Brewer Fanatic

Rockies Series - Keys / Observations

fondybrewfan
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With reduced roster, I don't think they have quite the lee-way to do a 1 batter start, especially when their leadoff hitter, though good, isn't their most feared hitter.

That's a good point. The initial out-getter is probably someone they'll be looking to get 3-4 innings from. Blackmon is 0-6 with 4K vs Peralta, cough cough.

Still hoping for Peralta, the Rockies have a right handed heavy lineup. And we all know what he did against them last time.

This is probably the winner.

I'd guess you lock in Peralta for innings 1-4 in game 3. Hard to deny that his fastball-heavy repertoire would be best for a Coors Field game.

Still hoping for Peralta, the Rockies have a right handed heavy lineup. And we all know what he did against them last time.

This is probably the winner.

I'd guess you lock in Peralta for innings 1-4 in game 3. Hard to deny that his fastball-heavy repertoire would be best for a Coors Field game.

Absolutely. Fastballs with movement are perfect for Coors. No way they should use him today. Then you might have to use guys who aren't suited to Coors on Sunday and Monday. That would be foolish.

I'd start Burnes today. Use Miley, Jennings, and Cedeno against LHB's if the right situation arises. That's if Miley is even on the roster. I won't scream bloody murder if Chase or Davies pitches a few innings, but it's not my preference to use a roster spot on either of them.

Very clever pitching decisions on the Brewers part for the NLDS. Instead of having Chacin pitch in just one game (Sunday) for 5-6 innings they are going to use him twice for probably 3-4 innings each time. That is the same amount of innings or more and you imagine not facing the line up a third time would make them higher quality appearances.

The Brewers key to the entire postseason isn't the offense or the elite bullpen arms. Jeffress, Knebel, and Hader are going to do their job. The key is the guys like Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta. If these guys can pitch lights out in October it is going to be very hard to beat us in a series. If those guys falter...we will be home in a hurry.

Our insane quality pitching depth that can go 2+ innings is something no other team can match. It will make line-ups tough to plan for us and cycling a new dominate pitcher in every 2-3 innings will keep hitters off balance. We basically can do what teams love to do in Game 7 situations, but multiple times because we have the depth to do it. It is like going all in...but early on in the series. Our pitching can put the other teams in a 0-2 series hole really fast...that is the key.

Story's numbers against the Crew this year scare the bejeezus out of me. Do not let that guy beat you.

He is Javy Baez light.

Pitch him low, away, and then high gas... he will be powering his own small country.

Hang garbage to him he will hit it on to Miller Park Way.

Arenado is a stud, but also can be coaxed into outs (especially on the road).

Note on Chacin too is that he only through like 78 pitches on Monday. so he was a short start before the short rest. And really you're probbably only shooting for 5 innings and 80ish pitches anyway. Another thing we'll have to get used to in this starting pitching evolution.

Miley penciled in for Game 3, but I would rather go with a Freddy/Guerra tandem and let Miley start Game 4 if needed.

True, Miley is a groundball pitcher, but he gives up a lot of contact (bad in Coors), the Rockies have decimated LHP at home (bad for Miley), and the Rockies as a team have feasted on cutters this season (bad for Miley's best pitch). They've been the best team in baseball by a substantial margin against the cutter.

This is probably a minority but I'd like to see them go with Broxton in right Sunday and Braun at first. We need our best defensive outfield for these Coors' games.

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Perez

Moose

Pina

Broxton

Peralta (hopefully we don't start Miley.. but i'll eat my words if he does well)

Granted I think they'll stay the course and go

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Aguilar

Moose

Kratz

Arcia

Miley

Why not have granderson start in left

And have braun at first although Aguilar

Might crush in Coors field

Also put granderson at leadoff and get 2 walks and a single

Because Granderson isn't a good outfielder anymore.

I wouldn't take Aguilar's bat out of the lineup. I know he's been struggling, but it's a huge dropoff from Aguilar to Broxton (or Schoop if you go Shaw at 1st). Braun is fine in LF, plus Cain covers a hell of a lot of ground.

Yeah I don't think you can bench Aguilar. We're struggling to score as it is. I know he's been scuffling but I think you have to ride the bats that got you here.

I agree. Ride the bats that got you here.

Aguilar last 7 games: 286/355/500/855

Last 15: 309/377/564/941

Last 30: 269/325/481/806

Ride it out and let’s just see what he does in Colorado.

Yeah I can’t see how starting Broxton makes sense. Play the guys that got you here.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I know it is a small sample size, but it seems like Moustakas has had some great swings so far in the first two games of the NLDS. In addition to his three hits, his line out yesterday was an impressive 108-mph off the bat. He also didn’t strike out in either game. I like having him near the middle of the order right now, and wouldn’t hate seeing him remain ahead of Shaw for the game on Sunday.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Saw some questions about Kratz's framing in the IGT last night so I checked the available framing metrics I'm aware of which had him ranked 8th (Baseball Prospectus) & 19th (StatCorner) among MLB backstops.

I'm surprise to learn that Kratz was in the 2014 Royal's 25-man world series roster with Cain and Moustakas. Kratz was the backup catcher, but unfortunately he didn't get to play and they lost to the Giants.

Kratz has turned out to be another great low-cost acquisition by Stearns.

Saw some questions about Kratz's framing in the IGT last night so I checked the available framing metrics I'm aware of which had him ranked 8th (Baseball Prospectus) & 19th (StatCorner) among MLB backstops.

I’m suprised his framing method of just moving it 6 inches towards the middle of the plate like a high school catcher could ever work

Aguilar looks fatigued. Wouldn't hurt to lose some baby fat in hopes of staying strong all year next year. He's still hitting okay, but below average for a lumbering 1B over the last month or so. However, Braun's inexperience at 1B could be an issue with a GB pitcher on the mound. Keon does have a 1.098 OPS at Coors, but Aguilar mashes there too and it's not like Braun is a slow LF or anything. Also, Keon's OPS at Colorado Springs was awful this year. I think you're more likely to see Hernan or Granderson in the outfield if Braun plays at 1B at all this series, but honestly I think they've abandoned the idea of using him there until further notice.

Archived