Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-01 (Game 163): Brewers (Chacín) at Cubs (Quintana) 12:05 PM CDT [Brewers win 3-1; 2018 NL Central Champs!]

Eye Black
That Cubs lineup is just brutal. Powerhouse.

Agreed. Though this is definitely offense-first from them today. Unless I am wrong, Murphy grades out bad at 2nd and Heyward is much better in the corners. Schwarber has good metrics, but we have seen our share of goofs. Baez makes up for a lot on the infield. We will see.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m on board with going with Chacin. There is more at stake in this game - advancing past wild card game AND home field throughout the NL playoffs. Also we are hot and the Cubs have to feel the pressure of us relentlessly gaining on them for a month.

Don’t play it safe, run it into the line and then punt. Throw for a first down and win the game right now. Let’s goooooooo!

I am not Shea Vucinich

Brewers game notes say Chacin is getting the ball today.

Makes me wonder what all the secrecy was about. They must have been weighing what they would do tomorrow if they have to play.

I get it. It was probably an agonizing decision as you need to weigh doing a bullpen game today and saving Chacin for tomorrow or this.

Since they are burning Chacin today, they really need to be committed to it because they cannot blow out their pen and come out with a loss today. You need 5, preferably 6 out of Chacin. If you fall behind considerably, you'll have to have him eat it as long as possible and maybe piggyback Peralta or Chase to save everyone else for tomorrow.

The Brewers come in with all the confidence of being the hottest team in baseball. This is a team that went down to St. Louis and swept a Cardinal team that was primed for a playoff spot. They exorcized their demons against the Pirates in the series before that. They've taken four of 6 in the last two Cubs series, and probably should have taken all 6. If the team that has been around since the middle of August shows up today, they will win.

I like the decision to stick with a normal, traditional starter in today's game. Bottom line is that this is not an elimination game, but the next game might be. As much as I'd absolutely love for the Brewers to win the division, Counsell not only has to manage for this game but for beyond this game as well. It would be a shame if the Brewers "bullpen'ed" this game and lost a close one, and Counsell ended up using all the best relievers for multiple innings which could leave them shorthanded for the following elimination game. Hopefully we'll get a solid 6+ from Chacin today.

Despite their woes against Quintana, I feel pretty good about this game today.

Win or lose, I refuse to get mad at this team today. What a treat they have been. Hoping like hell that they can pull this off!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Brewers come in with all the confidence of being the hottest team in baseball. This is a team that went down to St. Louis and swept a Cardinal team that was primed for a playoff spot. They exorcized their demons against the Pirates in the series before that. They've taken four of 6 in the last two Cubs series, and probably should have taken all 6. If the team that has been around since the middle of August shows up today, they will win.

So the Cubs win..........because baseball?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I think it comes down to Braun, Aguilar, and Schoop. Maddon will be very careful pitching to Yeli, so chances are Braun and Aguilar will have chances with at least one guy on. They need to make the Cubs pay when they pitch around Yelich.

Also, really hoping this is Schoop's moment and he goes off today.

I think it comes down to Braun, Aguilar, and Schoop. Maddon will be very careful pitching to Yeli, so chances are Braun and Aguilar will have chances with at least one guy on. They need to make the Cubs pay when they pitch around Yelich.

Also, really hoping this is Schoop's moment and he goes off today.

I don't care what Schoop did otherwise. If he combines the grand slam he hit of MadBum with a great day today, I'm chalking that trade down as a win.

So the Cubs win..........because baseball?

50/50 ... maybe 51/49 in the Brewers' favor LOL

I wasn't nervous at all for the past week, since the WC was pretty much secured barring a complete collapse, and I saw winning the division as so unlikely that I wasn't too concerned with it; great if it happens, but I didn't really get my hopes up. That, and a faith in this team I've never had before. Much of it Christian Yelich, but whenever the team was in need of a big inning I felt that they'd pull it off. And they usually did.

But today I can barely sit still. The division hope is so real and palpable. And the difference between winning today (and going to the NLDS with home field advantage through the NLDS and NLCS) and losing (WC game with likely a depleted bullpen, and no home field advantage until an eventual WS against the Indians) is so big. So going with Chacin is 100% correct. Keep tomorrow in mind to some extent, try not to blow the entire bullpen of course, and keep a couple late-inning guys and a Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes or two ready, but essentially focus on today and for the most part worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

One can also either look at Quintana being good vs the Brewers and Yelich not being great against the Cubs as something to worry about, or to say that's due to change, or chalk it down to randomness. I alternate between the three constantly.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/09/30/cubs-brewers-nl-central-division-title/1482791002/

Such a weird story. "We're obviously the favorites, but you should feel sorry for us anyway." Bob Nightengale sucks.

It's almost like Maddon and the Cubs are annoyed that they have to play this game. Like they should be crowned champs already. Well, Joe if your offense wouldn't have taken a vacation in two against the Pirates last week, and against Mikolas on Saturday, you wouldn't be playing this game.

After reading that, I hope the Brewers crush them 14-0.

I read that last night and it made me sick. "We shouldn't have to do this." What a whiner. On another forum I saw them all complaining about the unfairness of the schedule, and how they'd have 110 wins if no one was injured.

They're the only team that had anybody get hurt this year. I usually am logical and dismiss that an entire class of fans can act a certain way, but I truly despise the vast majority of their fans. I think it's that they have this arrogance of Boston or New York without virtually ANY of the winning.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/09/30/cubs-brewers-nl-central-division-title/1482791002/

Such a weird story. "We're obviously the favorites, but you should feel sorry for us anyway." Bob Nightengale sucks.

It's almost like Maddon and the Cubs are annoyed that they have to play this game. Like they should be crowned champs already. Well, Joe if your offense wouldn't have taken a vacation in two against the Pirates last week, and against Mikolas on Saturday, you wouldn't be playing this game.

After reading that, I hope the Brewers crush them 14-0.

Screw those guys. My god. They act like they are the only team who has had injuries, slumps, shortcomings, etc. They, all year, expected it to be handed to them. I am so glad we are putting them in this position now. Let alone, going to get er done today! LETS GOOOOOO! Shut these clowns up for a few days!

They are just mad they won 95 games and didn't win the division with ease. That is what happens to spoiled kids after a few years of success. I hope the attitudes prior to this game translate when the players take the field. Cubs feel entitled...time to rain on that parade.

The first few innings are going to be huge. I could see either team using their "B Team" relievers if they are faced with an early deficit, saving the "A Team" for a potential elimination game the next day. Here's to hoping the Brewers can figure out Quintana!

Archived