Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-01 (Game 163): Brewers (Chacín) at Cubs (Quintana) 12:05 PM CDT [Brewers win 3-1; 2018 NL Central Champs!]

Eye Black

Went to all 3 games of Tigers series, too into the games to post, but enjoyed reading some of the comments after each game. Sort of feel like Ive been through all this with you guys all season, and for that matter many years going back to when Fielder and Weeks were playing A ball. So its weird, yet cool, to share this experience with people who are basically strangers.

I have a work commitment for this game I cant get out of, and will barely be able to check on the score. Win or lose, you can bet Ill check out this thread later!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were at today's game. What an atmosphere! Such a fun season, why not let's play one more!!!!

Staying home tomorrow and watching in our living room. Letting my kid stay home from school to watch it, too. He is a hardcore die hard Brewers fan. He's 15 years old, he doesn't remember the 2008 season as he was just 5 years old. 2009 is the first season he remembers. To him, 2011 was the only Brewers postseason of his life.

School is important. Baseball is importanter.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

We were at today's game. What an atmosphere! Such a fun season, why not let's play one more!!!!

Staying home tomorrow and watching in our living room. Letting my kid stay home from school to watch it, too. He is a hardcore die hard Brewers fan. He's 15 years old, he doesn't remember the 2008 season as he was just 5 years old. 2009 is the first season he remembers. To him, 2011 was the only Brewers postseason of his life.

I tend to support this but my daughter who asked to stay home I said no to because outside of win or go home playoff games she doesn't pay any attention to the team. I can support keeping a huge fan home but not one who doesn't really care for 95% of the season.

Community Moderator
The key to this game is getting to the Cubs bullpen ASAP. The Cubs are 5-1 against us this year when Quintana starts. We need to make this a bullpen game and play to our strengths.

I haven’t had a miller lite in years. I’m drinking them down in sunny Sahuarita, az tonight for the brewers tomorrow.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Sure would be nice to see a repeat of the one-game-for-the-division-title from '82, with a 12-1 laugher and our MVP candidate belting a pair of homers to seal the deal. On the road. Against a team that was favored to win.

I still remember that game like it was yesterday. I'd like to have that feeling renewed for the next 36 years, please.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The game starts at 1am and I will be asleep, hope to wake up to excellent news of a Brewers victory.

Go Brewers!! gotta win this game

Where are you?

Singapore

I am in Sweden, happy it’s a Noon start so I do t have to stay up until the middle of the night.

I have nothing more to add, but that’s awesome!

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I’ve already counted myself as useless for tomorrow . Going to be getting real sick about 1130 , likely need to head home for rest.

get well

Cough cough. Thank you.

Any concerned co workers in lieu of chicken noodle soup can send let’s goooooo’s our starting about noon today.

Quite possible even if Chacin “Starts” this game...he doesn’t actually get the first batter. Murphy is hitless vs. Cedono, 1-8 vs. Hader, and then there is Jennings who I’m not sure on.

Food for thought.

Yeah this feels like Counsell is waiting for Maddon’s lineup before he picks his starter. I think we’re getting a lefty “opener” either way, but especially if Maddon goes Murphy/Zobrist/Rizzo. My guess is Jennings since he did it just a few days ago.

I am not Shea Vucinich

What's the weather outlook for the game? I could look but I'm lazy.

Too wet/rainy to climb trees in Madison today.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.9472&lon=-87.6564#.W7IXAmhKg2w

A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 9am. Cloudy, with a high near 73. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I can't handle this. It would just be amazing if we come out with 6 runs in the first or something.

It is never that simple, not for us anyway.

I expect it to come down to the 9th inning, it can be no other way...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I can't handle this. It would just be amazing if we come out with 6 runs in the first or something.

I have a rare optimistic feeling about today. I just feel like the stars have aligned for us. All nonsense of course, but I just get a special feeling about this team. I don't sense impending doom that has defined my fandom but rather a great day in team history.

I kind of expect the Brewers to score 2-3 runs early, then the offense to go into hibernation while the Cubs try to claw their way back. They need to get over the mental block they've had against Quintana this year, and hang a crooked number on him. He's been a below-average pitcher against everyone but the Brewers this year.

Of course, he wasn't facing a hot-hitting Ryan Braun or the current "Tecmo Bo" version of Christian Yelich, though, either. Brauny did tag him for two dingers the one game they got to him this year.

I would feel fairly safe with Chase if I wasn't worried about him being rusty. His flyball repertoire should play well with the rangy Brewers outfield in a big ballpark with unfavorable winds. I know he gives up too many home runs, but he keeps you in ball games and can have great numbers when flyballs are staying in the park. I mentioned this in another thread, but we know that a big HR hitter with a bad OBP is not a good hitter; shouldn't it logically follow that a pitcher who gives up a lot of HR's with a low WHIP is not a bad pitcher?

I'd be nervous with Peralta. You can't be walking dudes so much, especially patient, disciplined hitters like the Cubs. I'd just save him for tomorrow or Thursday to be honest.

I'd be comfortable saving Chacin as well. You have to start Arcia with Chacin, but you can have less infield defense with the flyball pitcher starter. Although I'm not even sure Schoop is that much better than Arcia on offense anymore. I mean, what is wrong with him, seriously? He's worse than 2011 McGehee. I guess I'd be fine with starting Hernan and Arcia and letting Schoop PH once without coming into the game.

The Cubs will have a ton of LHP relievers available. They hardly used any LHP's against the Cardinals. Duensing, Wilson, Rosario, De La Rosa, and Garcia are all available. Though not all of them are very effective, that's something to watch because the Brewers will probably have a lot of LHB PH's due to starting RHB's against Quintana.

I feel like Peralta or Anderson is the play here - if it goes well you move into your stable of rested quality relievers. If it goes poorly you run out the pen arms who won't be on playoff rosters and roll with Chacin starting tomorrow.

I actually don't see today's game being close for some reason, but I don't have a feel for which team wins because they're so evenly matched - I think one team jumps out to a decent lead early and the other makes early pitching changes accordingly to keep key arms fresh for their wild card game. The takeaway from both of today's game 163s should be to stay set up reasonably well for their 1st playoff game. Because of that, early crooked numbers are huge.

Let's go Brewers!

Archived