Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-04 (NLDS Game #1): Rockies (Senzatela) at Brewers (Woodruff/Bullpen) 4:07 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-2 in 10 Innings -- Blown Save in 9th; Moustakas Walk-Off Hit in 10th]

Eye Black

Crazy, I’ve been following minors close since around 2002 & with way things had been for most of that time who thought we’d be looking at a rotation & bullpen that is largely homegrown through draft & minor league trades?!

Nelson, Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Jeffress, Hader, Knebel, Williams, Barnes........ Houser, Z. Brown aren’t far. Pretty amazing considering that outside of Sheets & Gallardo... Parra & Wily P. were best homegrown arms since 1998

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like Peralta, like Hader before him, is good enough already that you don't mind completing his development at the major league level. Burnes and Woodruff are more polished but I think all 3 will be in the rotation to start next season unless one or more is traded.

Walk off wins on October are awesome!!!

I just have to say that using Santana early to PH was not a big issue here. Broxton is capable of pinch running, pinch hitting or being a defensive replacement. For his career he is very comparable to Santana vs lefties. The only situation you easily want Santana over Broxton is if you are forced to go RHB vs RHP and we still had Granderson to come in vs a RHP.

If anyone has or finds audio of Uecker on Yelich's home run and/or (especially) the walk-off call, can you please post it?

Ueck wasn't on the call for the walk off

Nor yelich's homer I believe.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

It's a logical assumption. How often do they use Hader on back to back days? I'm guessing they won't unless they absolutely have to.

Yeah, I think he's the "in case of emergency" reliever tomorrow. But I have a tough time seeing him pitch at all. About the only way I think it happens is if the Brewers get out to a big early lead, and the Rockies start chipping away and make it close.

It sure was fun watching him face Carlos Gonzalez, though. Gonzo looked like he wanted to be anyplace but in that batter's box. What a weapon! And the fun thing is, there are several others in that pen that are pitching comparably effective.

Hader threw 20 pitches today, not an unreasonable workload. In late August he went back to back a day after throwing 24. He also had 2 prior days off and will be off Saturday.

Don't think there will be any issue with using him tomorrow if needed.

If anyone has or finds audio of Uecker on Yelich's home run and/or (especially) the walk-off call, can you please post it?

Ueck wasn't on the call for the walk off

Nor yelich's homer I believe.

Right, Ueck calls 1-2, 5-6 and 8-9 and in extras he's usually gone until the 12th. Yelich's HR was in the 3d and the walkoff was in 10 so he didn't call either. He called the top of the 9th though!

I just have to say that using Santana early to PH was not a big issue here.

Totally. This idea that he burned his best PH at a bad time is ridiculous. Any inning can be a rally and the top of the order was coming up. And just because Santana has been good/lucky in a very limited sample lately doesn't mean he's all of a sudden good again. Complaining about that move is like talking trash to Michael Jordan when he misses a shot. All the Pete Myers here need to watch their mouths a little more.

Counsel is taking plenty of heat right if they lose this game. Each manager managed their game and it came down to a walk off in extras. It isn't that far apart and CC made his share of questionable decisions.

If your definition of a questionable decision is one that might not work out, then sure. But the difference between managers was stark today and it was the players who nearly blew it. Colorado did obviously stupid stuff like bringing in an LHP for Yelich/Braun and pitching to Moose. I don't even want to know what some people think CC did that was a bad gamble (as opposed to just guessing wrong a few times) because I don't want to work with a headache all day.

Anyone have a heads up to any stream online for today (many thanks to whoever posted the link for 163) as us out of state and no cable folks need our fix too :)

It is too late for this season but if you know anyone in Wisconsin who gets Fox Sports WI purchase a Sling Box, an extra cable box and install these in their home and then you can stream all of those games over the internet anywhere in the world in 2019. If you get a Roku or Fire TV you can then have the stream go directly to your TV.

http://www.slingbox.com/

Bullpen game sounds odd to start a playoff series, but it makes a lot of sense.

1) It plays to the strength of the team.

2) Pitchers are usually most effective the first time through a lineup.

3) Using a PH pretty much every time the pitchers spot come up is like getting a DH in the lineup against one without.

4) The days off keep the bullpen from being burned out in a series.

The Brewers have taken the lessons of the 2011 Cards and the 2015 Royals and extended them. Plus added creative use of the lineup to maximize offense, while making extensive use of shifting to minimize the defensive liability of having someone like Shaw at 2nd. It's not traditional, but Septembers results say it's effective.

Another thing one of the announcers on FS1 pointed out that I didn't consider is each time a Rockies batter comes up to bat they have to face a different pitcher. Often when batters face a pitcher the second and/or third time around they have a better idea of the pitchers' stuff. As Joe Girardi said on the MLB Network after the game you can't do this every day but with all the days off in these kinds of series you can do this every once in a while.

Who would have guessed even as recently as Sept 1 that Woodruff would be starting the playoff opener and Chase wouldn't make the cut. Maybe a changing of the guard in the rotation and they will be building it around Peralta, Burnes and Woodruff next year. I know it's a lot about matchups and maybe even more the recent results but it is still stunning to see Chase and Davies left off. 55 minutes to go!!!

I am certain I saw Chase in the dugout last night...

Did front row Amy dye her hair black, or is this a new clevage showing person in the front row?

Isn't she a brunette? Perhaps it was her low cut white top? She loves to show off her "assets" but I gotta hand it to her - she really pays attention to the games and scores every pitch.

I have to question that move. Take out Woodruff who was cruising, to use your best pinch hitter with no one on base?

Don't like that at all...

I was thinking the same thing on using Santana with nobody on...

I dislike Schoop’s approach. He doesn’t get around on an average, early in the count fastball, and then he gets ahead in the count and swings at a pitch on the low, outside corner. Yuni-esque.

How in the hell did he go from AL player of the week to this? :(

Come on Aguilar, not a good AB.

That strike call was a joke. This umpire has been all over the place all game (both for and against us)

Yeah, that's gotta be insanely difficult for the hitters. I mean, if the ump is calling an inch or two off the plate, you can adapt a bit as long as he's doing it the full game. When he's calling it a strike one time, then a ball the next three, then a strike the next two, then no one knows what to do.

I don't want to see that ump again behind the plate this postseason. :tongue

[sarcasm]Glad to have the lead going into the ninth, it's too bad Jeremy Jeffress retired from baseball and is living in South America according to Bfan.net[/sarcasm]

JJ had a poor outing yesterday so let's hope he got it out of his system for the rest of this series.

Archived