, all day, instead of a playoff tested Moose... But that is just me!

I was at the game so I assume this was discussed too, but I was totally blown away when I saw Broxton PH with a guy on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out. That was my absolute last choice guy there. I would get it if you wanted the speed to break up a DP. But you need the literal opposite of him in that AB. And it was a situation where he clearly was not going to stay in game as a defensive sub either. Just very strange.

I was at the game so I assume this was discussed too, but I was totally blown away when I saw Broxton PH with a guy on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out. That was my absolute last choice guy there. I would get it if you wanted the speed to break up a DP. But you need the literal opposite of him in that AB. And it was a situation where he clearly was not going to stay in game as a defensive sub either. Just very strange.

I think that was a case of Counsell maybe getting a little too cute with matchups. It isn't like Broxton is a pitcher-type up there like Gore, though. The guy hit 20 HRs last year. I would have rather seen Granderson there, but it would have been lefty-lefty and Counsell has been very careful not to put Grandy in that situation. Could hit Kratz there as well I suppose, but then you're not covered if Pina gets hurt.

Saw Ottavino's post game interview & he said he threw Moose the fastball because he thought he was behind it on his previous swings & also thought he would be looking slider at that point. Said he wanted to get the pitch higher than it ended up.

With regards to not walking Moose to load the bases for Piña, I'm guessing it's because Ottavino's 11.7 BB% was 21st out of 273 pitchers with at least 60 IP this year.

I think that was a case of Counsell maybe getting a little too cute with matchups. It isn't like Broxton is a pitcher-type up there like Gore, though. The guy hit 20 HRs last year. I would have rather seen Granderson there, but it would have been lefty-lefty and Counsell has been very careful not to put Grandy in that situation. Could hit Kratz there as well I suppose, but then you're not covered if Pina gets hurt.

Grandy is awful (I mean really awful) against lefties at this point in his career.

Broxton is pretty good against lefties.

Either decision can be defined as "too cute" because if you put Grandy in for his slightly better plate approach you're doing it knowing the fact that he cannot hit lefties at this point in his career.

Grandy is awful (I mean really awful) against lefties at this point in his career.

Broxton is pretty good against lefties.

Either decision can be defined as "too cute" because if you put Grandy in for his slightly better plate approach you're doing it knowing the fact that he cannot hit lefties at this point in his career.

Yep ... it was really a no-win for Counsell. He played matchup. There's only going to be so many bench options to choose from now. I think we got a little used to September baseball with all those expanded roster guys.

Brox is likely going to get several more opportunities. He's gonna have to produce, or he's gonna be done for the year in favor of someone like Thames or Saladino. I doubt any team has a great option as a 25th man.

The guys sitting in front of us were also upset about Broxton coming up in that situation, but I just assumed that other than Kratz, that was the only right handed option he had off the bench at that point.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The guys sitting in front of us were also upset about Broxton coming up in that situation, but I just assumed that other than Kratz, that was the only right handed option he had off the bench at that point.

Mistakes with the bench started with Santana leading off the 3rd. That should have been Granderson, leaving Santana available in the spot Broxton was.

No Schoop in the lineup! Although Perez over Arcia at short is questionable.

Perez, ugh. I get the R-L staggering, but bad ABs coming out of the 6th spot isn't ideal.

The Brewers lineup is now updated in the initial post.

Am I mistaken, or is this the first time this season we have seen this exact lineup?

Braun and Jesus back to back, and Shaw way down there, yes first I've seen that !

I STRONGLY dislike starting Perez... and just don't know where he gets his good numbers vsL's from, because every time he has started it seems he does nothing and does not have good at bats..... PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PROVE ME WRONG TODAY HERNAN! lol.

Lets hang some crooked numbers today and have an easy day from the bullpen side for once.

Archived