Brewer Fanatic

2018-10-01 (Game 163): Brewers (Chacín) at Cubs (Quintana) 12:05 PM CDT [Brewers win 3-1; 2018 NL Central Champs!]

Eye Black
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully it’s a game where we eventually get to him and not a game where a pitcher settles in.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I will be following with gameday and Uek, so please inform us poor people "working" of what actually happens in the game.

I feel like our offense rarely take 2 turds in a row, so overall I am feeling good about at least playing on Thursday. Taking today in Wrigley would be so, so sweet though. Ideal situation is the winning run scoring on a Baez error.

Yelich is 1 HR, 2 RBI and 1 run away from leading the league in those categories.

Is there a name for leading the league in those 4 categories? Has it ever happened before?

Ted Williams did it in both of his triple crown seasons. Likely others as well

I checked on Saturday. About half of the TC winners led their league in runs.

You guys know Maddon is on the other side right? Any sign of struggle and Quintana will be out...pitch count meaningless since he won't give much of a leash. If we don't threaten...yup, he probably can go forever and it won't matter anyway.

I honestly expected the plan to be patient, work counts, and get to the pen as early as possible.

We are doing the complete opposite of that. Attacking early works if you actually get hits, but man, this is going to let Quintana go very deep into the game instead of getting to face a worn out pen.

The whole point of working the count is to get pitches you can hit hard. Sounds like that is what we are doing so who cares about the pitch count

Well, to get pitches you can hit hard and to get him out early so the tired / suspect cubs bullpen has to pitch earlier. If those hard hits don't fall, not accomplishing that second goal will hurt.

I honestly expected the plan to be patient, work counts, and get to the pen as early as possible.

We are doing the complete opposite of that. Attacking early works if you actually get hits, but man, this is going to let Quintana go very deep into the game instead of getting to face a worn out pen.

Not if they get through to him.

You guys know Maddon is on the other side right? Any sign of struggle and Quintana will be out...pitch count meaningless since he won't give much of a leash. If we don't threaten...yup, he probably can go forever and it won't matter anyway.

Their bullpen stinks and has been overworked. He'll get a longer leash than we think, especially if they fall behind.

I have no problem with the hitters' approach so far. Quintana is throwing strikes, doesn't seem to be fooling anyone. The first five hitters hit the ball well (except for Yelich, and he got on base). The next two just missed. If the guy is throwing strikes you can hit hard, it's silly to let them go by and get yourself behind in the count. Once that happens, Quintana won't give them anything else to hit.

Their bullpen stinks and has been overworked. He'll get a longer leash than we think, especially if they fall behind.

All their premium guys are fresh.

All their premium guys are fresh.

Who is that? Cishek has gone 4 out of the last 5 days. Chavez can't go 4-5 innings.

Watching game on ESPN. Have it in my office and the sound on in the classroom... I was surprised how many kids came in and asked if we could have it on in the background... It's a lab setting, so it isn't an issue.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived