Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-01 (Game 163): Brewers (Chacín) at Cubs (Quintana) 12:05 PM CDT [Brewers win 3-1; 2018 NL Central Champs!]

Eye Black
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the physiological signs of anxiety and it's not yet 9am. Increased heart rate, pacing the halls, etc.

It's been like this for a week now haha and yet this is even worse today. THANKFULLY we only have to wait a few hours for what is to happen!

I would be much more comfortable with Chase pitching extended innings today over Peralta. Peralta has pretty drastic LH/RH splits and the Cubs have enough lefty bats that chances are he wouldn't face 2 RH bats in a row anyways. Cubs are not a good matchup for Peralta at all, IMO.

I would probably just roll with Chase on a very short leash. Could very well turn into a bullpen game right away if Chase isn't sharp. I guess you could start Jennings, but I'm not that confident he could get Murphy and Zobrist out.

Do you guys think he would even go as far as waiting to see what happens in the top of the first inning before going with option A or B or C ? Put a dummie holder in the 9-hole, somebody who wouldnt pitch for sure (like Gio).... Just curious HOW FLUID the situation is.

Staying home tomorrow and watching in our living room. Letting my kid stay home from school to watch it, too. He is a hardcore die hard Brewers fan. He's 15 years old, he doesn't remember the 2008 season as he was just 5 years old. 2009 is the first season he remembers. To him, 2011 was the only Brewers postseason of his life.

School is important. Baseball is importanter.

My in-laws are doing the same with my nieces, OTOH they are home schooled.

Do you guys think he would even go as far as waiting to see what happens in the top of the first inning before going with option A or B or C ? Put a dummie holder in the 9-hole, somebody who wouldnt pitch for sure (like Gio).... Just curious HOW FLUID the situation is.

Whomever is listed as the starting pitcher on the lineup has to face at least one batter. I don't know what the penalty would be if he doesn't but that's the rules.

Not sure I like that. Now there's no chance he has 4 days rest for game 1 or 2 of a potential series, not to mention the obvious fact that he won't be able to pitch tomorrow if necessary either. It's really hard to settle on a right answer though. You want to save guys for tomorrow but you don't need to if you win today. I kind of like the uncertainty and tension of this game within a game.

Official:

Cain - CF

Yelich - RF

Braun - LF

Aguilar - 1B

Schoop - 2B

Moustakas - 3B

Kratz - C

Arcia - SS

Chacin - P

The typical "facing a lefty" lineup. I hope Schoop proves Counsell's faith in him correct today.

I like this. Mixing the D and the O.

LETS GOOOOOOOO.

Official:

Cain - CF

Yelich - RF

Braun - LF

Aguilar - 1B

Schoop - 2B

Moustakas - 3B

Kratz - C

Arcia - SS

Chacin - P

The typical "facing a lefty" lineup. I hope Schoop proves Counsell's faith in him correct today.

LETS GOOOOOOOO.

I'm actually a little surprised Perez isn't in the lineup somewhere. He seems to have gotten all the starts against lefties lately. Betting he'll be the first bat off the bench, though.

Official:

Cain - CF

Yelich - RF

Braun - LF

Aguilar - 1B

Schoop - 2B

Moustakas - 3B

Kratz - C

Arcia - SS

Chacin - P

LETS GOOOOOOOO.

I'm actually a little surprised Perez isn't in the lineup somewhere. He seems to have gotten all the starts against lefties lately. Betting he'll be the first bat off the bench, though.

I'm ducking as I type this - but Arcia has been better lately.... and his D will be needed today.

I like that Chacin is going today, it seems they want to go for the jugular here and have 2 days off. I respect that. Not that we won't have a chance tomorrow no matter what, even if today goes south. Remember whoever loses the west today, is playing a similar game, and has to travel cross country as well. Might as well go for it today for the Brew Crew. Because.... WHY NOT?!

About what you'd expect for the lineup.

Aggressive move to start Chacin. Would have preferred Anderson with his good numbers against the Cubs today and Chacin tomorrow. Bullpen game tomorrow with the 25 man roster or home run prone Anderson starting against the Dodgers/Rockies lineup scares me. On the other hand, if we're playing to win today it's the call you'd make.

Aggressive move to start Chacin. Would have preferred Anderson with his good numbers against the Cubs today and Chacin tomorrow. Bullpen game tomorrow with the 25 man roster or home run prone Anderson starting against the Dodgers/Rockies lineup scares me. On the other hand, if we're playing to win today it's the call you'd make.

With the lineup they are putting out there, and with Chacin starting, it proves they are all-in for this game. If you lose, pick up the pieces and figure it out for tomorrow. Thankfully they can mess around with the roster between the Wild Card and NLDS if it comes to that.

If the Brewers get out to a lead, it'll be all hands on deck bullpen wise. If they get down early, though, I imagine we may see the Bullpen B Team. Biggest thing today is going to be to either get to Quintana early with a crooked number, or be patient with him and get that pitch count up. The earlier they can get to that gassed bullpen, the better.

https://tenor.com/view/bold-strategy-dodgeball-cotton-strategy-tactics-gif-4957668

I am surprissed Chacin gets the ball as well, but I get it. The Brewers are a bullpen team. The biggest thing you want going in to an elimination game from our side is a rested pen. If we weren't playing today, the WC plan would be to get 3-5 at most from Chacin. I imagine the thought process is that a hopeful 5-6 today is more valuable than 3-5 tomorrow. Plus, he is on regular rest and hasn't had Anderson's extended layoff. I think we will see a longer leash, but if he really struggles then you hope Peralta/Anderson can eat some innings. Man, how great would it be if our bargain bin FA pitcher gets 6 scoreless while Darvish rehabs and Quintana, the prospect capital bankrupter, lays a huge egg.

Let's do this! Go Brewers!

That Cubs lineup is just brutal. Powerhouse.

In September, overall, they have been brutal. Just looked back at their last month and woof. It looks like our July looked.

Get hot at the right time and good things can happen.

Just for once, baseball gods, can we have the good things happen to us? One thorn in our side down (Cards) , one to go!

Archived