Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-04 (NLDS Game #1): Rockies (Senzatela) at Brewers (Woodruff/Bullpen) 4:07 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-2 in 10 Innings -- Blown Save in 9th; Moustakas Walk-Off Hit in 10th]

Eye Black
As long as Broxton doesn't pinch run for someone (Shaw, Jesus) then have to bat 2 or 3 times in an extra inning game...

I hate the Cubs, and those Terrance Gore ABs on Tuesday were still painful to watch. If it came to that, Broxton is much, much better with the bat than Gore, though. That's more of a indictment on how little of a threat Gore is, than saying Brox is any good with the bat.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as Broxton doesn't pinch run for someone (Shaw, Jesus) then have to bat 2 or 3 times in an extra inning game...

If this has to do with the Cubs and Terrance Gore, they wouldn't have been in extra innings if it wasn't for him. Would you prefer to lose in regulation or extend a game into extras while losing an offensive threat? And, Keon's offense is light years better than Gore's (not saying much).

There is no reason that Broxton can't pinch hit to face a lefty late in the game if called for. Thames really doesn't bring anything at all to the table. Taking a RP over him would be fine too but I don't think any offensive players should be there over him.

Broxton isn't needed IMO either but in saying that he will probably have some huge play at some point to prove me wrong.

He'll make a good play in RF or steal 2nd and score a run in one of these games. He'll be nice to have assuming we can get by with our 11 pitchers.

He might. I just hope he doesn't come off that bench to hit before Santana or Granderson. Just have a feeling we will see him far too often.

My guess for today would be Schoop as the first PH off the bench(unless there's a bases loaded spot or something), saving Granderson and Santana for later in the game and dependent on matchup. I think Perez will generally be insurance and be relatively glued to the bench except for super late game or extras.

If this has to do with the Cubs and Terrance Gore, they wouldn't have been in extra innings if it wasn't for him. Would you prefer to lose in regulation or extend a game into extras while losing an offensive threat? And, Keon's offense is light years better than Gore's (not saying much).

That statement was in general. I don't want to see him pinch run on a double switch, be forced into the line-up and then have to bat 2 times in a playoff game. He is close to worthless at the plate.

imo

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

+1000...I don't see the need for Broxton at all...At least not with Santana...one or the other, but not both. Cedeno not being on it absolutely floored me. I assumed he was a lock.

Our rotation doesn't go deep into games. Can you afford to keep a pitcher that is used for one player with a 25 man roster? Maybe, maybe not.

Keon, imo, is mainly on the team to be that pinch runner for late game situations (see Terrance Gore). Keon will also be subbed in defensively in late game situations. Keon is not on the roster for his offense.

If the Rockies are not alternating bats, Cedeno may get you two batters or make the Rockies pinch hit and use a bat off the bench and then he gets pulled.

Exactly regarding Keon vs Gore. Keon is actually capable of getting a hit. He's definitely high risk to strike out but he's capable of offense and isn't a virtually guaranteed out. I also don't see a situation where Keon takes multiple AB anyways. He wouldn't run for any outfielder, and if he ran for Aguilar we probably would put Perez in and move Shaw to 1b.

Reasons for Broxton over Cedeno:

-Starting series with all pitchers completely rested

-Off days built in, saving the bullpen even more

-Obviously only 2-3 starters needed, so essentially 9 pitchers in the BP

-Bullpen game means greater need for another PH, Broxton can give you that in addition to defense and speed on the base paths.

-Blackmon pretty neutral in his splits, so is Cedeno- so there isn't a whole lot of need for a LOOGY

Amen to this. This is the whole bullpen theory. Use the best player for the situation that you can so that you can see tomorrow (next inning). Don't save them tomorrow when it may likely never come.

Also, this sounds hilarious, but I'd consider Terrance Gore over a lot of decent MLB players at the plate in some of those situations from Tuesday night needing just 1 run. Just that situation and basically none other.

If Oberg's pitch is a millimeter to the right and hits his elbow, Gore is slightly more patient and takes the walk, or Gore tries harder for a bunt hit (why did he only attempt it basically once or twice in 2 ABs?) it's an automatic triple.

That statement was in general. I don't want to see him pinch run on a double switch, be forced into the line-up and then have to bat 2 times in a playoff game. He is close to worthless at the plate.

imo

His OPS and SLG % this year were higher than Perez and on par with Pina. He strikes out too much and doesn't walk enough ... but 'close to worthless' is not correct.

I'd rather he only hit in dire situations as well... but you might be stretching it.

Keon Broxton career splits:

vs LHP: 252 PA, .235/.353/.437, .344 wOBA

vs RHP: 546 PA, .215/.294/.414, .304 wOBA

Is there anybody on the roster with better numbers against LHP outside of the top-4 in the lineup?

Keon Broxton career splits:

vs LHP: 252 PA, .235/.353/.437, .344 wOBA

vs RHP: 546 PA, .215/.294/.414, .304 wOBA

Is there anybody on the roster with better numbers against LHP outside of the top-4 in the lineup?

Domingo Santana is the only one I can think of.

If Woodruff pitches like 4-5 innings, is it still considered a "bullpen" game?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I believe that we are going to see prime Braun during this playoff run. He’s going to come through in big moments and help lead the Brewers to a long playoff run! He’s been waiting years to get back in the postseason and wants to come through more than anybody for the city of Milwaukee and state of Wisconsin!

If Woodruff pitches like 4-5 innings, is it still considered a "bullpen" game?

As long as they win, they can call it a pigpen game for all I care ;)

Well I think you just settled the nickname thing. Congrats!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Keon will also be subbed in defensively in late game situations. Keon is not on the roster for his offense.

I hope that Keon wouldn't be substituted in on defense for Cain or Yelich, who unless injured, better be playing every inning in the play-offs. That leaves Braun, and I don't wnat his bat out of the line-up either. Big lead, sure, Keon for Braun defensively. Slide Yelich to Left and Keon in RF.

I think the idea is to put him in after Braun's last expected at bat. Even with a 1-2 run lead that strategy makes lots of sense.

If Broxton magically got hurt going into Game 5 do the Brewers have the option of replacing him with say Cedeno or are you stuck with your 25 even if there is an injury?

Noted in the other thread, but Broxton would be out for "this series and the next" so game 5 and for the NLCS. Could return in the World Series.

If Broxton magically got hurt going into Game 5 do the Brewers have the option of replacing him with say Cedeno or are you stuck with your 25 even if there is an injury?

You are allowed to swap a player in the event of injury. So yes, basically tell Broxton to sprint into a wall after game 4 if needed.

Noted in the other thread, but Broxton would be out for "this series and the next" so game 5 and for the NLCS. Could return in the World Series.

I didn't realize they woudl then be out for the next series. I imagine that's put in place to avoid shenanigans?

If Woodruff was a lock to make the roster it makes the most sense to use him as an opener. If he struggles, don't hesitate to pull him for Guerra or Burnes...or Gio...or Miley... They may only have 11 pitchers, but 7 of them can comfortably go 4+ innings if need be and face both lefties and righties.

Archived