Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-04 (NLDS Game #1): Rockies (Senzatela) at Brewers (Woodruff/Bullpen) 4:07 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-2 in 10 Innings -- Blown Save in 9th; Moustakas Walk-Off Hit in 10th]

Eye Black
If each of the five games is tied after 5 innings, could Soria, Knebel, Hader, and Jeffress each pitch one inning in all 5 games, given there are two days off? This would mean the only real decision making is how to get through the first five innings.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ticket prices are still falling. Hope we don’t see a bunch of open seats.

I'm a bit concerned too. It's a game time thing, I had to unload my 4 tickets solely due to game time. If it was at 7, I easily could have attended and found 3 other people wanting to go. I can't imagine there will be too many empty seats. And Friday will for sure sell out, much easier to take a half day on a Friday than Thursday.

I'm thinking a lot of Cub fan bought up tickets thinking they would be in this series. All of those fans are trying to unload them now. Watching those prices drop is just adding insult to their injury.

I had extras to both games. I initially listed them all at obscene prices, knowing they wouldn't be sold, because I wasn't sure I would sell them and I just wanted to have the listings active if/when I needed to sell them and not putz with barcodes. Except someone bought a pair at that obscene price just before the Wild Card game, which shocked me. It had to be the Cubs. Yesterday, I priced the rest of my spares waaaay below what the market was and sold them right away. I'm glad I did that, because they've plunged since then.

I think today will be packed. At some point people need to recoup something and they will list them for peanuts because it's better than zilch.

I was in the same boat as people thinking Peralta would be the "opener" in one of the Colorado games. If they have him throw a few innings today, he could still come back and throw in game 4. That would seem to line up well. His fastball percentage just plays too well in CO to not have him throw there.

I was in the same boat as people thinking Peralta would be the "opener" in one of the Colorado games. If they have him throw a few innings today, he could still come back and throw in game 4. That would seem to line up well. His fastball percentage just plays too well in CO to not have him throw there.

Peralta is the likely initial out getter in Colorado for game 3.

If each of the five games is tied after 5 innings, could Soria, Knebel, Hader, and Jeffress each pitch one inning in all 5 games, given there are two days off? This would mean the only real decision making is how to get through the first five innings.

Yes for Soria, Knebel, and Jeffress. Maybe on Hader. For whatever reason he seems to either need or just really like days in between outings. Just blow them out today and don't worry about it.

There might be a few open seats but it won’t be noticeable. That’s why they do the day games—enough people make it happen.

I would be surprised if we ran into this again at any point during the playoffs. Tomorrow's game is Friday, it's easier to make happen and ticket prices tell you it will probably sell out. Any potential game 5 will also surely sell out no matter when it is. NLCS would be all fridays and saturdays, which also lends to our potential opponent traveling. And WS will obviously sell out, especially if a Red Sox or Yankees makes it.

I don't like this at all..I hope Counsell knows what he's doing here..this whole "bullpen" thing could totally blow up in his face..Why burn through arms the very first game?? It's likely you will need them game 2 as well. What if it's 1-0 through 5 and you then turn it over to Knebel, Soria, Hader, Jeffress?? That's fine if you win the game, but then how many of those guys can come back for game 2?? Hader for sure can't. Just throw Miley..He hasn't allowed more than 3 ER in a start this season..how can you NOT have confidence in him?? Seems to me that with this "strategy" neither Gio nor Miley will get a start in this series now.

Miley is a terrible matchup for the Rockies' lineup. They have solid long relief options like Guerra and Burnes. It's fine. The only things I'm worried about are keeping two veteran LHP starters as relievers and using Chacin on 3 days rest. I give Chacin the benefit of the doubt and you're kind of stuck there because you want to use him before you go to Coors, but keeping Gio, Miley, and a 14th hitter is a big gamble.

I'm just thinking about how all year lots of us (me included) were wondering what the heck this team was doing with Woodruff. It was like, why not just let the guy start rather than moving him back and forth between starting and the bullpen.

Now, I'm wondering if something like this wasn't the plan all along. Maybe that's giving Stearns/CC/et al too much credit, but I can't help but wonder if the whole organizational philosophy is just to find a whole lot of guys that can give you 6 or so quality outs and pair them with a few reliable, consistent SPs.

For the lineup today, I'm going to guess:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Aguilar

Moustakas

Kratz

Arcia

I firmly believe it should be Pina today, not Kratz. I just get the sense CC will put Kratz in because he's a grizzled vet...or something. The Rockies have basically 2 guys that steal a substantial amount, Story and Desmond. That's enough for me to want to play the better arm. I would normally go Schoop here, but Arcia has been hitting so well I think he definitely should be starting virtually every day.

I don't like this at all..I hope Counsell knows what he's doing here..this whole "bullpen" thing could totally blow up in his face..Why burn through arms the very first game?? It's likely you will need them game 2 as well. What if it's 1-0 through 5 and you then turn it over to Knebel, Soria, Hader, Jeffress?? That's fine if you win the game, but then how many of those guys can come back for game 2?? Hader for sure can't. Just throw Miley..He hasn't allowed more than 3 ER in a start this season..how can you NOT have confidence in him?? Seems to me that with this "strategy" neither Gio nor Miley will get a start in this series now.

Miley is a terrible matchup for the Rockies' lineup. They have solid long relief options like Guerra and Burnes. It's fine. The only things I'm worried about are keeping two veteran LHP starters as relievers and using Chacin on 3 days rest. I give Chacin the benefit of the doubt and you're kind of stuck there because you want to use him before you go to Coors, but keeping Gio, Miley, and a 14th hitter is a big gamble.

While I get that, he is also a very good fit for Coors field due to the ground balls. So kind of combatting info to deal with in the decision process. With Chacin going tomorrow along with them knowing they probably are going to need some 4-5 inning appearances at some point, I'm guessing they're going to go with Miley to start (or be the longest use P even if he's second up) and hope he can get a bunch of grounders. Then guess Peralta as the 'starter' in the other Coors game. This evolution of starting pitching is going to be interesting the next few years.

Another thing to note generally in regards to the thoughts of 'this could really blow up in Counsel's face, he's overthinking,' etc type of views and that he'll get crucified if it doesn't work. Well, that's really only the case because it's forward thinking. How would giving up 5 runs in 4 innings with this strategy be any different than if he started a normal starter who did the same thing. The only difference is that's the way it's always been, generally speaking just because something hasn't been done before isn't a reason not to do it. And a manger shouldn't avoid doing something just to eliminate chances of himself being criticized. Think of the Marcum example, wouldn't it have been to think outside the box instead of trotting him out there in the 2011 playoffs when he was done.

Another thing to note generally in regards to the thoughts of 'this could really blow up in Counsel's face, he's overthinking,' etc type of views and that he'll get crucified if it doesn't work. Well, that's really only the case because it's forward thinking. How would giving up 5 runs in 4 innings with this strategy be any different than if he started a normal starter who did the same thing. The only difference is that's the way it's always been, generally speaking just because something hasn't been done before isn't a reason not to do it. And a manger shouldn't avoid doing something just to eliminate chances of himself being criticized. Think of the Marcum example, wouldn't it have been to think outside the box instead of trotting him out there in the 2011 playoffs when he was done.

Yeah, I'm very prone to getting out of hand over some cliched statements and this would be one of them.

I already had a few water cooler discussions of, "the A's got too cute last night" with some people that don't even do critical thinking and consider the fact that any mediocre starting pitcher is also liable to give up that same offensive output against the Yankees.

We sure have come a long way from starting Jeff Suppan in an elimination game.

Not comparing the two pitchers, but throwback jerseys being worn today remind me of the 1981 ALDS against the Yankees in County Stadium. Mike Caldwell went all 9 against the Bronx Bombers. Times have changed in many ways.

Anyone have a heads up to any stream online for today (many thanks to whoever posted the link for 163) as us out of state and no cable folks need our fix too :)

r/mlbstreams on reddit

helps to use Google Chrome with adblock on but you should be able to find a solid stream on there

many thanks good sir

Archived