Brewer Fanatic

Paul Molitor Relieved of Coaching Duties

RollieTime

Paul Molitor has been relieved of his coaching duties by the Twins and will be searching for a new manager.

I wonder if Molitor would have any interest in returning to Milwaukee as a hitting coach. I feel that the type of hitter that Molitor was is similar to what Stearns is looking for from the Brewers hitters. I personally would love to have Molitor as a hitting coach going into next season if he has any interest in becoming a hitting coach.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone will snatch him up if he has interest in still being a manager.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

My guess is the Blue Jays grab him if he's interested. That would be a decent fit.

Its possible. While Paul has a link to the BlueJays by being a player, he doesn't have a link to the leadership of Shapiro or Adkins.

Let's not forget that Derek Fawley (the Twins head guy) came from Cleveland & has close ties to Shapiro & Adkins...

My guess is the Blue Jays grab him if he's interested. That would be a decent fit.

Him as a Blue Jay still is cringe worthy to this day. Granted i was only 9 when that happened.. but... still... BARF

Not Sal Bando's finest moment. Those mid-90s Brewer teams were an absolute mess.

When we were trotting out Steve Sparks as an ace... we may have had a problem! And every trade they made when they sent players away (Sheffield, Vaughn, etc) we clearly showed that as far as prospecting we stunk at that as well.... haha. Marc NEW-FIELD of dreams.... more like nightmares.

Surprised they did this unless there some butting heads with management going on. Based on the rosters he's had he's done fine. Slight disappointment this year but somewhat not his fault with the starting pitchers they acquired not doing so hot. And it's not like they're all of a sudden going to be contenders so why not give him another year instead of paying two managers.

Personally I've been for letting our hitting coach go after this year so he'd be a clear target as a replacement if he's up for it, but I strongly doubt he'd be interested.

Surprised they did this unless there some butting heads with management going on. Based on the rosters he's had he's done fine. Slight disappointment this year but somewhat not his fault with the starting pitchers they acquired not doing so hot. And it's not like they're all of a sudden going to be contenders so why not give him another year instead of paying two managers.

Personally I've been for letting our hitting coach go after this year so he'd be a clear target as a replacement if he's up for it, but I strongly doubt he'd be interested.

Twins got a new GM and director of baseball ops during the 2016 offseason - who were told by the Twins owner that Molitor will be the manager for at least one more season - the Twins then drastically overperformed in 2017 and got a wild card berth, earning Molitor sort of a contract extension that still had a reasonable buy-out. Took a big step backwards this year through no fault of Molitor, so now it's time for the Twins' baseball people to go out and bring in "their guy" to be manager.

Him as a Blue Jay still is cringe worthy to this day. Granted i was only 9 when that happened.. but... still... BARF

This was when I too lost my sports innocence. I remember I'd read the sports section in 2nd grade and read about Reggie and him visiting the Browns and it was just a given to me that he'd come to GB. And of course Molly would stay. It's one of those, "I can remember where I was when that happened" moments. Staying over at my Grandparents from watching SOME sporting event the night before getting ready for 2nd grade. I was devastated. My B-Day is the 4th, lucky number is 4...and we have the same first name. He was my hero.

Only later did I learn the Brewers screwed up and didn't leave him a lot of a decicions.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't want to get into a huge argument about this, but he was a 36yr-old DH. The issue wasn't that they didn't retain him, but that you didn't get anything in return. Probably should have dealt him in '91 for some real prospects and the early 90's would have been far better.

Of course, he went on to have 5 more excellent seasons. Not sure any of you think Braun will do the same...

I don't want to get into a huge argument about this, but he was a 36yr-old DH. The issue wasn't that they didn't retain him, but that you didn't get anything in return. Probably should have dealt him in '91 for some real prospects and the early 90's would have been far better.

Of course, he went on to have 5 more excellent seasons. Not sure any of you think Braun will do the same...

You can't look at it through today's lenses. You cited classic 2018 thinking. 25 years ago, that's not how teams did it.

Mollie had a killer year in '92 and they offered him a $1M deal after he'd just made $3M-ish (famous Bando quote: "Only a DH.") Robin had another poor-ish year in '92 (check out how mediocre-to-poor his last 4 years got) and they offered him a raise. Bando was a total idiot.

Back on topic.... The talk up here all day has been all about Falvey & Levine bringing in a "their guy" manager. Not ever wunderkind brainy young GM is going to be successful. Molitor still has a ton more cred in my book and this was a totally boneheaded move. Falvey & Levine haven't exactly built up a resume of awesome Twins moves in their 2 years here. I think much more of this year's failure is on them than any coach or Mollie. But they've been determined to can Molitor and finally did. And it distracts the casual fan from their lack of good moves. I do root for the Twins (nowhere near like how I root for the Brewers) but I hope this backfires on them badly. What a poor & short-sighted decision!

I didn't feel that Molitor did anything special in 2017 with that team, it just played way over its collective head. I don't have a big issue with this. He probably didn't deserve to get relieved of duty but I can't say he did anything that made him untouchable either.

This was when I too lost my sports innocence. I remember I'd read the sports section in 2nd grade and read about Reggie and him visiting the Browns and it was just a given to me that he'd come to GB. And of course Molly would stay. It's one of those, "I can remember where I was when that happened" moments. Staying over at my Grandparents from watching SOME sporting event the night before getting ready for 2nd grade. I was devastated. My B-Day is the 4th, lucky number is 4...and we have the same first name. He was my hero.

Only later did I learn the Brewers screwed up and didn't leave him a lot of a decicions.

Not exactly my sport innocence was lost, because I was a grown man, but Molitor was my favorite player. I remember thinking being disappointed in him, and then found out he got offered 2yr/13 million from the Blue Jays, and I think I recall the Brewers offering him 1yr/2mil. I was ready to help pack his moving truck at that point. Brewers really did screw up.

His contract with Toronto was 3yrs 12.175 million. I have no idea what the Brewers offered, but it doesn't matter. They decided to move on from a guy that was 36 and played only DH. That is not a dumb decision in any way other than the fact that Molly went on to have a great end of his career.

If the Brewers decided to offer that type of deal to Braun (if his deal was up this off-season) this board would blow up. Again the issue was not in letting him go but that they need to replenish the organization for losing his services. You can't afford to have HOF type players play their entire career in a small market more than one at a time. We should have traded Molitor and we should have traded Prince. I remember when we could have had Bumgarner, man that would have been sweet.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but the Brewers did put up with years of injuries and drug use from Molitor. A lot of people say that the Brewers owed Molitor, but in reality, Molitor owed the Brewers for putting up with the nonsense.

Molly was great when he played, but did spend a lot of time hurt.

I've always had mixed feelings on him and his split from the Brewers. I don't think it was all on the Brewers. He could have shown some thanks towards the Brewers for dealing with his addictions and injuries.

It was a two way street imo.

I'm ready for the hate from brewernation, but that's how I feel.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but the Brewers did put up with years of injuries and drug use from Molitor. A lot of people say that the Brewers owed Molitor, but in reality, Molitor owed the Brewers for putting up with the nonsense.

I've always had mixed feelings on him and his split from the Brewers. I don't think it was all on the Brewers. He could have shown some thanks towards the Brewers for dealing with his addictions and injuries.

I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out his negatives as long as they don't blind someone from the positives. Humans struggle in every career path.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out his negatives as long as they don't blind someone from the positives. Humans struggle in every career path.

For sure, like I said, he was great when he was great!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I didn't feel that Molitor did anything special in 2017 with that team, it just played way over its collective head. I don't have a big issue with this. He probably didn't deserve to get relieved of duty but I can't say he did anything that made him untouchable either.

I think he was no worse than Counsell was in 2017. Maybe Counsell had more underlying talent or a more astute GM. but the in-game moves were Molitor's.

I'd like to see him come to Milwaukee as a bench coach/hitting coach. 25+ years is too long. Stearns can make right what Bando did wrong.

Molitor (or any other player) didn't owe the Brewers (or any other team) anything at that point.

His salary had already been artificially supressed for multiple seasons by the owners colluding to not sign each other's free agents from 1985-87.

Archived