Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-29: Tigers (Norris) at Brewers (Miley) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-5 -- Yelich, allegedly human, with two more HRs -- Triple Crown within reach]

Eye Black
Awesome sauce.

And the Rockies are losing to the Nats, thus increasing the odds for a tie in the NL West also, that sure wouldn’t hurt ...

It would be nice insurance for us if we don't win the division. If we're not fresh on Tuesday, it would help if our opponent isn't either. And since their loser would be coming to Milwaukee, they have a lot further to travel than us after Monday.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cubs already won tomorrow?

What? The Brewers will have another game after tomorrow. I don't see why you would use Chacin on 3 days rest (has he ever done that?) when there's such a high probability you'll wish you had saved him for the Cubs or the wild card game anyway.

If the Cubs lose and Brewers win the Brewers don't play until Thursday.

Yeah, I missed that scenario, but it seems pretty unlikely. I think the Cardinals are going to have a huge letdown game, and there's a chance the Brewers lose no matter who they start. Starting Chacin on 3 days rest in hopes that the Cubs lose and you can use him in game 2 of a series would be a foolish gamble IMO. It's set up perfectly for him to start against the Cubs or a WC foe, which are both much more likely scenarios than winning the division outright.

The Cardinals better be playing to win. I think it is lame when teams give up when still playing competing teams. Scherzer was suppose to pitch tomorrow if it had postseason implications...that’s what I love. A guy that wants to compete .

As someone mentioned in the other thread, I could actually see them playing better because the pressure is off. They're going to want to beat the Cubs no matter what.

I hope so and I hope they put out a line up that reflects that. They definitely should since they just got knocked out...seems bitter to just put a garbage time line up out. No point to letting young guys play at this point.

The Cardinals better be playing to win. I think it is lame when teams give up when still playing competing teams. Scherzer was suppose to pitch tomorrow if it had postseason implications...that’s what I love. A guy that wants to compete .

As someone mentioned in the other thread, I could actually see them playing better because the pressure is off. They're going to want to beat the Cubs no matter what.

The problem is I think they'll rest some guys. They've been fighting for their lives for a while now. If they had been eliminated 3+ days, I would agree about the pressure thing.

The problem is I think they'll rest some guys. They've been fighting for their lives for a while now. If they had been eliminated 3+ days, I would agree about the pressure thing.

Do teams rest guys on the last day of the season?

They got five months to rest after tomorrow. I think they can suck it up for one more game.

Is Jack Flaherty still throwing for the Cardinals tomorrow? I sure hope so. That guy is a stud. If the Cards can scratch out 2-3 runs, they'll stand a good chance. I would think they should be able to do that against Montgomery if they haven't already decided to quit for the year.

Yes, Flaherty is going for the Cardinals. The Cardinals, with the exception of Matt Carpenter, have hit Mike Montgomery well (LINK).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If there's one player that will want to treat tomorrow like it's game 7 it's yadi. If there's one player on that clubhouse you don't want to piss off, it's yadi. At least that's the straw I'm grasping at.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

If there's one player that will want to treat tomorrow like it's game 7 it's yadi. If there's one player on that clubhouse you don't want to piss off, it's yadi. At least that's the straw I'm grasping at.

If the Packers were eliminated from playoff contention in week 17 & played the Bears, who were playing for qualifying/seeding, would the Packers run out a crap lineup?

I think the Cards will be plenty motivated for tomorrow.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I really don't care what lineup the Cards put out. Typically players act as professionals; the same way Detroit is giving the Brewers all they can handle. Win your game and let the chips fall where they may

+1

What will be, will be.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Do teams rest guys on the last day of the season?

That's not the variable I'm considering. Teams rest guys when they've been playing a lot, but they probably haven't been giving their key guys any maintenance days lately. Maybe nobody needs/wants one, but if there's any fatigue at all, there's no reason to play everyone.

If the Packers were eliminated from playoff contention in week 17 & played the Bears, who were playing for qualifying/seeding, would the Packers run out a crap lineup?

They probably wouldn't start Rodgers or other stars....but that's a totally different scenario. Football is far more violent and you could lose a star for the following season far more likely in one play than you could in baseball.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Gio….oh boy...………………..what should we expect?

This worries me.

Hopefully, he has a very short leash, and Woodruff and/or Peralta are next in line if something goes wrong.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This worries me.

Hopefully, he has a very short leash, and Woodruff and/or Peralta are next in line if something goes wrong.

Counsell has done it all month. Don’t see him changing that tomorrow.

This worries me.

What has Gio done in the postseason? This is that type of game. And the guy has a great track record before this year. Maybe just the type of start he needs to thrive.

This worries me.

I'd be more worried against a better offense. This may actually work.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Someone earlier in the game thread asked why Adrian Houser wasn't up. I wonder the same thing. In fact, part of me wonders in he and Wilkerson (the only two guys with MLB experience who are on the 40-man but aren't up) have been doing anything to stay in shape. There's a good change we'll have to go to the pen early tomorrow, and likely Monday if there is an extra game to decide the division. If the Brewers have to play the Wild Card game on Tuesday, that pen could be pretty depleted.

There is a difference between tanking the game on purpose and just not quite being fully motivated. The last game of the season when you thought you had made the playoffs and then crapped the bed the final week easily could lead to a big letdown where players just aren't giving the 100% they wish they could give. I also feel like the Cardinals are sort of a lacksadasical team so they are more susceptible to this than most. (and no that certainly is not the Cardinal way but it seems to be true).

This worries me.

Lefty acquired during the season starting the last game of the year when the Brewers are tied for a playoff spot..

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived