Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-04 (NLDS Game #1): Rockies (Senzatela) at Brewers (Woodruff/Bullpen) 4:07 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-2 in 10 Innings -- Blown Save in 9th; Moustakas Walk-Off Hit in 10th]

Eye Black
If Woodruff was a lock to make the roster it makes the most sense to use him as an opener. If he struggles, don't hesitate to pull him for Guerra or Burnes...or Gio...or Miley... They may only have 11 pitchers, but 7 of them can comfortably go 4+ innings if need be and face both lefties and righties.

I would say 3+, not 4+. But your point still stands. I'm not sure Hader or Burnes go more than 3. Even Woodruff and Guerra going 4 or more would require them to be seriously locked in.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been an advocate for Keon because of just how often pinch runners are needed in tight, postseason games. Imagine being stuck with Aguilar on base in a tie game in the ninth. Your goal in that moment is to win that inning, and Broxton gives you a much better chance of doing so. Maybe he comes up to hit, or maybe not. Maybe you've still got a sub left too.

I just think Broxton can only really hurt you by getting thrown out on the bases or making a dumb defensive play. He may have to hit once in an emergency situation, but he's not that much more likely to make an out than anyone else who would be used as an offensive sub. Now, maybe it hurts not having the 12th pitcher, but you really should be able to get through a playoff series with 11 out-getters, especially when 8 of them are used to pitching out of the pen.

If Woodruff was a lock to make the roster it makes the most sense to use him as an opener. If he struggles, don't hesitate to pull him for Guerra or Burnes...or Gio...or Miley... They may only have 11 pitchers, but 7 of them can comfortably go 4+ innings if need be and face both lefties and righties.

I would say 3+, not 4+. But your point still stands. I'm not sure Hader or Burnes go more than 3. Even Woodruff and Guerra going 4 or more would require them to be seriously locked in.

I meant to write either "comfortably 3+" or "4+ if need be" and it ended up as a weird fusion of the two. It shouldn't be necessary anyway unless there are multiple extra inning games.

If Woodruff pitches like 4-5 innings, is it still considered a "bullpen" game?

As long as they win, they can call it a pigpen game for all I care ;)

Well I think you just settled the nickname thing. Congrats!

Quick, someone call Bill Michaels! I'll get the trademark office on the horn.

25-MAN NLDS ROSTER

Pitchers (11): RH Corbin Burnes, RH Jhoulys Chacin, LH Gio Gonzalez, RH Junior Guerra, LH Josh Hader, RH Jeremy Jeffress, RH Corey Knebel, LH Wade Miley, RH Freddy Peralta, RH Joakim Soria, RH Brandon Woodruff.

Catchers (2): Erik Kratz, Manny Pina.

Infielders (6): Jesus Aguilar, Orlando Arcia, Mike Moustakas, Hernan Perez, Jonathan Schoop, Travis Shaw.

Outfielders (6): Ryan Braun, Keon Broxton, Lorenzo Cain, Curtis Granderson, Domingo Santana, Christian Yelich.

Chase Anderson’s time with the Brewers might be done. He didn’t take being bumped very well and I’m sure this won’t help though I agree with it.

25-MAN NLDS ROSTER

Pitchers (11): RH Corbin Burnes, RH Jhoulys Chacin, LH Gio Gonzalez, RH Junior Guerra, LH Josh Hader, RH Jeremy Jeffress, RH Corey Knebel, LH Wade Miley, RH Freddy Peralta, RH Joakim Soria, RH Brandon Woodruff.

Catchers (2): Erik Kratz, Manny Pina.

Infielders (6): Jesus Aguilar, Orlando Arcia, Mike Moustakas, Hernan Perez, Jonathan Schoop, Travis Shaw.

Outfielders (6): Ryan Braun, Keon Broxton, Lorenzo Cain, Curtis Granderson, Domingo Santana, Christian Yelich.

Chase Anderson’s time with the Brewers might be done. He didn’t take being bumped very well and I’m sure this won’t help though I agree with it.

Is this an actual thing that he had issues with being pulled from the rotation?

He's under contract for next year (not an option year or arby) and I expect him to be a part of the 7 or so guys in the mix for the rotation. He definitely can get his fly ball issues under control and be closer to 2017 Ace Chanderson with some work or at the very least be a capable 5th starter.

Rockies have two left handed starters and two left handed relievers. I bet somewhere in all of this there is a situation Broxton is worth at least calling up to PH even if it is as a decoy to force a pitching change.

Who would have guessed even as recently as Sept 1 that Woodruff would be starting the playoff opener and Chase wouldn't make the cut. Maybe a changing of the guard in the rotation and they will be building it around Peralta, Burnes and Woodruff next year. I know it's a lot about matchups and maybe even more the recent results but it is still stunning to see Chase and Davies left off. 55 minutes to go!!!

Who would have guessed even as recently as Sept 1 that Woodruff would be starting the playoff opener and Chase wouldn't make the cut. Maybe a changing of the guard in the rotation and they will be building it around Peralta, Burnes and Woodruff next year. I know it's a lot about matchups and maybe even more the recent results but it is still stunning to see Chase and Davies left off. 55 minutes to go!!!

Read through the first couple pages of the 25 man postseason roster prediction thread. Crazy how much has changed in a month.

He wants to pitch, and that's great because that's how he SHOULD feel. I do think it was pretty funny when he added "take the HRs away and my results look a lot better." True Chase, take your problem away and there's no longer a problem. And if Kratz could run faster, he wouldn't be so slow.

He wants to pitch, and that's great because that's how he SHOULD feel. I do think it was pretty funny when he added "take the HRs away and my results look a lot better." True Chase, take your problem away and there's no longer a problem. And if Kratz could run faster, he wouldn't be so slow.

If you take away Broxtons strike outs and make them hits he is Willie Mays.

I don’t blame Anderson wanting to pitch at all but the meh 5 innings starter is quickly becoming a thing of the past in games that matter.

In his defense HR's allowed is one of those stats that doesn't stick very well season to season. A simple xStats search shows he allowed 30 HR but his expected was only 23 given how hard and at what angle balls were hit off of him. His history doesn't suggest this is some skill either, he historically has pretty much matched his expected.

His actual peripherals still suggest he might have been lucky to keep that ERA under 4 and he has looked worse as of late, so I don't blame them at all for not using him.

Alright, I'm settled in at my kid's practice, laptop and phone on hand. It ends at 8:00pm ET, though, so I'll have to decide whether I put it on the phone in the car and listen (watching would clearly be difficult while driving) or pick it up on DVR when I get home.

The Fox pregame guys don't like the bullpen game. Miley should have started, I agree, and we shall see if it was a good call. They all love Yelich. David Ortiz, Dontrell Willis and Tom Verducci picked the Brewers. Frank Thomas and ARod picked the Rockies.

Frank Thomas with more great analysis. Picking the Rockies (not that that's a horrible pick or anything) because they are "hot at the right time." Never mind that the other team has won 8 in a row.

Frank Thomas with more great analysis. Picking the Rockies (not that that's a horrible pick or anything) because they are "hot at the right time." Never mind that the other team has won 8 in a row.

I was thinking the exact same thing, in fairness the Rockies did win 9 of their last 10 and seriously wrecked some teams. So it's not like he was wrong that the Rockies were hot. That said, surprised that he didn't even notice our 8 straight.

The Fox pregame guys don't like the bullpen game. Miley should have started, I agree, and we shall see if it was a good call. They all love Yelich. David Ortiz, Dontrell Willis and Tom Verducci picked the Brewers. Frank Thomas and ARod picked the Rockies.

I can understand skepticism about a bullpen game, but a) Woodruff is basically a starter, and b) it's not like Miley would've gone 6 or 7 innings, anyway.

I still think it’s hilarious that Woodruff is starting game one. A guy so many wanted to get starts, passed over and over again, gets the ball to set the tone of the series. Gotta love this season. It’s been unlike any other for me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived